Home

Matt Cassel to the Chiefs

This is a discussion on Matt Cassel to the Chiefs within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #57
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Matt Cassel to the Chiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
With new management and coaching staff, LJ could have a change of heart and stay. Remember his main issues were with Herm and Peterson, who are both gone.

Considering that he could be in a pass happy offense, with a stud WR in Bowe and the possibility of Gonzalez coming back and also adding a No. 2 WR outside of Bowe, I wouldn't say getting 27-29 Tds is outside his reach.

I mean Thigpen was good but he wasn't exactly the second coming of Trent Green or Elvis Grbac so I don't think there will be too much pressure on him to hurry up and succeed or else he'll be a bust.

Unless standards for QBs have lowered that quickly where before you were judged on 3 years of play instead of it being 1 year now lol.
Unfortunately the standards for QBs have lowered to that level. That's the problem. I don't agree with it but that's how it is. Once you're on the radar, you've gotta perform right away. And he's most definitely on the radar now. We'll see about LJ. I think I read a quote from him about never wanting to come back after Herm was fired, but could be off on that. Either way, you're talking about "what ifs" when we knew exactly what Rodgers was going into. If the team is as bad around the QB as last year they won't win. If they have a similar "run first" offense, even his "good" games won't produce stats. It's very possible that both will be different, but considering that's all we have to go by right now, I see Cassell being called a bust. I don't necessarily think he'll be a bust, but that's going to be the popular vote if either of those two don't change, no matter how he performs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
But I thought Brady's career was over? (Like many of you were predicting)
They obviously would not have traded this quarterback if Brady was not progressing.
NOBODY thought his career was over. Don't start this stupid crap again. Your selective hearing misinterpreted that entire discussion, so don't start it up again in a thread that has nothing to do with Tom Brady.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
I also think it's a win-win, which is exactly what you'd expect with the Pats making a deal with Pioli.

Matt Cassell was incredible this past year. But he's not worth "Eli Manning compensation" like ESPN's analysts are claiming. I"m a huge Cassell fan, but 2 first rounders?? That's perennial Pro Bowl compensation.

Vrabel had a bad season, and the Patriots desperately need to get younger on defense, especially in the secondary. Plus, the Pats hate drafting in the first half of the 1st round, so the 34th pick is right up their ally. And there's a lot of play makers on defense that could slip to them at picks 34 and 47 if they take the best available regardless of need at pick 23. Since Vrabel probably had more value to Pioli than other GMs, I'm ok with the deal. I love getting younger, but I would have expected a 3rd or 4th rounder to come with it as well in all honesty.
Incredible? Really? the guy QB'd for probably the most talent heavy team in the NFL, a team that came into the season with people discussing the chances of them running the table again coming off of a season in which they had won 16 games, several in very convincing fashion, a team which broke several offensive records. All that and he won 11 games and put up solid numbers. he was alright, I might even stretch it to good, but incredible?
Old 02-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #59
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
Incredible? Really? the guy QB'd for probably the most talent heavy team in the NFL, a team that came into the season with people discussing the chances of them running the table again coming off of a season in which they had won 16 games, several in very convincing fashion, a team which broke several offensive records. All that and he won 11 games and put up solid numbers. he was alright, I might even stretch it to good, but incredible?
He didn't play QB in an actual game since high school. That's incredible.

That said, he's not a future franchise QB. I'm very content with the 34th pick we got.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #60
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

a second round pick? What are the Chiefs smoking?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr

I would tend to agree. He was in a very favorable situation but he has to have some talent to not play at all in college and still get drafted. "System qb" is just the cool thing to say in this day and age. I do not think Cassell is a "system qb". I think his ceiling could be Jake Plummer. (circa 2005)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2009, 03:17 AM   #62
Straight Edge

DXZeke's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
I don't know about all this "future star" talk. As I've said before, I don't want a starting QB content w/being a backup. You'd think Matt would have transfered while in college or would have been more proactive in leaving New England if he had star talent. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. . . .
When you're currently on a team with a potential Hall of Fame QB, it's probably not a wise move to complain about "playing time." He realized that playing the "I'm ok as a backup" card looks good the his teammates, the media, and the organization. It also looks good to other teams since they won't feel like they'd be trading for another young guy with a prima-donna ego.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:30 AM   #63
Straight Edge

DXZeke's Arena

OVR: 21

After watching a lot of Patriot games this year, Cassel is going to do well. I'm not saying he'll be a mega star this year, but he'll do well. He was under a crap ton of pressure by the Patriot fans and media by filling in for THE Tom Brady.

As for this Talent Heavy offense people are talking about.

He had Randy Moss and Wes Welker at WR. He had Watson at TE to throw too (who dropped a lot of passes). I wouldn't say that's the best WR duo or WR & TE duo in the NFL by any means.

Laurence Moreony isn't the explosive RB that other teams have.

And the Pats defense was good, but it wasn't the best. They did let some points mount up on the scoreboard. If you're offense can't score you're going to lose.

Cassel threw 11 in 18 games. Not bad for a guy that hadn't started. He had 21TDs. You don't throw 21 by luck. You don't end up 10th in the league with a QB rating of a 89.3 if you're just an average QB.

As the year went on Cassel started looking like a mini-Brady clone at times. He also can do something Brady can't, he can scramble and run for yards.

Even Randy Moss said that Matt's passes and choices were starting to be Brady-like in the last 4 weeks.

Cassel will have a decent year. Mega Star, no. I think he finishes near the top 10 again.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #64
MVP

OVR: 26

Only a second for both of them?
Heard there may be conditional 2010 picks.
As a Pats fan id like to hope we got more than just a 2nd round pick

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »