Home

Young or Leinart- Who Has the Best Chance of Doing Something With their Career?

This is a discussion on Young or Leinart- Who Has the Best Chance of Doing Something With their Career? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #57
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Young or Leinart- Who Has the Best Chance of Doing Something With their Career?

Actually FWIW, the Titans will suffer a net cap loss of $3M if they released/traded him this offseason. Very manageable. Next offseason, he is due a $10M roster bonus taking his cap number to $14M or so. They may not have the luxury of letting him sit the entire year without proving something. My source on all this is a cap guru Titans fan from another board though, not 100% concrete.

Then again, 2010 is probably going to be uncapped, or very healthily capped.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #58
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Young or Leinart- Who Has the Best Chance of Doing Something With their Career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Actually FWIW, the Titans will suffer a net cap loss of $3M if they released/traded him this offseason. Very manageable. Next offseason, he is due a $10M roster bonus taking his cap number to $14M or so. They may not have the luxury of letting him sit the entire year without proving something. My source on all this is a cap guru Titans fan from another board though, not 100% concrete.

Then again, 2010 is probably going to be uncapped, or very healthily capped.
$3m seems awfully low for a guy picked that high in 2006. Unless his bonus was real small. I can see his cap # being $3m for the season, but not the pro-rated amount of his bonus being due.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #59
Banned

OVR: 29

I'd rather have Michael Vick than either of these two chumps.

I'm not even kidding about this. He would be 100x cheaper and would be easier to jettison if it doesn't work out.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #60
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The C
I'd rather have Michael Vick than either of these two chumps.

I'm not even kidding about this. He would be 100x cheaper and would be easier to jettison if it doesn't work out.
You're a Browns fan, beggars can't be choosers.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #61
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
$3m seems awfully low for a guy picked that high in 2006. Unless his bonus was real small. I can see his cap # being $3m for the season, but not the pro-rated amount of his bonus being due.
Net loss. So his cap number for 2009 is $6M, and the accelerating prorated bonus would total $9M. So a release/trade = -$3M in cap space if he remained on the team.

Let me see if I can find the specifics (those numbers were just an example).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 7

VY, only because if he ever got his head straight he would be a great talent.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #63
Nza
MVP

This is a quote regarding VY's cap status:

Quote:
The third-year quarterback's 2009 cap number is a very palatable $4.6 million, but it jumps to $14.2 million in 2010. And if they either cut him or trade him in 2009, he would count as $7.74 million on their cap in 2009 because of the pro-rated signing bonuses and guarantees that would come due immediately.
So $3.14M in extra cap space would be used for 2009/10 if Vince Young is traded or released (or retires?) on or after March 1st in 2009, according to that calculation. He's entering the 4th season of a 6 year deal, so it adds up to me, and the $10M bonus for 2010 may be a big factor in how he's used this season.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #64
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
This is a quote regarding VY's cap status:

So $3.14M in extra cap space would be used for 2009/10 if Vince Young is traded or released (or retires?) on or after March 1st in 2009, according to that calculation. He's entering the 4th season of a 6 year deal, so it adds up to me, and the $10M bonus for 2010 may be a big factor in how he's used this season.
nope you are right. It didn't dawn on me it was going to be his 4th season. Time flies I guess.

I still don't think you can dump him at this point.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »