Home

This is what a $40 million television looks like

This is a discussion on This is what a $40 million television looks like within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #33
All Star

Jasong7777's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: This is what a $40 million television looks like

So the whole world can now see the Cowboys choke again.

Joking

That is a nice tv.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #34
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

My wife's uncle (which sorta makes him my uncle) works for Mitsubishi's Diamond Vision division in Pittsburgh. He got a piece of that commission check from this thing. Let's just say he has a VERY nice house and goes on all kinds of kick *** vacations now thanks to old Jerry.

Last edited by TJdaSportsGuy; 05-27-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #35
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
Its exactly why. Wasted money. Corporate CEO's spending other people's money on extravagant luxuries just because & they want attention. Not one person is going to by a pair of Nike shoes, by a Pepsi soda, open an AE account because they saw their logo on what amounts to an electric billboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
So Nike, McDonalds, Coca-Cola, and Gatorade are among the most successful companies in the world......by sheer luck.

A McDonalds hamburger is made of crappy, cheap products. Gatorade is flavored water. A can of coke actually costs less than 2 cents to make. Look what they charge!!

You think these companies spend millions on advertising because they're bored?

You need to take a class in advertising and consumer psychology. There are so many effective techniques used to "plant" products in your mind, and most people flock to these products because of that.

It's not a waste of money at all. And these companies are doing fantastically well even in this rough economy.

Again, the only two things that caused this economic downturn is (1) banks that were originally pressured to make insecure loans and later got overzealous doing it, and (2) overly powerful unions getting 50-year-old retired auto worker pensions paid $127,000+ salaries after leaving.
Ah, don't stress yourself out arguing with a "*****." We should know, being Cowboys fans, that people just love to hate on the team. They are one of the most recognized and revered organizations in the entire world.

Regardless, what an amazing looking stadium. I understand all the extras add to more money out of pocket for the casual fan, but it seems in the end said fan benefits. I mean, now, sitting in the nose-bleed section is not an issue at all because you can see all the action as if it were in your face.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #36
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
So Nike, McDonalds, Coca-Cola, and Gatorade are among the most successful companies in the world......by sheer luck.
No. There are many reasons. Mostly because they were the first in their field. But its not due solely to advertising. And once more, the point you continue to ignore, they aren't going to sell more simply because their logo is on a giant screen. Or are you going to tell me you're just a lemming that will start going to McD's because they sponsor your favorite team?

Quote:
You think these companies spend millions on advertising because they're bored?
No. I'm not stupid enough to claim advertising doesn't work on some level. I'm saying $3 mill on an ad @ the football stadium isn't going to bring in $3 mill & 1 cent in return.

When companies spend 8 figures for 30 secs at the SB, its mostly because they have money to waste, not boredom. Then they can write it off on their taxes as a business expense.

Quote:
You need to take a class in advertising and consumer psychology. There are so many effective techniques used to "plant" products in your mind, and most people flock to these products because of that.
No I don't. All those college courses mostly do is brainwash people into thinking like programmed zombies that ignore their common sense.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 05-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #37
Pro

OVR: 13

Can we sneak up a PS3 and an HDMI cable to that thing and play Madden 10?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #38
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh

No. I'm not stupid enough to claim advertising doesn't work on some level. I'm saying $3 mill on an ad @ the football stadium isn't going to bring in $3 mill & 1 cent in return.

When companies spend 8 figures for 30 secs at the SB, its mostly because they have money to waste, not boredom. Then they can write it off on their taxes as a business expense.
Actually, it makes more than $3 million (not that it costs $3 million to advertise on the board, but I'll go with it).

First, the expense offsets profit, so about $1.2 million comes back in tax reduction.

Then, it continues the brand recognition theme. Why does Heinz sell so much more catchup than the store brand, when the ketchup is produced at the same place at the same time? Albertson's doesn't have a ketchup factory.

When Subway started running the Jarrod commericials, their profits increased by more than 25 times.

When you need a tissue, why do you ask for a Kleenex? When you need to wash a window, why do you ask for the Windex? When you want a random soft drink, why do you ask for a Coke?

Brand recogntion is only obtained through constant advertising, and when every game, 80,000 people are going to keep looking at the board again and again and again and again, it implants trust in a brand and buying habits that go on for years and years and get transferred to new generations.

Now $50 million to name a stadium is stupid, I agree. That's just an ego thing.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

People who buy because of name recognition instead of the quality/price of the product are weak-minded fools. There is no way anybody can convince me plastering your name over a billboard brings in as much in sales as it cost to put it up there. No way.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 2

well at least you have good seats to watch your team choke and not make the playoffs again

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »