Home

Comcast vs NFL

This is a discussion on Comcast vs NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #9

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Comcast vs NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
All parties are to blame. ESPN gets $2.00 per subscriber, Versus gets around $0.50-$0.60,(which is what comcast wants to give them) and NFL network wants around $0.90. Comcast's basic argument is they are paying for 8 games which isn't worth it to them. I think all parties could've handled it better, but like I've said I've been with verizon for over 2 years and they are getting better and better compared to when FiOS first came out.
Yea I agree both sides certainly share a good portion of the blame. I just think if I had to side with someone I would side with Comcast.

However, given the numbers you just gave me, I could probably change my opinion quickly.

I have Direct TV so I am glad it isn't an issue for me and it certainly sucks for the Comcast subscribers.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrbas
That would be nice, I'll turn off the Sports Package they offer since there's no use for it now and I hope everyone does the same just so Comcast gets hit in the pocket.

I need to sit down and figure out a Direct TV package and go with that, Comcast can kiss my ***.
Exactly. First and foremost, comcast sucks. They charge an insane amount of money for shoddy packages and service and have horrible customer service. The thought that they would need to charge more is laughable bc if they need all that they're taking in now just to stay afloat then there are people at the top that don't know what they're doing.

With that said, it has little to do with the issue... neither are "to blame" because it's about business. The NFL believes that their product is worth what they'd like comcast to charge. In other words, they feel like it has enough value that comcast's sales will be hurt by not carrying the channel. Comcast believes their customers are just fine without the channel and feel taking the extra hit from the fee wouldn't get them any more customers (and not taking it won't cost them any). It's a big game of chicken, and honestly my money's on the NFL. Comcast has been losing people to directv and fios left and right as it is, and like me, the NFL package was the icing on the cake to get them to make the final switch. The NFL is a big deal, whether Comcast can see it or not.

For anyone that has Comcast, the only way to get them to see it is by pulling out of packages or switching all together.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 30

Comcast blows, but this is on the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Comcast blows, but this is on the NFL.
So you think at the end of the day this will hurt the NFL more than it'll hurt Comcast? I beg to differ.

BTW, it was just reported that they will continue negotiating... the network won't be shut off. Don't know if there's a new date or anything, that's all I heard.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
So you think at the end of the day this will hurt the NFL more than it'll hurt Comcast? I beg to differ.

BTW, it was just reported that they will continue negotiating... the network won't be shut off. Don't know if there's a new date or anything, that's all I heard.
I can't remember where I heard it, but NFL network has coast the NFL as much money as NFL Europe.

and, of course the will continue to negotiate. I don't know the numbers but comcast was going to lose some customers. I know of 15 people I work will that plan to have FiOS installed in the next two weeks this was one of the reasons they gave when comcast asked why they were leaving.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 04-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton

I don't think it will hurt either, but even if it hurts Comcast more, it doesn't mean it's their fault. If I kill your mother, that clearly would affect you and her more than me, but I would still be the one in the wrong.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
I don't think it will hurt either, but even if it hurts Comcast more, it doesn't mean it's their fault. If I kill your mother, that clearly would affect you and her more than me, but I would still be the one in the wrong.
I think you just redefined the term "comparing apples to oranges", lol. Lets be clear, neither Comcast or the NFL care about you, me or any potential or existing consumer. They both want to make money. Any decision Comcast makes will be in the interest of making or not losing money... the same is true for the NFL. In terms of right or wrong, the only way to know who is and isn't is after the smoke clears on all of this and we see the difference in the numbers. If they pull the NFL Network, we can see if Comcast loses a significant number of costumers or not.

It's a battle of the value of the network. You can't say the NFL is wrong for their price point unless nobody pays for it at that price. That's like any product. Comcast just doesn't want to pay. Can't fault them for that if there aren't that many Comcast customers that want the network. That's the gamble they want to take.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #16
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Thank goodness for FIOS is all I can say.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »