Home

Could Jim Brown dominate today?

This is a discussion on Could Jim Brown dominate today? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: Could Jim Brown dominate today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnuskis
I don't think it is going out on a limb to say if you are naturally gifted your ceiling is just as high in comparison to someones ceiling that isn't as gifted. The fact is we don't know.
Naturally gifted people still have the advantage, but less gifted people close the gap a lot with training.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 89

Its a simple no answer

The question is would he "dominate" and the answer is no

not saying he would be good or great, AP doesn't even dominate the NFL
Old 05-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #43
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Naturally gifted people still have the advantage, but less gifted people close the gap a lot with training.
Since you don't think he would be a top tier running back in todays game, what tier(group of comparable backs) of back would you put him in? And if he isn't in the top tier, then he must not be as gifted be todays standards? Then that would mean his ceiling is higher than deurter thinks.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Since you don't think he would be a top tier running back in todays game, what tier(group of comparable backs) of back would you put him in?
If you just plucked him in from the 1960s, I doubt he'd be a starter.

The training, coaching, and diets have advanced so much, and beginning far lower. The talent pool that teams draw from has expanded in unaccountable ways since in his time, southern blacks (the best football players in the country) were not allowed to play major college football for the most part.

If he had the 15 years of coaching and training that everyone else has, I have no idea what he could be.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #45
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
I don't claim he would be as good today as he was then. But if you took what you see on film which was a 6'3" frame that weighed 235, add more speed, more agility and ten more pounds, I don't know how that wouldn't be a beast of a running back. I also don't know how you can claim what Brown's ceiling could be if he were to work out.
We also can't assume how much he'd take advantage of what's available today. Hershal Walker never lifted weights, right? Brown was amazing back then without all the help. We can't say for sure how much he'd decide to take advantage of it.

There are just too many what if's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2009, 01:16 AM   #46
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Its fun to think of questions like these, Would Roger Maris be able to hit against modern pitchers, Could Wilt Chamberlain put up numbers today like he did in his day.

Personally, I think he would be one of the best RBs in the NFL if he played today cause the guy was an absolute stud. Jim Brown was not only the best Running back every to play his position, but he was also the Best Lacrosse player in his day. Jim Brown was simply the best athlete of his time.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:16 AM   #47
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
Its fun to think of questions like these, Would Roger Maris be able to hit against modern pitchers, Could Wilt Chamberlain put up numbers today like he did in his day.

Personally, I think he would be one of the best RBs in the NFL if he played today cause the guy was an absolute stud. Jim Brown was not only the best Running back every to play his position, but he was also the Best Lacrosse player in his day. Jim Brown was simply the best athlete of his time.
Its debatable whether or not he was the greatest running back of all time. I realize that many feel this way but, as you say, he was fortunate to be the forerunner. Best as in production, perhaps...not sure he was better than some of the RBs that came after him though.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #48
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesdereuter
Its debatable whether or not he was the greatest running back of all time. I realize that many feel this way but, as you say, he was fortunate to be the forerunner. Best as in production, perhaps...not sure he was better than some of the RBs that came after him though.

I always find it intersting how time goes on a players greatness usually diminishes. In a few years Brown is going to be Don Hutson or Bronko Negurski who only succeeded because they were ahead of their time. Baseball does a great job of remembering its great players, but football fans are quick to dismiss it. Just my observation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »