Home

Team of the Decade Pats or Steelers?

This is a discussion on Team of the Decade Pats or Steelers? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Team of the Decade?
New England Patriots 123 88.49%
Pittsburgh Steelers 16 11.51%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: Team of the Decade Pats or Steelers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyT11
I don't see how this is even a question. Especially considering the Pats have been to TWICE as many Super Bowls and have more Super Bowl wins. If you take it even further the numbers are even more in favor of the Pats. Since 2001 which this article uses as the start point the Pat are 97-31 to the Steelers 85-42-1. Not to mention the all the records the Pats have broken and the perfect regular season. But the final nail in the coffin for the Steelers is the fact that the Pats have beat them in both of their playoff matchups. So that shows when they went head to head when it mattered most the Pats won BOTH games. I mean there was talk of the Pats being a dynasty. There is ZERO dynasty talk of this Steelers team.
Spygate has diminished what the Patriots have "accomplished". People talk about how they almost went undefeated after spygate. Its irrelevant and its irrelevant because they changed their MO. Before spygate they had started acquiring guys who were a risk in terms of character and also started getting big money FA like Adalius Thomas. In the time of most of their SB wins, their approach was more the opposite.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Not even close...
What? how are then Colts not even close? If they win next years Super Bowl, which is very likely, they're right there and you could make an argument for them. When discussing "Teams of the Decade" the Colts are most definitely in the discussion....they probably wouldn't win the debate because the Pats have been so good this decade, but they're still in the discussion. I think you're being way too harsh by saying "not even close." Because in reality if we were to put up one more team in this debate/poll, what team would it be? The Colts.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #51
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Sorry didn't qoute... this response was to PPM.

They deserve props but I just don't see how they can pass the pats with just one year left. The Pats dominate the regular season. Even a year like this one when they miss the playoffs, they finish with 11 victories. They dominate the playoffs... thought another SB victory would get the Steelers tied with them and a better SB winning percentage. And I still give them points for a perfect regular season.

I guess if the Steelers make a good case if they win the SB next year. I'd still personally give it to the Pats but I think it'd be a much better discussion than right now where I'd say it's the Pats hands down.

Last edited by wwharton; 02-04-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #52
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburn387
What? how are then Colts not even close? If they win next years Super Bowl, which is very likely, they're right there and you could make an argument for them. When discussing "Teams of the Decade" the Colts are most definitely in the discussion....they probably wouldn't win the debate because the Pats have been so good this decade, but they're still in the discussion. I think you're being way too harsh by saying "not even close." Because in reality if we were to put up one more team in this debate/poll, what team would it be? The Colts.
First of all, it's not "very likely" that any team will win the SB next year. That's just a silly statement. It also diminishes how impressive it is that both the Pats and Steelers have won multiple SBs in such a short timeframe. It's the reason they are the only two teams even worth a mention. No other team deserves to be in the discussion. And if the Colts do somehow find a way to win the SB next year, they still aren't in the discussion b/c the Pats have 3 victories, 4 appearances and a 16-0 regular season on their resume. We're not discussing who can come close, we're discussing what ONE team is the best this decade. The Colts have no shot at that.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
The Colts cannot pass the Patriots. If the Colts win next year, I'd put them ahead of the Steelers, but at this point, nobody could pass the Pats, and only Pittsburgh can have an argument.

Right now its Pats then Steelers, then Colts, but the distance from the Pats to the Colts is huge.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #54
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Is this a serious question? You're seriously asking how is finishing #1 three times and #2 once better than finishing #1 three times and #*worse than 2* once?

Here are the best possible outcomes (ignoring the fact that #1 pick may be the second best outcome)

1. Super Bowl win
2. Super Bowl loss
3/4. Championship game loss
5-8. Division loss
9-12. Wild card loss

Here are each team's numerical values of seasons this way (assuming Steelers win the chip and NE loses in the first round).

So in this case, they'd be exactly the same, except NE went to the Super Bowl, while Pittsburgh lost in the AFC chip.

How in the world is finishing second not a better performance than finishing worse than second? That's completely illogical (with the exception being the BCS).
Breakin it down...

Style.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
First of all, it's not "very likely" that any team will win the SB next year. That's just a silly statement. It also diminishes how impressive it is that both the Pats and Steelers have won multiple SBs in such a short timeframe. It's the reason they are the only two teams even worth a mention. No other team deserves to be in the discussion. And if the Colts do somehow find a way to win the SB next year, they still aren't in the discussion b/c the Pats have 3 victories, 4 appearances and a 16-0 regular season on their resume. We're not discussing who can come close, we're discussing what ONE team is the best this decade. The Colts have no shot at that.
Then what was even the point in making this thread if the Pats are hands down, no argument needed, the team of the decade? We're arguing the team of the decade and right now it's the Pats, Steelers, and Colts. I understand the thread says just Pats and Steelers, but realistically if there were another team then it'd be the Colts. If they win the Super Bowl next year, which is likely(don't care what you say, it's more likely that they'll win it than well over half of the other teams in the league), then in my opinion they move ahead of the Steelers as the 2nd best team. But like I said...you say if the Colts win the Super bowl next year, they still don't have a shot to beat the Patriots...then how in the world do the Steelers have a shot right now? They really don't. So let's just close this thread because the answer is obvious.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #56

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Then what was even the point in making this thread if the Pats are hands down, no argument needed, the team of the decade? We're arguing the team of the decade and right now it's the Pats, Steelers, and Colts. I understand the thread says just Pats and Steelers, but realistically if there were another team then it'd be the Colts. If they win the Super Bowl next year, which is likely(don't care what you say, it's more likely that they'll win it than well over half of the other teams in the league), then in my opinion they move ahead of the Steelers as the 2nd best team. But like I said...you say if the Colts win the Super bowl next year, they still don't have a shot to beat the Patriots...then how in the world do the Steelers have a shot right now? They really don't. So let's just close this thread because the answer is obvious.
Because the Colts cannot match the Patriots in SB wins next year whereas the Steelers can.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »