Home

Poor QB play is rampant in the NFL. Who else has a theory as to why?

This is a discussion on Poor QB play is rampant in the NFL. Who else has a theory as to why? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 31
Re: Poor QB play is rampant in the NFL. Who else has a theory as to why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
A quick comment about your list you're definition of "replaceable" is very broad (without getting caught up in your list):

While the teams you have listed with these so-called replaceable quarterbacks may indeed be able to find a better quarterback somewhere in the NFL, that doesn't necessarily mean that that team's particular quarterback is a major liability to the success of the team, much less a liability at all. Along the same lines, the quarterbacks of some of those teams you have as being "replaceable" are by no means "mediocre".

More or less, I personally feel like you're painting with way too broad of a brush here. That's all.
I completely agree with this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #26
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
A quick comment about your list you're definition of "replaceable" is very broad (without getting caught up in your list):

While the teams you have listed with these so-called replaceable quarterbacks may indeed be able to find a better quarterback somewhere in the NFL, that doesn't necessarily mean that that team's particular quarterback is a major liability to the success of the team, much less a liability at all. Along the same lines, the quarterbacks of some of those teams you have as being "replaceable" are by no means "mediocre".

More or less, I personally feel like you're painting with way too broad of a brush here. That's all.
In a league where there are only 32 starting spots only the best of the best should be represented. You mean to tell me that a nation of 300 million people can only produce NINE elite QBs?

These guys should be the Delta Force of football. Guys with amazing skills. Why are so many of them so average?

The answer is right in front of you: rules designed to "protect" supposedly elite players end up breeding weakness.

Lets say you had your own military. Why on earth would you put your rank and file soldiers through the toughest training, then go easy on your elite special forces? How much sense would that make? Now your average soldier is BETTER than your elite soldier.

This is exactly what the NFL has done with it's QBs. They have it way too easy, so too many incompetent and untalented players are allowed in. Even the ones that play at an elite level do so largely because they take advantage of the free pass they've been given and not because they are more talented.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #27
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

I feel like this has been an exercise to educate us. A discussion steered to reach the conclusion you want us to.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #28
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
In a league where there are only 32 starting spots only the best of the best should be represented. You mean to tell me that a nation of 300 million people can only produce NINE elite QBs?

These guys should be the Delta Force of football. Guys with amazing skills. Why are so many of them so average?

The answer is right in front of you: rules designed to "protect" supposedly elite players end up breeding weakness.

Lets say you had your own military. Why on earth would you put your rank and file soldiers through the toughest training, then go easy on your elite special forces? How much sense would that make? Now your average soldier is BETTER than your elite soldier.

This is exactly what the NFL has done with it's QBs. They have it way too easy, so too many incompetent and untalented players are allowed in. Even the ones that play at an elite level do so largely because they take advantage of the free pass they've been given and not because they are more talented.
Foremost, I'd contend that it takes more than a quarterback to make a passing offense look good; if the guys around a skilled quarterback aren't good, that quarterback isn't going to look very good as the guys around him won't be able to pull their weight and the QB can't do it all himself.

Secondly, and using some of the exact words you used to make your point, if the quarterbacks are the best of the best of the best at their positions, the "Delta Force of football" as you put it, then that has to hold true for every other position on the field, including the defense. Going up against great defenders, regardless of one's skill level, is never easy, and one has to assume that any one mistake a quarterback makes is going to be capitalized on by these great defenders.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 15

By definition, there cannot be 20 something elite QBs in a league of 32. Frankly, the premise of this topic is shaky and seems, IMO, to have simply been concocted as a talking point rather than a legitimate issue. When 19 teams can say that the problem with their team is not their QB, that's pretty good.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #30
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
By definition, there cannot be 20 something elite QBs in a league of 32. Frankly, the premise of this topic is shaky and seems, IMO, to have simply been concocted as a talking point rather than a legitimate issue. When 19 teams can say that the problem with their team is not their QB, that's pretty good.
I agree 100%. You've got a small handful of "elite" QBs, then a large group that wouldn't replace who they have with anyone outside of that small handful. Most (if not all) of that group is what he called "replaceable". Makes no sense.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #31
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnuskis
I feel like this has been an exercise to educate us. A discussion steered to reach the conclusion you want us to.
I was curious about other people's theories. Some of them make sense to me, like the fact that there are alot of bad teams, coaches and systems out there.

I'd like to see the QB position live up to it's billing. I'd like those players to be elite. The NFL has no Michael Jordan because the one position that has the highest profile has had all the athleticism sapped from it.

People love Tom Brady for his Superbowls, but I don't know anyone who's impressed with him physically. He's just not very talented from an athletic standpoint. Most football fans seem to think this is a good thing. I guess I'm all alone in wanting to see more talented players at the position.

Tebow will be a FB in the NFL. But if you leveled the playing field and took out all the silly rules, I think guys like him and Pat White would be great NFL QBs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
I'd like to see the QB position live up to it's billing. I'd like those players to be elite. The NFL has no Michael Jordan because the one position that has the highest profile has had all the athleticism sapped from it.
Apples and oranges. Football is much more of a team game, IMO. You can win a Super Bowl, or at least be very successful, without a great quarterback (see Dilfer, Trent and Grossman, Rex).

Quarterback is the most high-profile position in our eyes, and because the ESPN-types force-feed it down our throats. But the bottom line is that the NFL relies so much on 11 guys being in sync on each side of the field.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »