Home

We Need a Petition

This is a discussion on We Need a Petition within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 18
We Need a Petition

For the stupid excessive celebration penalty c'mon i remember when you played football to have fun and the nfl is teaching the opposite which i think in turn is bad for the kids basically telling them they shouldnt have fun playing a sport that was created to have fun it makes me so angry roger goodell is just power and money angry always fining players for the dumbest reasons
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 42
Re: We Need a Petition

I think the root of the penalty is sound...it wasn't to remove FUN but to limit the disrespecting of your opponent.

The problem lies in what sort of celebration could spark issues further in the game vs what is just enjoyment of the moment.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Steeler fans forgive me but the pecident was set at the super bowl to not call it.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 9

Ya, I think that's a pretty weak rule. And Goodell does indeed fine people for all sorts of reasons. In any case, I think celebrations -- or lack thereof -- should be up to the player's discretion.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaduck
I think the root of the penalty is sound...it wasn't to remove FUN but to limit the disrespecting of your opponent.

The problem lies in what sort of celebration could spark issues further in the game vs what is just enjoyment of the moment.
The opponent should stop the guy from getting to the end zone. If you let a guy like Terrell Owens score and then he goes and dances on your logo,well that's just too bad in my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhobbs321813
For the stupid excessive celebration penalty c'mon i remember when you played football to have fun and the nfl is teaching the opposite which i think in turn is bad for the kids basically telling them they shouldnt have fun playing a sport that was created to have fun it makes me so angry roger goodell is just power and money angry always fining players for the dumbest reasons
Somehow, I remember Gayle Sayers, Walter Payton, Tony Dorsett, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, and hundreds of others who didn't need to excessively celebrate, and I enjoyed the game just as much, if not more, in those days.

It's just a sign of the me-first, look-at-me, poorly-parented times we live in. I thought it was a lot cooler, and much more of a statement, when Barry Sanders would just hand the ball to the ref like he'd back in a few minutes.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
Somehow, I remember Gayle Sayers, Walter Payton, Tony Dorsett, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, and hundreds of others who didn't need to excessively celebrate, and I enjoyed the game just as much, if not more, in those days.

It's just a sign of the me-first, look-at-me, poorly-parented times we live in. I thought it was a lot cooler, and much more of a statement, when Barry Sanders would just hand the ball to the ref like he'd back in a few minutes.
^^^+1

I remember video from the sixties that show celebrations after victories. Not Touchdowns.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnuskis
^^^+1

I remember video from the sixties that show celebrations after victories. Not Touchdowns.
Exactly. Remember when the scorer would celebrate by hugging his teammates? Now they run past the o-lineman like they aren't even there.

Now we get wild celebrations for first downs and meaningless sacks when the game is already decided.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »