Home

Harrison DPOTY

This is a discussion on Harrison DPOTY within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

OVR: 37
Harrison DPOTY

James Harrison- DPOTY
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3811266

Quote:
The announcement was made Monday.

Harrison, whose career-high 16 sacks set a team record, also led the NFL with a career-high seven forced fumbles. He beat Dallas' DeMarcus Ware in balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcaster. Pittsburgh's latest version of the Steel Curtain was the league's stingiest in total defense, pass defense and points allowed.

Harrison earned 22 votes to 13 for Ware.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Quote:
NEW YORK -- James Harrison slams down the current version of the Steel Curtain better than any Pittsburgh Steeler, earning him The Associated Press 2008 Defensive Player of the Year award.

The linebacker had a career-high 16 sacks, setting a team record, and led the NFL with a career-high seven forced fumbles to beat out Dallas' DeMarcus Ware in balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters announced Monday. Pittsburgh's defense was the league's stingiest in total defense, pass defense and points allowed.

Harrison was its main hammer.

"That's something that everybody in the league would love to have, to be voted the top player in the league for that year," Harrison said. "In my mind, I think I do -- and it's going to sound boring -- what the defense allows me to do and what my teammates allow me to do."

Harrison earned 22 votes to 13 for Ware.

Baltimore safety Ed Reed, the 2004 winner, got eight votes. Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth had five and Harrison's teammate, safety Troy Polamalu, got two.

Last edited by av7; 01-05-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 55
Re: Harrison DPOTY

I would have given it to either Haynesworth, Ware or Reed over Harrison, but he still had a great year so no major argument from me.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

I actually thought it would be even closer between Harrison, Ware, and Reed but I have no issue with Harrison winning it.

Congratulations to him.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

I'm happy for Harrison. He's worked hard to get to this point and is now reaping the benefits. He was cut by the Ravens and by the Steelers numerous times, but never quit.

Congrats to Silverback!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

If you think it was pretty much a toss up between Harrison/Ware/Haynesworth/Reed (like I do) then you'd probably give it to the guy on the #1 D in almost every category. Makes perfect sense and well deserved. I wonder if Ware would've taken it if Dallas made the playoffs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
If you think it was pretty much a toss up between Harrison/Ware/Haynesworth/Reed (like I do) then you'd probably give it to the guy on the #1 D in almost every category. Makes perfect sense and well deserved. I wonder if Ware would've taken it if Dallas made the playoffs.
I think he prob would have I mean the dude almost tied/set the sack record which is nuts. Having said that, Harrison had not too shabby 17 sacks and set a Steelers record which is impressive as hell considering who has been on that defense (not to mention 7 forced fumbles). I agree he deserved it, as he is a menace. Really equal to me between Reed, Harrison and Ware and Haynesworth would have made a push had he not been injured. Good selection.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

100+ tackles w/10+ sacks is a phenomenal year by any stretch of the imagination. That's like a 40/40 year in baseball. Or 2000 pts & 1000reb/assists in basketball. Individual success & working w/in the team concept.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »