Home

Peppers to New England... Rumor

This is a discussion on Peppers to New England... Rumor within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #41
All Star

OVR: 25
Re: Peppers to New England... Rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865
That trade for a 2nd round pick would be an epic failure on the part of the Panthers front office if it happens. You cannot trade a true franchise player, a real difference maker like Julius Peppers for a freakin' 2nd round pick.

The idea that it would even be considered by Carolina makes me mad.
Well that comes as no surprise considering you were the one who thought they were going to get 2 first rounders, an unspecified amount of additional picks, plus a player in return for a top money player who doesn't want to play for Carolina. No team is going to give up a first rounder and then make Peppers the highest paid player at his position. It's not going to happen. Either the Panthers will settle for a lesser offer, or play with fire and see if Peppers reports. I'd applaud them if they stuck to their guns and told him he won't be traded. There's no way he'd give up the money the franchise tag will pay him to holdout.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2009, 01:21 AM   #42
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

I know I don't usually take anything I see or hear on ESPN seriously, but earlier tonight John Clayton said that anything less than 2 first round picks wouldn't get Peppers traded to NE.

He said the talks were very early and that Carolina shouldn't take a 2nd round pick and wouldn't in his opinion. I don't think they will either. I know I'm a homer on this subject but you just don't trade him for a 2nd round pick. 2 first rounders is more fair considering that NE is always drafting in the lower half of the 1st round anyway, it's not like we're talking two lottery picks here.

It would be the 23rd pick this year and next year in the high 20s to 30 probably. That would be more fair compensation than just a No. 34 this year and that's it for the face of the Panthers defense since 2002. It would be nonsense.

Yeah I was asking for too much earlier upon first reaction, but two late 1st round picks is good compensation.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 03-17-2009, 06:35 AM   #43
stewaat

OVR:

Peppers is the face of the Carolina franchise, if he goes for a 2nd round pick people will want the head of whoever made that decision.

I will root for the Pats if Pep goes there. If Pep goes to the Bengals I'll root for him there too.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #44
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat
Peppers is the face of the Carolina franchise, if he goes for a 2nd round pick people will want the head of whoever made that decision.

I will root for the Pats if Pep goes there. If Pep goes to the Bengals I'll root for him there too.
but it is a high number 2 pick. The Pats may have to add another top 100 pick get the deal done.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #45
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Why has there been these malcontents that develop in the Carolina lockeroom? First there was Kris Jenkins and now Julius Peppers...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #46
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Carolina won't get 2 1st for him or muchless one 1st for him.

The days of players being traded for 1st round picks are long gone and rarely, if at all, happen.

If he does gets moved, I expect it to be anything but a 1st.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #47
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Carolina won't get 2 1st for him or muchless one 1st for him.

The days of players being traded for 1st round picks are long gone and rarely, if at all, happen.

If he does gets moved, I expect it to be anything but a 1st.
I agree. No way they get 2 first round picks for Peppers.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #48
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

A 2nd round pick isn't that bad people, it beats getting nothing. Peppers was a FA this year, so for the team to sit on their hands and even let it get to this is on them. They were never going to get a 1st.

They are paying Peppers 17 million, counting on the cap NOW. Peppers doesn't want to play here, so he might even hold out. Right now, the Panthers can't sign one free agent of relevance because of his salary. They have a horrible cap situation heading into the draft with zero depth on either line. Their first pick is late in the 2nd. A high 2nd round pick allows them the opportunity to still get 1st round talent, cheaper.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »