Home

2009 Mock Draft

This is a discussion on 2009 Mock Draft within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
2009 Mock Draft

1) Detroit Lions OT Jason Smith Baylor
The Lions are in no shape to take any risks. They have brought in Anthony Henry and Julian Peterson and word out of camp is Culpepper is looking good. Jason Smith is as sure a thing as you can ask for next to Aaron Curry.

2)St. Louis Rams LB Aaron Curry Wake Forrest
conventional thinking would tell you the Rams MUST draft a Tackle however the Defense has been equally inept and with Quinton Culberson slated to start at SLB you can see why. With Adam Carriker,Chris Long and Aaron Curry they have the CHANCE for something special if they all live up to expectations.

3)Kansas City Chiefs Aaron Maybin DE/OLB Penn State
Pioli is in charge the way he built the Pats is the way he'll build the Chiefs (minus the cheating I hope) and the one things that is for sure is he'll draft and sign people that are team oriented as well as able to play many different positions. Aaron Maybin is just right for a Kansas City defense that couldnt sack my Grandma.

4)Seattle Seahawks QB Matthew Stafford Georgia
This is the dream scenereo for new head coach Jim Mura Jr. Have Hasslebeck and groom Stafford as his replacement in a few years.

5)Clevland Browns WR Michael Crabtree Texas Tech
With Kellen Winslow gone,Braylen Edwards and Mr. fatal DWI Donte Stallworth on thier way outta town Crabtree could come in and make an immediate impact.

6)Cincinnati Bengals RB Chris Wells Ohio State
Eugene Monroe Would be a great pick, especially if they succeed in dropping Levi Jones on his butt however with no proven RB I see them leaping at home state hero Wells.

7)Oakland Raiders DE Brian Orakpo Texas
Is there any Doubt that if Orakpo drops to the Raiders at 7 it would be an absolute no brainer steal, Wide Reciever is definitly a concern,there are rumors Ocho Cinco could land here and they signed Khalif Barnes so I wouldnt look for them to go tackle. This is the best pic for them.

8)Jacksonville Jaguars OT Eugene Monroe Virginia
Though there are rampent trade rumors citing the Jaguars trade out of this spot to gain more pics. I dont see them doing that if Monroe is Available to them.

9) Denver Broncos(trade w/ GB) QB Mark Sanchez USC
Ted Thompson is never one afraid of moving down in the draft to gain more picks, I see the Broncos Giving up picks 12 and 79 overall to draft Sanchez.

10)San Francisco 49rs DT BJ Raji Boston College
QB would have been a great option here however the top two are off the board, the best player Available is unquestionably Raji. Raji's pressence will take Patrick Willis from just a beast to an absolute monster!

11)Buffallo Bills Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
Buffallo Could trade this pic to Clevland for Brady Quinn but thats unlikly to happen so this is again a best player available pick.

12)Green Bay Packers(trade w/ Den) OT Andre Smith Alabama
Green Bay needs pieces to thier new 3-4 defense and had Raji been available or Brian Orakpo I'd have guessed theyd go in that direction but with Smith still Available and thier O-line in shambles as far as the Tackle position I cant see them passing on him.

13)Washington Redskins ILB Ray Maualuga USC
There are many ways Washington could go here but can you imagine Maualuga playing behind Haynesworth for the next 7 years that will be a monster duo and well worth the pick.

14)New Orleans Saints CB Vonte Davis Illinois
Its no secret the saints secondary is garbage adding Vonte Davis will be a huge step forward in resolving that.

15)Houston Texans WR Jermey Maclin Missouri
The Texans have many needs WR is not one of them but can you imagine pairing Maclin with Johnson I dont think thats a scenerio the Texans will pass up.

16)San Deigo Chargers DE Tyson Jackson LSU
With Igor Olshanski gone and the other end declining in skill his is a must pick for the chargers.

17)New York Jets DE/OLB Everette Brown Florida State
New headcoach Rex Ryan is a defensive coach first n foremost and Everette Brown is a great fit for the Ryan 3-4 he can put his hand down and rush from the end and can stand up and come off the edge.

18)Denver Broncos OLB Clay Matthews USC
The defense in Denver is under construction and Matthews would be a great building block to heal the ineptness that has become common place.

19)Tampa Bay Buccaneers OLB Brian Cushing USC
Yes I realize I have two US OLB's going back to back, however they need to fill the enormous hole left by Derrick Brooks departure I belive Cushing could be that guy.

20)Detroit Lions CB/FS Malcolm Jenkins Ohio State
Josh Freeman would be a great pick here but with Malcolm Jenkins still on the board former DB Martin Mayhew cannot help himself.

21)Philedelphia Eagles OT Michael Oher Ole Mis
With John Runyan prolly done in philly and tra thomas gone theres not way the fat man Andy Reid will pass on another fat guy.

22)Minnesota Vikings QB Josh Freeman Kansas State
With Brad Childress prolly on the hot seat I think he will stop passing on quarterbacks in the draft and open up training camp with an open competition between Rosenfelds,Jackson and Freeman.

23)New England Patriots RB Knowshon Moreno Georgia
While its well known Lawrence Maloney has fallen out of favor with Bill Belicheck few have chosen Moreno to go to NE.

24)Atlanta Falcons TE Branden Pettigrew Oklahoma State
Rumors have surfaced about Tony G comming to Atlanta even if that does occur I see them drafting Pettigrew to be groomed under Gonzales's example.

25)Miami Dolphins CB Darius Butler Connecticut
Lets Face it the Dolphins CB's are lacking to say the least, Butler and Will Allen may make huge strides in improving this position for the tuna.

26)Baltimore Ravens WR Darius Heyward-Bey Maryland
With the 35 year old Derrick Mason a year from Free agency and the corps severly lacking of talent Bey Could be groomed to be a legit number 1

27)Indianapolis Colts OT William Beatty Connecticut
Though Tackle is the most glaring need it is a concern Beatty is a very good tackle that can challenge for a starting position from day 1.

28)Philedelphia Eagles WR Percy Harvin Florida
Match last years dynamic WR DeShawn Jackson With Percy Harvin n Kevin Curtis out of the Slot and you have a dangerous NFC championship calibur recieving corps.

29)New York Giants WR Kenny Britt Rutgers
Though not Plaxico Buress Britt still creates mismatches with his height and leaping ability, this is the best pick for the Giants.

30)Tennessee Titans DT Peria Jerry Ole Miss
Peria is a monster and the best DT left on the board.

31)Arizona Cardinals DE Robert Ayers Tennessee
The Cards have been relativly quiet, I think getting Ayers at 31 is incredibly fortunate.

32) Pittsburgh Steelers OT Eben Britton Arizona
Lets face it Pittsburgh's only "weakness" is its o-line and with Britton Available at 32 its a no brainer!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: 2009 Mock Draft

Colts aren't going offensive line in the 1st round. It's not a need either. They picked up like 3-4 offensive lineman in last years draft. I think last year was the year that we beefed up our offensive line and got it back in good shape. No need to go there again this year. Maybe pick up a tackle in the later rounds, but not the 1st or 2nd, or even 3rd in my opinion. I think they'll either go linebacker or wide receiver in the 1st.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 04-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

You could be right, however when teams blitzed Manning last year 7 times outta 10 they got to him. I think if they hope to compete they have to keep Peyton (I couldnt run if I had too) Manning upright
Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

The one player in the first round I would be shocked the Packers would take is Smith. Ted probably will trade down and wouldn't be shocked with any position. But one thing Ted has done is draft players that fit in with the community and want to stay. Smith has indicated more than once that the money is what drives him over team, winning, or anything else.

I would also be shocked if the Vikings draft Freeman. He is a player with a lot of up side but is not ready to play right now. Like you said, Chilly has pressure to win now. If he wanted to upgrade at QB, they would have went after Cutler harder.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
N.W.O. - NO WR OPEN

Checmate101's Arena

OVR: 28

I hope we do get Maualuga
Uconn Huskies
Miami Hurricanes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

I can see us trading down but I don't see us taking Smith for reasons shnuskis explained.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

OVR: 37

Give me Raji over Sanchez any day of the week.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Icon2 Re: 2009 Mock Draft

There has been questions about Jason Smith's run-blocking prowess since Baylor ran a spread offense and had him pass protecting in a 2-point stance very often. No one knows for sure how well Smith will be able to handle run blocking from a 3-point stance going by his college game tape because he's rarely done it. In fact, in one Path to the Draft episode on NFL Network, Charley Casserly pointed out examples on Smith's game tape that made him form an opinion of Smith being a poor run blocker who would need a lot of coaching up to be proficient at doing it on the NFL level. At any rate, Eugene Monroe would actually be the safer pick than Smith if the Lions were to go left tackle with the #1 pick just for those reasons.

As for Aaron Curry, Lions GM Martin Mayhew has gone on record to say that if the Lions were to draft Curry he would play middle linebacker for the team. So acquisition of Julian Peterson has no influence on whether or not Curry will be chosen at #1 as Peterson unquestionably plays outside linebacker.

Kruza

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »