Home

Ryan Moats and a Pathetic Dallas Police Officer

This is a discussion on Ryan Moats and a Pathetic Dallas Police Officer within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 42
Re: Ryan Moats and a Pathetic Dallas Police Officer

I did watch the video...

Tell me how that proves she was going to die in just a few sad minutes and not hours or days later? or even that someone was dying?

NOBODY has ever lied to a cop? NOBODY has ever exagerated the medical condition of a loved one?

We know in hindsight the truth...the cop didn't have the luxury of reading it on a message board or seeing a clip on the news.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #42

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaduck
I did watch the video...

Tell me how that proves she was going to die in just a few sad minutes and not hours or days later? or even that someone was dying?

NOBODY has ever lied to a cop? NOBODY has ever exagerated the medical condition of a loved one?

We know in hindsight the truth...the cop didn't have the luxury of reading it on a message board or seeing a clip on the news.
What?

Yes, Moats and family created an elaborate hoax where they planned this out. They knew they were going to get pulled over so they paid the nurse to come out and tell the officer the lady was about to die.

C'mon really? Again I ask? What if they were lying, what is the worse that can happen to the cop? The cop has to wait a little longer or go in and check with the doctor.

Don't you think maybe it is worth to take that chance just in case they are telling the truth when the worst that can happen to him in that his mil will die and he just blew his last chance to be with her?

Hindsight is irrelevant here.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #43
MVP

drae2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
I did watch the video...

I wasn't gonna respond to you, but now I must. I have been in a situation where the hospital has called and said the we, meaning my family, need to get to the hospital, that a loved one, which was my grandma, would be dying at any momemt. As we were rushing to get out the house, the phone rang, and the hospital said that she was gone. When that nurse came out and verifed what was going on, any humane person would've said, okay, go, I'll leave the ticket on your WINDSHIELD! That bastard was just flexing his muscle. I hope his *** gets fired, to hell with some sensibility training.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #44
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Been alot of posts since I posted this morning, many fine points raised but I'm still sticking to the original post.

Law was broke. Cop stopped him.

What happened after that still hinges on the fact that so many people think the officer should have just trusted Moats and family. Amazing amounts of people on every sports related board are outraged because a policeman didn't believe the person/suspect who just broke a law (however minor it was).

I really think the crux is we have the luxury of knowing the story was true. The woman did die in minutes.

Even if, the admittedly *** clownish cop, had psychic powers and knew Moats wasn't lying, what if the woman had died a day later...4 hours later...does the story change?

Again its risk reward type of thing the risk of "letting him go" and she lived for 2 more days at least you did something "right"...

I am not saying dont write the ticket or even tow the truck but he threatened him repeatedly with jail to make sure he didnt leave when he could have just checked the story and gave him the ticket without the other extra stuff that was done blantlantly to stall his progress...

Its like the 911 operator who berated the kidnapped lady 4 hours before they found her dead...
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/mar/...d/?partner=RSS

Yes you have a job but dont lose your human compassion as a result. Thats apart of taking the sheild you learn how to use restraint under all situations
Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #45
MVP

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Please explain to me why you think this was handled correctly.
Never said it was handled "correctly".

But I can see why it happened the way it did without thinking the cop needs to be vilified to the degree he's getting.

It'd be easy to weave a thousand "hypothetical" ways that if the cop just trusts someone and lets them go turns out badly.But most of those would be covered after he runs Moats' license for outstanding warrants.

At that point, I'm not a fan of how it goes but I still say you remove OUR knowledge of what happens and isn't the same story.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #46
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
I did watch the video...

If you're going to error in one way or another, is it not better to error on the safe side?
Either be wrong and at worst you let a guy who cautiosuly ran a red light (stopped and put his flashers on before being waved on by another party) go or be right and prevent a person who made their best attempt to be safe in a stressful situation from spending the last seconds with a dying family member.

Who cares if 1 in 10 are actually lying. I'd much rather they get away than any of those other people who are not be prevented from doing what they need to do.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #47

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
It'd be easy to weave a thousand "hypothetical" ways that if the cop just trusts someone and lets them go turns out badly.But most of those would be covered after he runs Moats' license for outstanding warrants.

At that point, I'm not a fan of how it goes but I still say you remove OUR knowledge of what happens and isn't the same story.
Again you still haven't answered. He never had to let him go! He could wait right there, go in with him, find the doctor or write him a ticket and leave.

You have two options not believe him or believe him, if he is telling the truth, he gets to see his mother in law one more time, if he is lying, you shortly find out, ticket him probably with something worse and move on.

If you don't believe him and he is telling the truth, he loses that one chance we have discussed whereas if he was lying good for the cop pat on the back for not believing him. But i will still take the first option out of human compassion.

Plus you still haven't mentioned why it was reasonable to hold him even after the nurse comes out and confirms it?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #48
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Never said it was handled "correctly".

But I can see why it happened the way it did without thinking the cop needs to be vilified to the degree he's getting.

The nurse came out and confirmed the story and he still proceeded to take his time. What more proof did he need?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »