Home

So, the Steelers the new "America's Team"???

This is a discussion on So, the Steelers the new "America's Team"??? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #17
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: So, the Steelers the new "America's Team"???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Why would the Steelers want this curse.
Seems like Art Rooney knew what he was doing when he declined the title from the Sabols in the late '70s. Actually if you think about it the Steelers and Packers probably hold a greater claim to that mythical title then the Cowboys because no matter how bad those two teams are they still travel well and have a collegiate atmosphere/type of fanbase.

The Cowboys have always seemed to be that "trendy" team that NEEDS to have long term success for people to be on their bandwagon. Just look at the mid '80s til Jimmy Johnson came along. The Steelers and Packers had longer droughts of success but by and large kept their fanbase outside of their respective cities.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 02-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #18
Lex
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
Troll much?

"America's Team" is just a stupid tag that the media will throw on the "hot" team of the moment.

The Steelers already have fans stretching across the nation (and even beyond), but it's not because they're "America's Team." It's because everyone left Pittsburgh when the steel mills shut down, but they still support their home town team and have taught their sons and daughters to do the same.
I think it has a lot to do with the Steelers being good when the league gained tremendous popularity. When you think about it, a lot of Gen Xers were kids when the Steelers were good. Little kids dont always pick the local teams. Theyll often follow a team that is good when theyre young. That was the Steelers at a time when the league really started to take off.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #19
Lex
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Seems like Art Rooney knew what he was doing when he declined the title from the Sabols in the late '70s. Actually if you think about it the Steelers and Packers probably hold a greater claim to that mythical title then the Cowboys because no matter how bad those two teams are they still travel well and have a collegiate atmosphere/type of fanbase.

The Cowboys have always seemed to be that "trendy" team that NEEDS to have long term success for people to be on their bandwagon. Just look at the mid '80s til Jimmy Johnson came along. The Steelers and Packers had longer droughts of success but by and large kept their fanbase outside of their respective cities.
The Packers lost a lot of luster prior to the Favre/White era. They really didnt have THAT much cache for a while. Theyve always had tremendous local appeal but for several years their national appeal was diminished.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #20
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
I think it has a lot to do with the Steelers being good when the league gained tremendous popularity. When you think about it, a lot of Gen Xers were kids when the Steelers were good. Little kids dont always pick the local teams. Theyll often follow a team that is good when theyre young. That was the Steelers at a time when the league really started to take off.
That's a valid point as well. I know a bunch of kids my age (20 or so) who are Cowboys fans because they were so good in the early 1990's and everyone wanted to root for the winner. Same with the Yankees.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by The C
Just about everyone has their own team.

America's Team is stupid media fluff.
Basically the answer to the thread right here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #22
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

I agree with both Lex and SPTO. During the 70s/80s, other than folks from Wisconsin and maybe a few people outside, times were horrible in Green Bay and prior to Holmgren/Wolf/Favre coming here, we were downright disgusting.

But at the sametime, I don't think anybody can dispute the fact that have been one the league's most successful teams in the last 2 decades and also have one of the largest fanbases in the league.

Even when had our only losing season in the Favre Era, we still traveled pretty damn well.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #23
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The C
Just about everyone has their own team.

America's Team is stupid media fluff.
While that may be true, the majority of NFL fans automatically think of the Cowboys when they hear that term no? I'm surprised that the Cowboy fans actually hate that title and feel like it puts more pressure on their team when in fact it's helped sell jerseys and lure many good if not great players to the "Lakers" of the NFL. (no offense to Boston fans but the Lakers are more media friendly than a blue collar hard nosed defensive team)
Old 02-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #24
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

What does America's Team even mean? That's one of silliest, anger-inducing hype terms I've ever heard, lol. I guess everyone else is in the CFL

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »