Home

NFL Hall of Fame class of 2009

This is a discussion on NFL Hall of Fame class of 2009 within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #17
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: NFL Hall of Fame class of 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie56
How did Irvin get in his second year of eligibility then?
I wanna know the same.Irvin's numbers are no were near Chris Carter's....
Old 01-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjallure24
Even though I know he won't get inducted into the Hall of Fame,but Russ Grimm should get in.How can you be apart of one of the greatest offensive lines of all time and not inducted.....
Simple: be Bob Keuchenberg. He was part of, IMO, an absurdly underrated line and will never get in.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:50 PM   #19
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

I can't even begin to describe how awesome it was to learn DT made it in.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:54 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 62

Cris Carter should be in but he was not the type of difference maker that Michael Irvin was. Stats aren't the be all end all of the NFL like they are with MLB. I am shocked Paul Tagliabue isn't in, he should be in over Ralph Wilson.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 6

Cris Carter might have a problem next year because Jerry Rice, Tim Brown and Emmitt Smith will be eligible. He will get in eventually so I don't think it is that big of a deal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #22
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I can't argue much over the inductees this year. Bullet Bob Hayes should've been inducted a long time ago, sure he doesn't have the greatest numbers compared to modern day WRs but the man revolutionized the position and led the way to the era of the vertical passing attack.

The only guy i'm a bit iffy on is Randal McDaniel, I thought he was a very good player over the years but a HOFer? Eh, not really.

Nice to see Bruce Smith AND Ralph Wilson get in. Ralph has been waiting to get into the Hall as an owner for a few years now. At least he'll be inducted while still living.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #23
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
sure he doesn't have the greatest numbers compared to modern day WRs but the man revolutionized the position and led the way to the era of the vertical passing attack.
It's difficult to compare WR stats across eras obviously, but Hayes' numbers in his era are HOF caliber

quoting "Hostile" from Cowboyszone.com

"Bob Hayes scored TDs at a faster rate than even the great Jerry Rice. Jerry found the endzone once ever 5.3 receptions. That makes him 3rd all time for scores per reception. Bob Hayes is the all time leader in that stat with a score every 4.7 times he caught the ball. In other words, if he had 10 receptions in a game it was quite likely he was going to score twice. With today's relaxed rules, it probably would go up. Scratch that, it definitely would go up.

Hayes average per reception was a mind blowing 20.0 yards per catch. Every time he touched the ball. Easily the best ever
. "

also, before Hayes was voted in, there was only one other HOF wide receiver with at least 5 seasons of 10+ TDs. Now there are two

...but like you said, his impact on the game was more than numbers. It would be difficult to write a book of the history of the NFL without having a chapter on Hayes.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Cris Carter should be in but he was not the type of difference maker that Michael Irvin was. Stats aren't the be all end all of the NFL like they are with MLB.
Even if you use stats, Irvin's per game/season stats are better than Carter's by a long shot.

Carter accumulated over a long period. With the influx in passing over the last 20 years, that's going to be the big thing with receivers, as Jimmy/Rod Smith and McKardell fall into the same category of having great career stats (top 10 in major categories), but not being top receivers. Curtis Martin falls into this as well.

Quote:
The only guy i'm a bit iffy on is Randal McDaniel, I thought he was a very good player over the years but a HOFer? Eh, not really.
12 time Pro Bowl and 7 time AP All Pro isn't Hall of Fame worthy? He was voted first team All NFL every year from 1990-1998.

Not even a question that he deserved it.

Last edited by Cebby; 01-31-2009 at 04:32 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »