Home

NFL Rules Discussion

This is a discussion on NFL Rules Discussion within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16
NFL Rules Discussion

Rules that are total bull****:

Throwing the ball away/at receiver's feet
: Is just cheating disguised as safety.

QB Sliding
: Naked cowardice, and don't take my word, ask some of those NFL old timers.

5 yard chuck
: Recievers should not be running down the field uncontested. It makes a guy like Moss unstoppable man to man. Holding should be the only thing that is illegal. Pushing, shoving and arm swatting should all be legal all the way down the field.

QB Helmet touching
: If you're swatting at the ball you should not be penalized just because you happened to graze the QB's helmet.

Cut blocking: If safety is SOOOOO important, why the hell is hitting defenders directly in the knees still completely legal? More career ending injuries come as a result of THIS PLAY than any other. Yet because of the anti-defense bias in the NFL, cut blocking is still legal.

Horse collar foul: What exactly are you supposed to use on a guy with 4.3 speed who's already past you, harsh language?

"Please Mr. Owens, stop running away."

The QB Kneel
: You should always be trying to advance the ball. This gives the defense the chance to fight back. If the Giants kneel, we never have that great run back by Herman Edwards.

Replay Challenges: Why can't you review pass interference? That's the most egregious use of the penalty flag in the game, and you can't challenge it?

Early or "safety" whistles
: Let the play run to it's conclusion. Stop blowing the damned whistle every time there's a pile or loose ball. Many times they kill off a team's chance to make a great defensive play by blowing the whistle too soon.

Running into the kicker
: Do I even have to explain this one? You either roughed the kicker or you didn't. This foul is ALWAYS wrong.

Fair catches/punting out of bounds
:No and no. Fair catching defeats the purpose of catching the ball in the first place. Why not just mark it where it hits the ground? Because that would be stupid and non-competitive. You catch the ball in order to advance it.

Punting out of bounds is like an intentional walk. It's cheating. You have to give the guy a shot at a return. The ball should always be kicked into the field of play. If it goes out of bounds or into endzone it should be a penalty.

Last edited by ChubbyBanana; 03-26-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #2

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
re: NFL Rules Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
Throwing the ball away/at receiver's feet: Is just cheating disguised as safety.
So you want to give the referees another judgement call as to whether the QB meant to throw to the WR or not? This is a smart play. If the QB doesn't have a good chance at completing the pass, throw it away. Has nothing to do with safety but is playing smart

Quote:
QB Sliding: Naked cowardice, and don't take my word, ask some of those NFL old timers.
I would disagree but we are both entitled to an opinion. This will go as response A as I will probably be using it again.
Quote:
5 yard chuck: Recievers should not be running down the field uncontested. It makes a guy like Moss unstoppable man to man. Holding should be the only thing that is illegal. Pushing, shoving and arm swatting should all be legal all the way down the field.
This I can't agree nor disagree with, but i would be more interested to see the NFL without this rule "I think"
Quote:
QB Helmet touching: If you're swatting at the ball you should not be penalized just because you happened to graze the QB's helmet.
Agree

Quote:
Cut blocking: If safety is SOOOOO important, why the hell is hitting defenders directly in the knees still completely legal? More career ending injuries come as a result of THIS PLAY than any other. Yet because of the anti-defense bias in the NFL, cut blocking is still legal.
Chop blocking is illegal, maybe this will soon follow.

Quote:
Horse collar foul: What exactly are you supposed to use on a guy with 4.3 speed who's already past you, harsh language?
Simple, don't let him get past you.

Quote:
The QB Kneel: You should always be trying to advance the ball. This gives the defense the chance to fight back. If the Giants kneel, we never have that great run back by Herman Edwards.
Response A. You play to win. If by kneeling assures a team of victory, I have no problem with it.

Quote:
Replay Challenges: Why can't you review pass interference? That's the most egregious use of the penalty flag in the game, and you can't challenge it?
Because pass interference is a judgment call. Reviewable plays are non-judgement calls.

Quote:
Early or "safety" whistles: Let the play run to it's conclusion. Stop blowing the damned whistle every time there's a pile or loose ball. Many times they kill off a team's chance to make a great defensive play by blowing the whistle too soon.
This has been changed this year and is the way you want it.
Quote:
Running into the kicker: Do I even have to explain this one? You either roughed the kicker or you didn't. This foul is ALWAYS wrong.
Agree
Quote:
Fair catches/punting out of bounds:No and no. Fair catching defeats the purpose of catching the ball in the first place. Why not just mark it where it hits the ground? Because that would be stupid and non-competitive. You catch the ball in order to advance it.
So if you have no chance of a return let it land and bounce further back? No thank you

Respnse A

Quote:
Punting out of bounds is like an intentional walk. It's cheating. You have to give the guy a shot at a return. The ball should always be kicked into the field of play. If it goes out of bounds or into endzone it should be a penalty.

I think punters that can coffin kick on a regular basis are extrememly valuable to have on your team.

Again, response A
Old 03-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

How often do you guys estimate that illegal chop blocks occur? Often it's hard to see on TV because the camera tracks the ball and I lose sight of the line play. But I barely see flags thrown for illegal blocks. Do O-lineman just block cleaner nowadays? Or have they just learned how to conceal their dirty deeds? I remember an article that came out in ESPN the magazine after Haynseworth stomped on that centers face.and they talked to different d-lineman who spoke about the cheap tactics the o-lineman around the league used. If the league hands out fines for celebrations, they should be issuing fines for illegal blocks. I don't recall ever seeing an o-lineman being fined for an illegal block but I could have missed the news blurb on it. I might not agree with all the new safety rules such as the 'Brady rule', but player safety should be the primary concern for everyone involved with the game.

Last edited by Mr. Moustafa; 03-26-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #4

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moustafa
How often do you guys estimate that illegal chop blocks occur? Often it's hard to see on TV because the camera tracks the ball and I lose sight of the line play. But I barely see flags thrown for illegal blocks. Do O-lineman just block cleaner nowadays? Or have they just learned how to conceal their dirty deeds? I remember a few years ago an article came out after Haynseworth stomped on that centers face. It was in ESPN the mag, and they interviewed different d-lineman who spoke about the different cheap tactics the o-lineman around the league used. If the league hands out fines for celebrations, they should be issuing fines for illegal blocks. I might not agree with all the new safety rules such as the 'brady rule', but player safety should be the primary concern for everyone involved with the game.
Become a Bronco fan and you will find out they are called at least every other game...lol
Old 03-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: NFL Rules Discussion

Edited the thread title so it would be less offensive to other posters.

Please refrain from using profanity when creating new threads.

Twitch Stream
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
So you want to give the referees another judgement call as to whether the QB meant to throw to the WR or not? This is a smart play. If the QB doesn't have a good chance at completing the pass, throw it away. Has nothing to do with safety but is playing smart
It's only "smart" because it's legal. Throwing the ball away is grounding. Period. It was illegal until 1993. The rule was put in to protect QBs from getting hurt while trying to make a play while no one was open.

This play should be illegal. It's cheating.

Quote:
Chop blocking is illegal, maybe this will soon follow.
One can only hope. Doubt it though. The NFL sees defenders as expendable and quarterbacks as irreplaceable. Neither of which is true.

Quote:
Simple, don't let him get past you.
Easier said than done. But if a guy does get by you're supposed to give up on the play? Look these guys are fast on offense, and it's ALREADY much harder to tackle someone than it is to dodge a tackler. Why give them even more of an advantage?

Quote:
Response A. You play to win. If by kneeling assures a team of victory, I have no problem with it.
Again this is a discussion of rules not strategy. It's only good strategy because it is legal, which it should not be. It's uncompetitive. Man up and earn a first down. If you fumble you pay the piper. These cheat plays on offense make the game anticlimactic.

Quote:
Because pass interference is a judgment call. Reviewable plays are non-judgment calls.
All calls are judgment calls. The tuck rule is a judgment call, and it's reviewable. Reminds me, need to add the tuck rule to the list.

Quote:
This has been changed this year and is the way you want it.
On certain plays, but not all. Progress though.

Quote:
So if you have no chance of a return let it land and bounce further back? No thank you
Again you are arguing tactics and not rules. Fair catching should be illegal. Then you MUST catch the ball, or hope it goes out of bounds for a penalty (in an ideal world punting out of bounds is also illegal). That would me more competitive.

Quote:
I think punters that can coffin kick on a regular basis are extrememly valuable to have on your team.
Yes they are, but only because coffin kicking is legal, which it should not be. Kickers should be forced to kick the ball in the field of play. That is more competitive than the "bunt" of kicking the ball out of bounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyBanana
Edited the thread title so it would be less offensive to other posters.

Please refrain from using profanity when creating new threads.
Roger. My apologies.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moustafa
How often do you guys estimate that illegal chop blocks occur? Often it's hard to see on TV because the camera tracks the ball and I lose sight of the line play. But I barely see flags thrown for illegal blocks. Do O-lineman just block cleaner nowadays? Or have they just learned how to conceal their dirty deeds? I remember an article that came out in ESPN the magazine after Haynseworth stomped on that centers face.and they talked to different d-lineman who spoke about the cheap tactics the o-lineman around the league used. If the league hands out fines for celebrations, they should be issuing fines for illegal blocks. I don't recall ever seeing an o-lineman being fined for an illegal block but I could have missed the news blurb on it. I might not agree with all the new safety rules such as the 'Brady rule', but player safety should be the primary concern for everyone involved with the game.

Quote:
Become a Bronco fan and you will find out they are called at least every other game...lol
The Broncos are notorious for their dirty blocks. No doubt. But most of the time they are "clean" because cut blocking is legal as long as it's one on one.

Cut blocking is dirty play and should be a penalty. So far, most of the "safety rules" seem to favor the offense though...
Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 PM   #8

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
From what I gather, you are from a different generation than I am for the most part. I am 26 and it seems you have seen football played when most of these rules were different.

That said, yes I argued that a lot of things are done because they are legal, and for the most part they have all been allowed in my lifetime.

I will not be able to change your mind on these rules, but at the same time, you will not change mine, I like a majority of these rules the way they are.

We will have to agree to disagree.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »