Home

Could Jim Brown dominate today?

This is a discussion on Could Jim Brown dominate today? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #33
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Could Jim Brown dominate today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaduck
I don't ever see that being a valid argument.

Barry made everybody (including my beloved Bears) look stupid with cuts, jukes, and moves that will remain ageless.
There are people in the sixties who would have said that about Jim Brown. And I am sure in the 40's about Don Hutson.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 29

Besting acting runningback ever.

Runner up is OJ
Old 05-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnuskis
Given that he would be working out the same as today's athletes with their improved training he would be quicker and stronger than he was then. He would one of the top backs in the league and yes I think he would be dominant.
Its not just that. The league has also became more integrated. But to your point about working out, he played at a time where people who were more naturally gifted had a greater advantage. They didnt have year around training in those days so the people who were less naturally gifted stayed that way. Now, that gap is closed. Really, its entirely possible that Brown was closer to his ceiling naturally when he played and so he may not get that much better. Meanwhile, thats not true for the other guys on the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaduck
I don't ever see that being a valid argument.

Barry made everybody (including my beloved Bears) look stupid with cuts, jukes, and moves that will remain ageless.

Yeah, Barry was pretty much in his own category when it comes to elusiveness. Sanders had such a unique skillset that it was almost a disadvantage to run fast against him.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
Brown was just a player ahead of his time.

Put Adrian Peterson, Marion Barber, Brandon Jacobs, Stephen Jackson, or any of today's top backs back in that period, and what would they do?

He was the first of his kind.
Exactly. That was his advantage...similar to Wilt. Better yet, could you imagine if Bo Jackson would have been around in Brown's day?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #38
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesdereuter
Its not just that. The league has also became more integrated. But to your point about working out, he played at a time where people who were more naturally gifted had a greater advantage. They didnt have year around training in those days so the people who were less naturally gifted stayed that way. Now, that gap is closed. Really, its entirely possible that Brown was closer to his ceiling naturally when he played and so he may not get that much better. Meanwhile, thats not true for the other guys on the field.
I don't claim he would be as good today as he was then. But if you took what you see on film which was a 6'3" frame that weighed 235, add more speed, more agility and ten more pounds, I don't know how that wouldn't be a beast of a running back. I also don't know how you can claim what Brown's ceiling could be if he were to work out.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnuskis
I don't claim he would be as good today as he was then. But if you took what you see on film which was a 6'3" frame that weighed 235, add more speed, more agility and ten more pounds, I don't know how that wouldn't be a beast of a running back. I also don't know how you can claim what Brown's ceiling could be if he were to work out.
I dont know what his ceiling would be...and neither do you. But you have to look at how much he would improve with modern training relative to other players. I dont think its going out on a limb to suggest that because he was a naturally gifted athlete he was closer to his ceiling...he likely had a higher ceiling and was closer to it. How much faster do you think he will get?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #40
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesdereuter
I dont know what his ceiling would be...and neither do you. But you have to look at how much he would improve with modern training relative to other players. I dont think its going out on a limb to suggest that because he was a naturally gifted athlete he was closer to his ceiling...he likely had a higher ceiling and was closer to it. How much faster do you think he will get?
I don't think it is going out on a limb to say if you are naturally gifted your ceiling is just as high in comparison to someones ceiling that isn't as gifted. The fact is we don't know.

Wouldn't you love for me to put a number down as to how fast he would get. Why didn't you ask how much stronger he would get or how much more agility he would have? It would all be speculation. But what isn't speculation is todays diet, workout, and supplements he would be faster, stonger, and more agile than what you see on film.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »