Home

Poor QB play is rampant in the NFL. Who else has a theory as to why?

This is a discussion on Poor QB play is rampant in the NFL. Who else has a theory as to why? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16
Poor QB play is rampant in the NFL. Who else has a theory as to why?

There are only 32 starting QBs in the NFL. Of those, 6 are top flight, another 4 are pretty good. All the rest are either up and down players, new, or outright replaceable.

The top six, in no particular order:

Brees
Warner
P. Manning
Brady
McNabb
Roethlisbeger

The second tier four, in no particular order:

Hasslebeck
Rivers
E. Manning
Palmer

After that, everyone else is either erratic (Romo), has a limited track record (Ryan), is new (rookies) or is replaceable (Collins).

Some of these guys outright suck. Now, I have made my position known about how the NFL's "safety" and "pass friendly" rules have made this breed of QBs weak, cowardly and physically inept. Many of you disagree with me. I'd like to know, why do YOU think there are so many crappy QBs in the NFL today?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40
Re: Poor QB play is rampant in the NFL. Who else has a theory as to why?

I think QBs don't get enough time to develop and by the time they start to getting going the coach gets fired and the offenses system changes..
Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
I think QBs don't get enough time to develop and by the time they start to getting going the coach gets fired and the offenses system changes..
With the (some say needless) complexity of today's playbooks, this is a serious problem and I agree with you. Jason Campbell has had SEVEN offensive coordinators in eight years. That's WAY too much to learn. Now he's stuck in a system (the short West Coast) that fits neither him, or the personnel that surrounds him. With those running backs, and smallish speedy receivers he should be running a play-action type offense.

So lets throw bad coaching on top of the pile of reasons.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 29

I'd imagine that throughout the history of the NFL most starters were awful.

With the media today it just gets more attention especially with how the NFL draft is promoted.

Then you also have companies like Nike and other sponsors wanting to find the next great QB prospect to hopefully make a football player as marketable as a basketball one.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
There are only 32 starting QBs in the NFL. Of those, 6 are top flight, another 4 are pretty good. All the rest are either up and down players, new, or outright replaceable.

The top six, in no particular order:

Brees
Warner
P. Manning
Brady
McNabb
Roethlisbeger

The second tier four, in no particular order:

Hasslebeck
Rivers
E. Manning
Palmer

After that, everyone else is either erratic (Romo), has a limited track record (Ryan), is new (rookies) or is replaceable (Collins).

Some of these guys outright suck. Now, I have made my position known about how the NFL's "safety" and "pass friendly" rules have made this breed of QBs weak, cowardly and physically inept. Many of you disagree with me. I'd like to know, why do YOU think there are so many crappy QBs in the NFL today?
Don't agree with your list, but to your point, this has actually always been the case. The QB is the key to a good team. They are so hard to find.

Take any era, and most teams are weak at quarterback. Those that aren't typically win, Archie Manning's Saints notwithstanding.

I also think defenses are so much more difficult to beat these days.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
With the (some say needless) complexity of today's playbooks, this is a serious problem and I agree with you. Jason Campbell has had SEVEN offensive coordinators in eight years. That's WAY too much to learn. Now he's stuck in a system (the short West Coast) that fits neither him, or the personnel that surrounds him. With those running backs, and smallish speedy receivers he should be running a play-action type offense.

So lets throw bad coaching on top of the pile of reasons.
Also throw in the lack of development time for QB
and the supporting cast, Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were success last year because the players around them..
Old 06-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The C
I'd imagine that throughout the history of the NFL most starters were awful.
Exactly.

Much like with the "the 90s music was so much better" thread, people forget that Montana, Marino, and Elway weren't the only quarterbacks at the time.

I'd imagine it's always been 3-4 top level QBs who can do well in any situation, 5-6 who can do very well in a decent situation, 5-10 who need a good situation to flourish, and a bunch of bad players.

I'd imagine the bigger issue is that with these gameplans, fantasy football, and 24 hour sports coverage, you actually know and see the bad quarterbacks from other parts of the country more so than 20-30 years ago.

Last edited by Cebby; 06-03-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

You could say that Roethlisberger and McNabb are erratic, up and down QB's too.

I think there is a massive overreaction to a QB having a bad year or a QB who gets the job done but doesn't throw for a 101.2 QB rating. No more patience at that position anymore.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »