Home

Favre to retire... again.

This is a discussion on Favre to retire... again. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #41
Th* ******

Spectre's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Favre to retire... again.

I can finally change my sig now that this cancer is off the team. Hated this trade from Day 1.

Give me Brett Ratliff- I want no part of Mighty Mouse Kellen Clemens. I like my QBs to be able to see over the line, thank you very much.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
Right now, we all think he tarnished his legacy. I'm sure 10 years from now or even 4 years from now when he enters the Hall of Fame, all of this drama stuff with the Jets will be pretty dull and no one will really care.
When he does enter Canton, they will bring it up. There will be the tarnish, whether you like it or not. If he writes an autobiography, people are going to zero in on his last days w/GB. There's the tarnish.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 02-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #43
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUnc2321
What makes you think I'm a fan of the soap-opera this is Favre? I just like Rex as a D-coord and hope he can have a successful year as head coach...I'd honestly like to see him pull Ray Lewis over w/him
Don't really know which way you stand on Favre... either way, him saying he's retired may have been the best thing that could happen to Rex right now. Less of a headache for him, lower (more reasonable) expectations from fans, increased chance of team unity and chemistry.

And as for the whole discussion, there's no reason for Brett to even attempt to come back. First, he's nursing an injury that probably needs surgery for him to make camp healthy... that ain't happening. Second, the Jets don't feel they owe him anything like the Packers did. They'd laugh in his face if he tried to come back again last minute. Third, he'd need to be released by the Jets to talk to Minnesota, and I don't think there's a snowball's chance in Hell the Jets would do him that favor at this point... or any point.

His situation is nothing like Jordan's. Jordan left to try to become a baseball player, to mourn his father, and then finally what was supposed to be for good... before the Wizards. But he was definitely retired, and only came out when his ego made him think the only way they were going to be able to do what he wanted was if he played. Anyway, in each case, we actually watched basketball without him there. And we had reason to stand behind all of his reasons.

Favre just talked about retiring but never actually left. He left his team hanging and in tough spots from year to year before finally exposing how selfish and self centered he really is. Everyone knows he only went to the Jets to try to prove to the Packers he should still be the starter there. The ugly taste in the mouth when Jordan left was completely with his diminished play. With Favre it's both his play and his ugly attitude and circus on the way out the door.

He's still a HOFer and nobody will take that away from him, but his good ole boy, "he's just a gunslinger" image has most definitely been tarnished.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
When he does enter Canton, they will bring it up. There will be the tarnish, whether you like it or not. If he writes an autobiography, people are going to zero in on his last days w/GB. There's the tarnish.
"Whether I like it or not." lol ok. I could care less. haha. I just don't think his legacy will be tarnished, he's still a first ballot Hall of Famer and is one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game. And sooner or later, no one will really care about his days in New York, we'll just move on from it. That's my opinion. And you have your opinion. But really I could care less....I'm not going to lose any sleep over him retiring or if his legacy is tarnished. Oh well.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 02-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 1

He is a living legend. Let him do whatever he wants!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #46
Pro

OVR: 11

This is definitely it. Unfortunately the New York situation didn't work out for him, but I don't think it "tarnishes" his reputation too badly. He's still a Top 5 All-Time Quarterback (I personally say Top 3, but I'm sure someone will disagree) and that's really not a question.

Just wondering, if he had managed to win the Super Bowl with the Jets (without the horrid play down the stretch, of course) where would you rank him on the Top 5? Do you think he'll still be ranked as high when Brady retires?
Minnesota Wild
Old 02-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #47
Pro

OVR: 11

That said, I think the Jets have a very critical issue at QB. It depends on what they want to do with Clemens. If they want to have him start they should pick up an old guy (not sure of the free agents atm) who doesn't mind being a 2nd stringer. If they want to have him fight for a spot they should pick up a Byron Leftwich, a JP Losman or a Derek Anderson. If they are done with Clemens I'd recommend trying out Josh Freeman, or if you don't feel like waiting for him to develop then pick up Kerry Collins or Byron Leftwich.

I'm not a Jets fan so I'm sure someone will disagree, but what do you think?
Minnesota Wild
Old 02-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #48
Banned

OVR: 8

Good riddance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »