Home

Who Should the Cowboys Select in the Draft?

This is a discussion on Who Should the Cowboys Select in the Draft? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2009, 03:37 AM   #1
Just started!

bigtxambition's Arena

OVR: 21
Post Who Should the Cowboys Select in the Draft?

Well the draft is almost here. Who should the Dallas Cowboys select in the draft later this month?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
MVP

Saber's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Who Should the Cowboys Select in the Draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtxambition
Well the draft is almost here. Who should the Dallas Cowboys select in the draft later this month?

Here's my personal 7 round mock draft that I posted over in the Dallas Cowboys thread:

Hard to believe this thread is so dead? In any case, here's my shot at a Dallas Cowboys mock draft:

Round (Pick)
2 (51) - Patrick Chung, S Oregon 5'11 210 lbs
3 (69) - Fenuki Tupou, T Oregon 6'5 310 lbs
4 (101) - Nic Harris, ILB Oklahoma 6'2 230 lbs
4 (117) - Asher Allen, CB Georgia 5'9 190 lbs
5 (156) - Stephen McGee, QB Texas A&M 6'2 225 lbs
5 (166) - Darius Passmore, WR Marshall 6'0 185 lbs
5 (172) - Khalif Mitchell, DE East Carolina 6'5 315 lbs
6 (197) - Terrance Taylor, NT Michigan 6'0 300 lbs
6 (208) - Ray Feinga, G Brigham Young 6'4 335 lbs
7 (210) - Johnny Williams, OLB Kentucky 6'1 240 lbs
7 (227) - David Johnson, FB/TE Arkansas State 6'1 260 lbs

Breakdown:
Patrick Chung - Need that in the box safety as we don't currently have one. Big things are being expected of Sensabaugh from the Cowboy nation, but for me he's just a guy. Chung is a guy who plays bigger than the sum of the parts, but would add toughness to a secondary that loses it's most physical corner (Anthony Henry), overrated enforcer (Roy Williams), special teams ace (Keith Davis), and most importantly the stunning lack for physicality demonstrated by Ken Hamlin last season.

Fenuki Tupou - Tough kid who needs some development, but has the size and the pass blocking skills to develop into Flozell's replacement.

Nic Harris - Odd kid who played safety, inside linebacker and outside linebacker at OU. Would take over for Kevin Burnett as nickel linebacker though his upside is pretty limited. Not an excellent fit for a 3-4. Might be able to develop into a safety for some sub packages, but that's probably asking too much. Likely will always be a backup, but could develop into a special teams maven.

Asher Allen - With Newman seemingly always nursing an injury, and the loss of Henry this is a key choice. Tough with excellent character, but a bit undersized which will cause him to fall to the middle rounds. A project at this point who's not quite a finished product. Excellent return ability to get him on the field while he develops as a defensive back.

Stephen McGee - A developmental QB that could take over the backup position sooner than later. Needs to work on accuracy and has some durability concerns, but strong arm and battle tested in a tough Big 12 conference.

Darius Passmore - Burner who was Marshall's only true big play threat. Needs to add some weight, but a high effort speedster who would likely challenge Stanbeck immediately for the 5th receiver spot.

Khalif Mitchell - excellent athlete who's still figuring out the game of football. Played DT for a East Carolina, but has enough athleticism to make make a few sacks from the DE position in a 3-4 alignment. Medical questions.

Terrance Taylor - stout kid who didn't particularly stand out at Michigan. Strong though and could well develop into a key reserve at NT to spell Ratliff once in a while.

Ray Feinga - huge man who's strong as a bull. Needs to develop his run blocking interestingly enough. Shows strong pass blocking ability though.

Johnny Williams - Natural passrusher who shows good burst off the edge. Only shows a speed move at this point, and offers little in space. Little more than a depth player.

David Johnson - Huge man with soft hands. Throws punishing blocks, though struggles hitting movement. Also able to lineup at TE. Could develop into a key h-back type that could backup the fullback position (or start) as well as being a third tight end.

thoughts?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

A receiver named Passmore... Garrett might not be able to contain himself

I like what you have there Saber; though I can't I know much about the players listed, I agree with your assessment of our needs. I still might be tempted though to get a WR earlier should a good value be available at some earlier slot in the draft, though.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 04-10-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Either Chung or Joaquin Iglesias.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

What's wrong with the Cowboys team thread?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
What's wrong with the Cowboys team thread?
Dude, it's America's team, didn't you know EVERYBODY cares about the Cowgirls?

Old 04-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
MVP

Saber's Arena

OVR: 15

Well, Kiper has his new 4 round mock posted and this is who it compares to my own:

Round (Pick) Kiper/Myself
2 (51) Louis Delmas S Western Michigan / Patrick Chung S Oregon
3 (69) Ramses Barden WR Cal Poly / Fenuki Tupou T Oregon
4 (101) LaDarius Webb DB Nichols State / Nic Harris LB Oklahoma
4 (117) Herman Johnson G LSU / Asher Allen CB Georgia

Breakdown:
Delmas vs. Chung
In either case you're addressing a prime concern in safety. I'm going to go ahead and say this is a push since either would fit the need, it's just who you prefer. For the record I don't have a preference, but I believed Delmas would be off the board before Dallas selected.
PUSH

Barden vs. Topou
At this spot Kiper and I both chose to address depth issues with the team. However, Kiper curiously chose to go with Barden. I don't see him making an impact in the near future, and he doesn't address Dallas' lack of speed at the receiver position. Also I think depth at tackle is so much more important with the age and declining skills of Flozell Adams and thus far no indication that either Doug Free or Pat McQuistan are ready to assume the starting role. For the record I do have a bit of a man-crush on Barden, but not in Dallas if that makes any sense. He would make so much more sense to a team like the Raiders. Also, unless I'm missing something, I don't see Topou listed anywhere in Kiper's first 4 rounds which is ludicrous.
ME

Webb vs. Harris
In either case you're talking about players that I've typically seen ranked as 5th or 6th round prospects (at best). I don't necessarily have an issue with drafting a CB at this spot but Webb is the name you come up with? He even still has Coye Francies still setting there. For me, I took Harris because I think the Cowboys will make the conscious decision to try to replace all of what Kevin Burnett did which is backup the inside, start as a nickel linebacker, and play special teams. Harris can do all those things and might be overvalued in Dallas' mind. Still, both of us having Dallas reach for speciality players.
PUSH

Johnson vs. Allen

This one I actually find to be pretty easy. I think Allen has the far greater value and far higher upside with Johnson possibly being the next Leonard Davis, but more likely eating his way out of the league. The key thing to note here is Kiper has Allen going WAYYYY up at number 79. You talking almost a 40 spot difference here. In this case I'll assume that Kiper is closer to correct on this one and Allen won't be available. Then Herman Johnson would make a lot of sense by filling a need in providing depth at guard. Lots of signs pointed to Kosier's injury last season being one of the many that derailed Dallas and the fact that the Cowboys couldn't find a player to replace him. Myself, I think that another year in the system with the team will help Montrae Holland become more than an adequate backup. I'll give this one to Mel on the strength of the discrepancy in draft spot.
MEL

Final tally is even... so what's all the mean? Who knows, but I'm bored at home and actually wanted to do something to kill the time. What are everyone's thoughts?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

I would love to see us trade up to get a WR, most notably Britt. I think we should definitely use Choice as tradebait.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »