Home

Who is the 3rd Greatest Linebacker of All Time?

This is a discussion on Who is the 3rd Greatest Linebacker of All Time? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #57
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Who is the 3rd Greatest Linebacker of All Time?

I think Derrick Brooks was one of the best linebackers to ever lace them up. He was a main key to that dominant cover 2 the Bucs had all of those years

I might be in the minority, but id put Brooks up with almost any linebacker to ever play
Old 05-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #58
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
Butkus was not fast by today's standards, sorry.
And? A football player is a football player. 40 times are overrated.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #59
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
I think Derrick Brooks was one of the best linebackers to ever lace them up. He was a main key to that dominant cover 2 the Bucs had all of those years

I might be in the minority, but id put Brooks up with almost any linebacker to ever play
Absolutely he never gets mentioned, I think probably because he played in Tampa and wasn't particularly flashy, but I'd put Brooks up against just about anyone.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #60
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

I'd put Brooks up with anyone too. He was awesome.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #61
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Absolutely he never gets mentioned, I think probably because he played in Tampa and wasn't particularly flashy, but I'd put Brooks up against just about anyone.
I agree. Playing in Tampa and being more low key in the media has a lot to do with it

yall think he will make the HOF? He certainly should imo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #62
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaduck
It isn't exactly a knock on Ray Lewis to say he has/had other great players on those D's as much as it's a fact that can't be argued away.

If it helps you to think of it not just a attack on Ray, Urlacher has had better numbers/stats when big noseguards/DT jam up the guards from reaching the second level as well. There is a logic in the scheme of current D's that other players (namely linemen) sacrafice individual achievment for the good of the "Star".
Actually it is a knock on Ray. It's not saying he sucked by any means but if he's moving down in rankings because of this perception then it's a knock on him. And actually it can be argued away also. The Ravens have had 3 different D coordinators and changes at every position around him. The D has remained at a high level when he's been healthy, which is most of the time. So far all of the D coordinators and players that have moved on to other teams haven't looked nearly as good (besides Adalius Thomas). I'm going to assume that Reed, Suggs and Ngata go on to have HOF careers or close to it, but name any other players that will even get mentioned. Woodson and Deion earned their stripes and came to the Ravens on the downside of their careers. Goose, Adams, Pryce, CMac... all nice players but nothing to write home about in the grand scheme of things. And his numbers have been pretty consistent even as he ages, despite who's been around him.

Even Urlacher has seemed to slip a bit without the same players around him. Many in Chicago will argue he wasn't the best LB on the field even at the height of his hype.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #63
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
And? A football player is a football player. 40 times are overrated.
I said, and I quote "playing speed".

Nowhere, ANYWHERE, did I say anything about 40 times.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #64
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Actually it is a knock on Ray. It's not saying he sucked by any means but if he's moving down in rankings because of this perception then it's a knock on him. And actually it can be argued away also. The Ravens have had 3 different D coordinators and changes at every position around him. The D has remained at a high level when he's been healthy, which is most of the time. So far all of the D coordinators and players that have moved on to other teams haven't looked nearly as good (besides Adalius Thomas). I'm going to assume that Reed, Suggs and Ngata go on to have HOF careers or close to it, but name any other players that will even get mentioned. Woodson and Deion earned their stripes and came to the Ravens on the downside of their careers. Goose, Adams, Pryce, CMac... all nice players but nothing to write home about in the grand scheme of things. And his numbers have been pretty consistent even as he ages, despite who's been around him.

Even Urlacher has seemed to slip a bit without the same players around him. Many in Chicago will argue he wasn't the best LB on the field even at the height of his hype.
Oh I call BS on this one. Goose and Adams were BEASTS and made Ray a much better player. They were one of the most disruptive DT tandems in the history of this game.

They did not play together long enough to be all-time greats, but for that 2 or 3 years they were easily the best pair in the league. I should know, the gave Kordell and Bettis all kinds of hell.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »