Home

Any Benefit to NFL Keeping AFL Alive?

This is a discussion on Any Benefit to NFL Keeping AFL Alive? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #9
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Any Benefit to NFL Keeping AFL Alive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaduck
"The AFL was during Spring/Summer. It was a good time for that brand of football."

Having sweated through August two-a-days, I imagine alot of players might disagree that any form of extended play in summer is not ideal.
They played indoors where the climate was controlled.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #10
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrbas
They played indoors where the climate was controlled.
Hense the name, Arena.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #11
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
NFL Europe was a stupid idea to begin with. If they really wanted a minor league I don't know why they would make its success dependent on whether or not some other countries started getting into American football.
the way NFL Europe was operated would have led to failure anywhere, it was just magnified since it was located in Europe. A nice way to judge a development league is by the players it actually develops. NFL Europe failed there, and Arena Football wouldn't do much for the NFL either.

Why should the NFL pay to operate a "developmental" league when their best source for NFL ready talent is still the NCAA, which teams can then develop with their own coaches?

Last edited by bkfount; 04-09-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
the way NFL Europe was operated would have led to failure anywhere, it was just magnified since it was located in Europe. A nice way to judge a development league is by the players it actually develops. NFL Europe failed there, and Arena Football wouldn't do much for the NFL either.

Why should the NFL pay to operate a "developmental" league when their best source for NFL ready talent is still the NCAA, which teams can then develop with their own coaches?
If everyone was drafted and ready to play then that would make sense but there are still players that are drafted and instead of playing games just watch.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 04-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 42

"They played indoors where the climate was controlled."

You're missing the point. They want a NFL style developmental league that helps develop "project" players for the pros. The Arena leagues might develop skill sets that can be transfered to the NFL but not play sets and game experience.

You're not playing Arena then you'll find it harder to find indoor climate controlled fields.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #14
My Head Hurts

jnofx's Arena

OVR: 11

I dunno about developing players or anything like that, but the way i see it: The more football on TV for me to watch, the better
Old 04-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Well, I didn't necessarily mean that the AFL could be a developmental league, though I can understand why people might view it as such.

I just mean as another means of entertainment. A place to find talented football minds. Perhaps find that one diamond in the rough that wasn't ready out of college but found his potential playing a different brand of football. Good coaches should recognize talent and whether it can transfer to the bigger game. They already do it in college.

But, if the NFL owned the AFL, maybe they could give it a nice jolt and give football fans something to watch when the NFL is on vacation. I'm not saying this is the greatest idea ever. That's why I asked what people thought.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »