Home

Big Ben the 2nd best QB in the league today? LOL

This is a discussion on Big Ben the 2nd best QB in the league today? LOL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Big Ben the 2nd best QB in the league today? LOL

Oh, I'm taking nothing away from the fact that Manning and Brees are great QB's. I'm just saying, all Big Ben does is win, and people seem to be damning him because he doesn't play in a prolific type of offense, or he doesn't have the fundamentals of the QB's like Manning or Brady.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #58
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyT11
It is pure foolishness and stupidity to think that a team of boys would go out and beat a team full of men. Let alone a team who was dominated twice on it's own level and one of them was Utah. There is no way Alabama would stand a chance against any NFL team even the Lions.
I agree. A NFL team will destroy any College team.

Let Alabama play the Lions. Alabama would get DESTROYED!
The NFL is not only so much stronger and faster, but more sophisticated.
Comon now, she ruined her creditbility for making a foolish statement.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamannator
Because for some reason you always seem to bring something about the Colts or Manning up when a discussion involves another QB being better than others.
Interesting. Please go back through this thread and tell me where I deliberately brought up Peyton Manning. I never even said anything about Manning until you guys started talking about him.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 02-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #60
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

My list is:

1.Pennington
2. Beck
3. Henne
4. Brown

5. Brady

Seriously, the only number Ben prolly cares about is his 2 Superbowl rings....
Old 02-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #61
We'll waste him too.

snepp's Arena

OVR: 32

Come on, there's no way Henne is better than Manning. Beck maybe....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #62
MVP

SpacemanSpiff's Arena

OVR: 17

It's so hard to compare stats between QBs because the system or the offense they operate in can change so much. Big Ben plays behind a mediocre line and he plays a very unstructured style of offense. Many other QBs go through their reads and if nothing is open at all they go to their last checkdown or throw it away. Roethlisberger knows he possesses a huge advantage with his size and escapability in the pocket so he tries to keep the play alive, letting his receivers get open. This is the main reason he's so money on late drives. I don't know the specific stats but Ben has a large number of comeback drives late in the game on his resume. That play against the Ravens with the disputed Santonio TD, the drive against the Cards yesterday, no other QB can make those plays.

With that said, that doesn't make him the best or even second best QB in the league. There is much more to football than the aspect of passing that Roethlisberger excels at. But I do think he is a better QB than Warner who plays with three great receivers that run well after the catch. I'm not sure Warner really had any throws that travelled over 15 yards through the air. Warner is a very accurate QB and his stats have always looked like gold but I honestly believe Roethlisberger gave his team a better chance to win than Warner could have.

I don't think there's a real definitive, empirical answer that will satisfy everyone. For each system, there is a QB that fits it better than others so there really is no point in arguing for a "correct answer". I do know that there are no more than 2 QBs that the Steelers would even consider trading Ben for and even then, they'd probably decline.

My top five, just for fun:
1. Tom Brady
2. Peyton Manning
3. Ben Roethlisberger
4. Drew Brees
5. Philip Rivers
NCAA: UNC
Old 02-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
But to be quite honest, give any team Pittsburgh's defense and they'd all be successful...hell if Peyton had that defense, he'd already have like 7 rings.
Statements like this one make your credibility go out the window. Your hidden agenda fools no one.

Tell me something.

Before Ben arrived, Pitt had a strong D and running game for eons, yet they had nothing to show for it since 1980. Alot of QB's came and went. What's different now?

Explain that for me, will you please. Especially since their running game and oline is now a shell of it's former self.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #64
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfan2k1
The great thing about Ben is that he is the perfect fit for the Steelers and the philosophy we have. Remember that the Steelers were primarily a running team for years, and then they got far away from that during the brief Tommy Maddox era. Kevin Colbert wanted Big Ben as our next QB, because he allows you to strike a balance with a run-oriented approach and a passing game that moves the chains (as opposed to generating huge yards and touchdowns).

As such, it doesn't matter if he is the #2 or #20 overall QB in the league. Until he leaves the Steelers, he will have a similar role of orchestrating this balanced approach. He will never put up numbers like Brees, Manning, 2007 Brady or even Rivers in our offense.

So - I have no problem with the idea that Ben is just an "average" QB in the overall rankings. But - he has no peers when it comes to playing within our system. I literally would take him over any other QB in the league as the starting QB for the Steelers.
QFT

It's also amazing what one game will do for somebody in a span of 24 hours.

I've heard it all from Big Ben is a Top 5 QB to Big Ben is now a HOFer. If only people would know how to put things in perspective here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »