Home

What rule would you take out the NFL

This is a discussion on What rule would you take out the NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #25
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: What rule would you take out the NFL

first one I would take out would be "excessive celebration"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 22

I would completely change the overtime. Play it more like college, or at least give the other team a chance to tie or beat the other teams score.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #27
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLLWeLL
I would completely change the overtime. Play it more like college, or at least give the other team a chance to tie or beat the other teams score.

I personally hate the college overtime and have stopped watching it(the overtime). Once overtime starts in college the game changes to something else.

Right now both teams have 60 min. to score more than the other team. (I am assuming you are agreeing with ESPN that the overtime isn't fair)They had 60 min. of fair. While it may not be fair, the coin toss only determines who gets the ball first. Not who wins. I have not seen or heard of a better overtime that does not change the way the game is played.

ESPN was on a personal mission at the end of the season last year to change the overtime in the NFL and I am sure they will be at it again this year. If they go to the NCAA type of overtime I will stop watching overtime games. It might be enough for me to stop watching all together. JMO.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #28
MVP

Well I'm not jumping on the ESPN bandwagon to change the overtime. This is how I have felt for years. I understand that there is a fair chance for both teams to score the way it is now. I just feel that the system feels dated and could use a change. I don't think the college system is the best fit for the NFL...but it could provide a start for discussions to change the rules. Either way I doubt they will ever change it.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #29
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

Quote:
Well I'm not jumping on the ESPN bandwagon to change the overtime. This is how I have felt for years. I understand that there is a fair chance for both teams to score the way it is now. I just feel that the system feels dated and could use a change. I don't think the college system is the best fit for the NFL...but it could provide a start for discussions to change the rules. Either way I doubt they will ever change it.

You say it feels dated. Do you feel it is fair? Or at least fair enough? I think off the top of my head the team that gets the ball first wins roughly 60% of the time.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #30
MVP

Quote:
I think it is fair.. It's up to the teams on the field to decide the game, not the toss of a coin. I still would like to see this revamped though in the future.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #31
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnuskis
You say it feels dated. Do you feel it is fair? Or at least fair enough? I think off the top of my head the team that gets the ball first wins roughly 60% of the time.
I'm trying to find a better source, but according to this WikiAnswers page the team who wins the overtime coin toss only wins but 52% of the time; if this statistic is correct, the coin toss effectively is meaningless and based on that I don't support any changes to current overtime rules.

If I were to change anything, I'd make the guidelines for judgement calls such as pass interference and defensive holding just slightly more relaxed. Some of the stuff in this area I've seen called over the past two seasons was rather trivial, from my perspective, and it hinders the flow of the game.

I'd also allow for a broader use of instant replay; not sure exactly what this would entail, and I wouldn't change the number of challenges per team per half, though.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 05-19-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #32
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=2826668

"There has been a rise in the percentage of teams that win the coin toss winning games. That percentage went from 55.9 during 1994-97 to 64.6 for the next four seasons. And after it dropped to 60 percent for 2002-05, it went up to 63.6 last season."

Just a quick reference from April 07. I know this is the same source(ESPN) I suggested wanted the overtime changed to the college system, but we have already discussed ESPN's inadequacies.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »