Home

Pat White, QB or Not QB in NFL?

This is a discussion on Pat White, QB or Not QB in NFL? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Pat White, QB or Not in the NFL?
Yes 10 15.63%
No 34 53.13%
Maybe with work. 20 31.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #17
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Re: Pat White, QB or Not QB in NFL?

I stated this in another thread about Pat White. Nothing from the Senior Bowl has changed my perception of his at the next level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
If a team were to play Pat White at the QB position he IMO would have to land in a Sennaca Wallace type situation (3rd QB for 2 seasons, then 2nd while staying in the same offense. Wallace knows the Seattle WCO as well as Holmgren and Hasselback.) The run heavy spread that WVU ran did nothing to help prepare him for the quick reads that will be required of him at the next level. I don't want to get into a big thing about his accuracy, but I will say that in the games that I saw I didn't see him hit his guys in stride as much as I would've liked. He will have a very steep learning curve at the next level. He is IMO a major project at the QB position at the next level. Very little of what I saw from him in the past 3 seasons say NFL quarterback to me. I do wish him all the best and would love to be wrong about him, but I just don't see it.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Charlie Ward comes to mind.
That is insulting to Charlie Ward, Pat White is no where near his level. Charlie Ward took the stance that if he was not a First Round pick then he was going to play in the NBA. NFL teams were still worried that if he was a First Round pick he'd still go to the NBA so no one bit, and from there it would have been a wasted pick.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
That is insulting to Charlie Ward, Pat White is no where near his level. Charlie Ward took the stance that if he was not a First Round pick then he was going to play in the NBA. NFL teams were still worried that if he was a First Round pick he'd still go to the NBA so no one bit, and from there it would have been a wasted pick.

True. Charlie Ward was seen as a top 15 pick at the time, but he publicly said his love was basketball, and was never considered. Charlie Ward was a beast.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulk
True. Charlie Ward was seen as a top 15 pick at the time, but he publicly said his love was basketball, and was never considered. Charlie Ward was a beast.
And at that time the Bo Jackson saga was still fresh in team's memories, no one wanted to potentially waste a first round pick for the player to never sign.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #21
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Maybe Marcus Vick.

Michael Vick was one of the best prospects of all time. He easily had the highest "potential" coming out of school of any NFL player ever, and aside from maybe Lebron, any sports player I've heard of.
I'd take Marcus Vick at QB over White actually. Marcus had head problems. If his head was screwed on straight he could've been a decent QB, but that's beside the point really. I'm not saying that Marcus is/was a better QB that White, but White's potential as a WR is MUCH greater than Marcus. It'd be a waste to put him at QB. As others have said he can get on the field right away and excel at other positions while it'd take a loooong time for him to even get a real shot at starting QB, if ever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

I hate it when these type of guys are not even given the chance to play QB. I understand teams have taken the risk and got burned but I think alot of these guys would be good in the right system ala Michael Vick.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #23
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminoles912
I hate it when these type of guys are not even given the chance to play QB. I understand teams have taken the risk and got burned but I think alot of these guys would be good in the right system ala Michael Vick.

In todays win now NFL you don't have the time to take a chance on a player like Pat White (unless you play in New England) and have it not pan out. Look at the Titans. If that team didn't have Collins there this year they would've been sunk and either the GM or the Coach would've more than likely lost their job.

Pat White is a project at QB. If you are gonna take a project at QB you damn well better have a starter in place who can win you enough game to keep working on your project, especially at the QB position. You get more margin for error if you take him as a WR and it doesn't work out because there are cases where it has worked. You look at QB's like White and there is an pattern of it not working out. That is why at this point you take White as a QB and you the GM have put your self out there to fall on the sword if it doesn't work.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #24
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Determination and work ethic aren't going to make a quarterback in the NFL.

If he's intent on playing quarterback, I see 2 years on the practice squad and then whatever minor league is hot at that time.
Basically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Agreed.

Wtf is 'pro style'. My style is 'giving my team the best chance to win'.

i dont care if my qb scrambles all game and completes 0 passes as long as he wins the game. I rather him, than a pocket passer that goes 16/33 and loses.

the NFL is stubborn that way.

"oh this guy is good, he won the heisman, ridiculous stats, oops he's 6'0 180 pds, and has an average arm, better sign that 6'2 220 pd, backup thats never played a snap since highschool".

An Pat White wants to play quarterback not pocket-passer-back. Quarterbacks can pass, run, heck catch the ball. I don't see why the NFL coaches restrict them to just throwing the ball.
He can always go to Canada or the AFL if he wants to remain in a Spread Offense. Otherwise, playing in a Spread Offense for your whole College career does nothing to prepare him for the NFL because all it's doing is hiding his flaws, which would be bound to start popping up eventually in the NFL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »