Home

Best WR currently in the league?

This is a discussion on Best WR currently in the league? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Best WR in the NFL
Larry Fitzgerald 100 52.36%
Andre Johnson 44 23.04%
Calvin Johnson 12 6.28%
Randy Moss 17 8.90%
Steve Smith 9 4.71%
Reggie Wayne 2 1.05%
Brandon Marshall 0 0%
Greg Jennings 3 1.57%
Anquan Boldin 2 1.05%
Terrell Owens 2 1.05%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #25
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Best WR currently in the league?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
If we're going on pure playmaking ability and not just looking at numbers, I'd actually take Jennings over Boldin.

Boldin is a great YAC guy and he's a great player, but he doesn't really stretch the field. Jennings is a great YAC guy (although not nearly as physical as Boldin) but also has the ability to stretch the field. I think Jennings is a little more versatile and a bit more of a pure playmaker than Boldin. No knock on Boldin of course.
I have an affinity for 'possession' WR's with deceptive speed and great ball moves. I definately think that 5 spot is debatable between alot of guys. I just love watching Boldin play as I think he not only knows what to do when he gets the ball, he also has a knack for getting seperation from defenders even though he isn't a freak physically.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2009, 12:37 AM   #26
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I have an affinity for 'possession' WR's with deceptive speed and great ball moves. I definately think that 5 spot is debatable between alot of guys. I just love watching Boldin play as I think he not only knows what to do when he gets the ball, he also has a knack for getting seperation from defenders even though he isn't a freak physically.
I have the same affinity actually. I generally do as well. Jennings just jumps off the screen whenever I watch him play.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:50 AM   #27
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I have the same affinity actually. I generally do as well. Jennings just jumps off the screen whenever I watch him play.
Yep. He's definately has the ability to dominate in a more complete way. But I've always liked guys who did what they did and did it well. I don't know. That's probaly why I've never been annoyed by how Randy Moss career has turned out. He doesn't have a complete game so to speak but I know he has gotten continously better at running that streak route throughout his latter days at Minnesota (didn't really see him in college)....from keeping the same tempo and eyes throughout, to making crazy ball adjusments. It's not the complete dominance that he should've become, but he's got a fat new contract because of his talent.

Then again, I look at a guy like Steve Smith whose become a tremendous route runner through the years because of his combination of quickness, unpredictability, and hardwork and say that's my favorite WR. Roddy White is becoming the same way (just less talented).
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 01-23-2009, 12:50 AM   #28
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Fitz is close to Moss's hand eye coordination and leaping ability but doesn't have the strides that Moss has. I would have to go with Moss because you have to do too much to compensate for his physical gifts.

Steve Smith would be my #2. When he gets consistent play from Delhomme, he is very much unstoppable at times. Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Anquan Boldin would round out my top 5.
I agree with this post, but the #1 and #2 are a little but more gray for me...Ive never seen a WR bail his QB out of more bad throws than Steve Smith. When you think "throw it up and pray" your usually thinking about a 6'4 guy going up and getting it, but what Smitty does at 5'9 is remarkable. he defines playmaker.

Moss though? naturally gifted freak....cant say enough about this guy either.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #29
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Fitzgerald is nearing that Randy Moss level of "throw it up, he's gonna come down with it." Whoever is his QB, they're a lucky guy. I'm going to abstain from voting though. All these guys are so worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #30
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco West
Why does everyone say he can't stay healthy? 2007 was really the only year where injury took him out for most of the season. He's missed 10 games his entire NFL career.

But on the subject on the matter, I voted Andre Johnson. I'm pretty sure if he was in the playoffs, he'd be doing the same thing Larry is doing. I'm not taking anything away from Larry, just saying Andre is a beast, it's a shame people don't learn about him until he plays their team.
You say that like I insulted him. It's not about how many games he's missed, it's about how healthy he's been. If he'd been 100% for his entire career (or even most of it), it'd be clear to most now how insanely talented he is. Hopefully this year is the start of a long stretch of making his mark.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #31
We Spent Some Money!

ZM Punk's Arena

OVR: 32

Andre Johnson.

The guy is an absolute beast, despite having the duo of Schaub and Rosenfelds throwing him the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

Fitzgerald or A.Johnson.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »