Home

Eyebrow-Raising Article on Marvin Harrison

This is a discussion on Eyebrow-Raising Article on Marvin Harrison within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #25
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Eyebrow-Raising Article on Marvin Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter

no need to comment when someone nails it like that...
good post JB
Thanks man...felt it was necessary after so people wanted to 'burn him at the stake' like another poster put it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #26
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mddst34
I dont think he is phony at all. Quite the opposite really. He isnt selling out to anyone and doesnt pretend to be something different than he really is. He isnt gallivanting around endorsing stuff , speaking to kids , trying to be a role model. He is hardcore and he knows it. Hes like the dude in American Gangster.
Basically. I actually don't feel any different about the guy. Sometimes I think people try to hard to make a personal connection with people that entertain us. We don't know these people at all. There are thousands of Marvin Harrisons out there who just can't catch footballs. Some of them are horrible people, some are good people that decided to do bad things for what they felt were the right reasons. Sounds to me like Marvin's been true to himself even after the fame and fortune, and gives back to his community in the best way HE knows how. Assuming all of this is true, I'm not defending the guy, but it's just not that shocking either. Watch The Wire... may help explain what I mean.

I'd also say I wouldn't expect more to come out as someone else mentioned. He's gone 13 years without this even being a thought in anyone's mind. It's not about the fame or power, it's about making a living and supporting his people. I wouldn't doubt that if he's done these things, he's done some other bad things also, but he handles the situation much like he does football.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #27
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Basically. I actually don't feel any different about the guy. Sometimes I think people try to hard to make a personal connection with people that entertain us. We don't know these people at all. There are thousands of Marvin Harrisons out there who just can't catch footballs. Some of them are horrible people, some are good people that decided to do bad things for what they felt were the right reasons. Sounds to me like Marvin's been true to himself even after the fame and fortune, and gives back to his community in the best way HE knows how. Assuming all of this is true, I'm not defending the guy, but it's just not that shocking either. Watch The Wire... may help explain what I mean.

I'd also say I wouldn't expect more to come out as someone else mentioned. He's gone 13 years without this even being a thought in anyone's mind. It's not about the fame or power, it's about making a living and supporting his people. I wouldn't doubt that if he's done these things, he's done some other bad things also, but he handles the situation much like he does football.
Great post wwharton.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton

I immediately thought of Avon after reading the article.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #29
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

OVR: 37

Kinda hard to bull**** an excuse for why bullets at the scene matched his unique Belgian pistol, when it was supposedly 30 minutes away at his home?

Last edited by av7; 01-14-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by juk34man
I've meet him a couple times and always see him in the off season, if I didn't watch sports I would not know that he play in the NFL....I won't be surprise if all this was true, not saying that he portrays himself as a "thug" it's just that he seem like a regular guy from Philly...I dont think he fire the shots tho....
Why don't you think he fired the shots?

-----
This article makes it clear that Marvin is a private guy. When fans don't get that (I think we have all seen fans who feel entitled to an autograph and can be very disparaging and annoying) he shouldn't choke them obviously but he definitely has no reason to give autographs.

I would have liked to known how Marvin is viewed in the neighborhood. What his bar is like. Is he merely a vigilante or is he trying to restore order where there is none?

Interesting dude for sure.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #31
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

All I have to say is people need to stop building these athletes up and basing their personal opinions of the type of PERSON they are(off the field) based on the on-field performance.

Just because Chad Johnson is a hot-dog when he scores doesn't mean he's a jerk in his personal life anymore than the player who just hands the ball to the ref is a "good kid".

In the end, I can be anybody you want me to be for a 4hr football game. But if you really knew me, would you really like me the other 20 hours of the day?

Last edited by stoncold32; 01-14-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 AM   #32
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

one thing I dont understand is.....

in the Neighborhood forum...people want "the other side of the story" and the benefit of the doubt....

but when it comes to these atheletes, ALL that is out the window....I swear we forget theres a face behind those helmets sometimes..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »