Home

Are the Colts underachievers?

This is a discussion on Are the Colts underachievers? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: Are the Colts underachievers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaHataSupreme
An unnamed sports radio talk show host (he's unnamed because I'm not trying to blow his name up but I'm sure many will know exactly who I'm talking about) is trying to place all of the blame on Dungy saying its his time to go, all the while the quarterback, who has a rep for not performing well in big games and has had this rep since his college days, goes unscathed by said talk show host who mentions that he's basically the best QB of all time and that should be a reason why the Colts should have a dynasty. Don Shula had Marino for 16 years and they didn't win the chip, I wonder why that wasn't mentioned........

This same guy goes about to mention Andy Reid being 7-0 in divisional games, but how many championships does Andy Reid have? Would you rather have 7-0 in divisional games, 4 conf. champ appearances and a Super Bowl loss, or a not as good divisional playoff record and the chip? I know which one Eagles fans would take.

I looked on colts.com message boards, and some (not the majority, but some) actually let their QB go free of blame, but at the same time calling for Dungy's head (to the extent that he should step down because of this coaching performance the past 7 years).

Personally, I think this talk show host was trying to make a shock value statement, and he wanted to drum his shallow point in by asking not one, but TWO of his interviewees the same question; both replied with reasonable answers I'm sure he didn't want to hear.

This team had significant holes which deserve way more of the blame for this season than the head coach or the quarterback, who saw his running game and HOF WR seemingly vanish right before his eyes virtually overnight.

I'm not trying to remove all of the blame from Dungy's plate........... but honestly, I think some Colts fans just want to change for the sake of change, thinking that they were underachievers and that their team is better than it really is.
Well Whitlock puts it all on Manning for a bunch of amusing reasons.

Look at who the Colts lose to during the regular season. Look at who they lose to in the play-offs. Look at the stats from the games they lose in the regular season and compare that to the stats in the play-offs.

It boils down to the Colts and Dungy are very good at beating the teams they should beat and struggle against the better teams. They are a step slower and a couple years older than the team that won the Superbowl. They had their moment in the sun and have plateaued.

Basically, I don't think its as much coaching or lack of performance in the play-offs as it is that they are facing better teams that know the Colts general scheme and are matching or exceeding them in talent. In fact, I think Dungy has done a veryu good job of getting the Colts up for every game and not taking lesser teams lightly over the year. But like I said, go look at the losses the Colts have had in the regular season and compare that to the play-off losses. I think you'll see a trend there.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

I don't think a change at head coach would be horrible for the Colts. I love Dungy like everyone else seems too, but maybe a change would be best.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaHataSupreme
An unnamed sports radio talk show host (he's unnamed because I'm not trying to blow his name up but I'm sure many will know exactly who I'm talking about) is trying to place all of the blame on Dungy saying its his time to go, all the while the quarterback, who has a rep for not performing well in big games and has had this rep since his college days, goes unscathed by said talk show host who mentions that he's basically the best QB of all time and that should be a reason why the Colts should have a dynasty. Don Shula had Marino for 16 years and they didn't win the chip, I wonder why that wasn't mentioned........

This same guy goes about to mention Andy Reid being 7-0 in divisional games, but how many championships does Andy Reid have? Would you rather have 7-0 in divisional games, 4 conf. champ appearances and a Super Bowl loss, or a not as good divisional playoff record and the chip? I know which one Eagles fans would take.

I looked on colts.com message boards, and some (not the majority, but some) actually let their QB go free of blame, but at the same time calling for Dungy's head (to the extent that he should step down because of this coaching performance the past 7 years).

Personally, I think this talk show host was trying to make a shock value statement, and he wanted to drum his shallow point in by asking not one, but TWO of his interviewees the same question; both replied with reasonable answers I'm sure he didn't want to hear.

This team had significant holes which deserve way more of the blame for this season than the head coach or the quarterback, who saw his running game and HOF WR seemingly vanish right before his eyes virtually overnight.

I'm not trying to remove all of the blame from Dungy's plate........... but honestly, I think some Colts fans just want to change for the sake of change, thinking that they were underachievers and that their team is better than it really is.

I listen to the Thundering Herd podcast every day. I didn't agree with him, but at least he made a strong case for his point. I could see why he maybe able to get people to agree with him. I am not one though. Oh and if you wanted to keep that host's name out of this thread. My bad.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 29

[Loses a game in sudden death overtime]

THIS TEAM IS FULL OF UNDERACHIEVERS!!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 12

Ok, I am the ultimate Colts fan but one of the more realstic ones..I think Dungy needs to go.......

I love him but we need a coach to light a fire under these players butts come playoff time......We routinely become one the most undisciplined teams in the league during the playoffs while we're one the most disciplined teams during the regular season...

I just don't get it at all........

Add to that the fact that they face injury after freakin injury year after year.....Peyton, Marvin, Clark, Addai, Sanders, Freeney, Mathis, Brackett, Marlin Jackson, Keaiho and the entire offensive line basically....Everytime I look up somebody is missing a few games here and there....

I don't know if they need new trainers or if the Colts players will be destined to be hurt all the time because of how small they are........

We need to get rid of that bs, tampa 2 garbage so we can stop drafting all these small players to fit that garbage defense......Then we can actually get what we need, some bigger run blocking offensive lineman and some run stuffing defensive lineman.........No wonder we're a great passing team and a terrible run team, we have a bunch of pass blocking, small O-lineman, of course they can't push anybody off the ball when we need a yard.......

I'm content with the secondary, with Bethea, and a healthy Marlin Jackson, Bob Sanders and Kelvin Hayden, I'm satisfied........They're just never healthy...

I'm getting used to this though......the last few years I barely even talk about the Colts until the playoffs because we know they'll win 12 games a year as long as Manning is there.......But it doesn't matter if they keep losing in the first round.....

They are the classic underacheivers IMO
Old 01-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 30

You can win a Super Bowl and still be underachievers.

If the 49s had won one Super Bowl in the 80s/90s, they'd have been underachievers.

And yes, the Colts are underachievers. In the last 7 years, they've won 7 playoff games. In that stretch, they've lost to Norv Turner coached San Diego teams twice and a 41 point beatdown by New York. While the Steelers did win the Super Bowl, you shouldn't lose your first playoff game at home after winning 14 games.

They achieved in the Super Bowl year.

I'm willing to give them a pass on the 2 years they lost to the Patriots, but I don't think they should have lost both.

Overall, in the Manning era, they're 7-8 with 6 losses in their first game. They should have won more.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

I'll give them a pass on the first one I damn sure wouldn't give them a pass on the second meeting.

Rules were changed to benefit them and they still couldn't get the job done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 14

Shoulda been 3 losses to the Pats if Jabbar Gaffney wouldnt drop wideopen passes for tds.

The Colts are a regular season team they know how to collect W's and move on to the next game. But when the playoffs roll around everyone changes their mentality except for them.

Only reason why they won the superbowl is cause their defense showed up in the playoffs. When the pressure on the colts usually crumble.
Vic: Well, in one, one girl wins. In the other....
Kenny: Everyone wins?!?!

Captain Tenneal: Get it on!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »