Home

Lions Should Let Clock Expire

This is a discussion on Lions Should Let Clock Expire within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #17

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Lions Should Let Clock Expire

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmatic
They wouldn't be skipping their pick, they'd let the clock expire, let a couple picks go by, then jump back in and pick 3rd or 4th or whatever (which they're allowed to do)
Ok gotcha. Didn't know that. Thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #18
Treble Complete

billmatic's Arena

OVR: 21

It's really not a terrible idea, but people are right, the player and their agent would definitely want #1 money, pretty much defeating the purpose.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #19
MVP

SpacemanSpiff's Arena

OVR: 17

Not only would the player want #1 money most likely, it's just a terrible way to start off a relationship between a team and a player. They're basically saying, we don't think you're worth a #1 slot money and we believe it so strongly that we're not even gonna trade down but just wait till you drop to the point that we think you are worth. It's basically dissing that player and the Lions don't need to be doing anything like that. And QB is a need but I'm a strong proponent of having a good o-line before you draft your QB. Some young QBs are ruined by constantly having to worry about backside pressure and never become the QB they could probably become if they were put in a good situation. I guarantee that Cassel would not have impressed as much last year if he started for the Lions the whole year. But behind a great o-line, he had times to make good reads, step into his throws and he has that confidence to carry with him his whole career.
NCAA: UNC
Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 42

Two things...

From what I've read the Lions have tried to trade down and nobody want's to pay anybody in this draft number 1 pick money so they haven't been able to find a deal.

And Second...Is skipping your pick even allowed?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #21
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
It would if the player held out... especially if it's a QB as QB hold outs don't have a great history of success unless I'm forgetting somebody. The last thing the Lions need right now is controversy. I think the main advantage to having the first pick is they can negotiate with the one player they want and get all the ducks in a row BEFORE the draft.
How big of a holdout are we talking? Didn't Philip Rivers miss a few days of training camp with the Chargers?

My Video Game Streams
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #22
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaduck

And Second...Is skipping your pick even allowed?
Vikings did it a few years ago. The clock ran out and they hadn't picked. The two teams behind them scrambled to get their picks in before the Vikes did, so Minnesota essentially slid down two slots.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #23
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
Vikings did it a few years ago. The clock ran out and they hadn't picked. The two teams behind them scrambled to get their picks in before the Vikes did, so Minnesota essentially slid down two slots.
Jacksonville drafted Leftwich, Carolina jumped up asap and drafted Jordan Gross while Minnesota still drafted Kevin Williams - 2 Pro Bowlers and an excellent QB...so it all still worked out.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
There was a holdout though for the Jags and Vikings. Both guys wanted to be paid #7 money in the slotting. What happened was that Gross I believe signed first, then Williams and Leftwich held out to fight for who got what and I think they both ended up getting #7 money.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »