Home

Veterans of the NFL are no longer respected.

This is a discussion on Veterans of the NFL are no longer respected. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #25
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Veterans of the NFL are no longer respected.

^ Agreed. Technology is the main thing that has created such a huge gap in between generations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #26
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Technology and trends. The boom of reality shows help a good number of young nobodies become famous...
Good point. Add to this the fact that most of these young players are making more money than the veterans due to the jacked up rookie contracts. Doesn't Matt Stafford have a bigger contract than Tom Brady?

Now you have these young guys walking in who have been overpublicized, overhyped, and making more than everyone in the locker room. Hell no they don't want to listen to anyone other than their agent, parents, & friends who have been kissing their asses all along.

Did anyone watch path the the draft a few months ago? The segments featuring Michael Crabtree almost made me vomit. The way his uncle and everyone else around him kissed his *** was pathetic. Vince Young is another prime example.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
Now you have these young guys walking in who have been overpublicized, overhyped, and making more than everyone in the locker room. Hell no they don't want to listen to anyone other than their agent, parents, & friends who have been kissing their asses all along.

Did anyone watch path the the draft a few months ago? The segments featuring Michael Crabtree almost made me vomit. The way his uncle and everyone else around him kissed his *** was pathetic. Vince Young is another prime example.
Aside from being one of the higher paid guys on the team (which, let's face it, if you're a top 5 pick, you probably deserve to be), what on your list of complaints hasn't been around since the dawn of sports?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #28
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Aside from being one of the higher paid guys on the team (which, let's face it, if you're a top 5 pick, you probably deserve to be), what on your list of complaints hasn't been around since the dawn of sports?
It's the volume that's different. Like you said, this has always been true, even with the attitudes of kids outside of sports. But now, it's a much bigger "phenomenon", for lack of a better word. Before, besides your family and friends it was the cover of sports illustrated, and mentions on espn when they're getting ready for the draft. Now every move you make is put on display before you even turn 20. The shows are on year round and you can just google yourself and count the pages to pump your own head up. And if you aren't getting the huge press, you can just create your own following by making blogs, facebook friends and push out a twitter account. The big headed player's got a much stronger voice... which gives him an even bigger head.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:45 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 9

I think my Raiders should sign Derrick Brooks. Our strongside linebacker position is always up in the air. Despite our draft, I don't think anyone's really gonna have it locked-down for the upcoming season.

While Thomas Howard and Captain Kirk have the Will and Mike spots, respectively, I don't think it would hurt to have the veteran leadership of Derrick Brooks at the strongside. He might even be able to straighten-out Kelly and Sands.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #30
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
Good point. Add to this the fact that most of these young players are making more money than the veterans due to the jacked up rookie contracts. Doesn't Matt Stafford have a bigger contract than Tom Brady?
You know what I find very sad? The Ford family can afford to pay a 20 some-odd year old kid a huge contract with $40+ million in guranteed money, yet the same family refuses to afford to keep employees with families, mortgages, bills, etc at struggling manufacturing plants employed. And the Fords have their hands out for billions of bailout money? Absolutely disgusting. Goes to show how messed up this society is.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #31
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox1994
I think my Raiders should sign Derrick Brooks. Our strongside linebacker position is always up in the air. Despite our draft, I don't think anyone's really gonna have it locked-down for the upcoming season.

While Thomas Howard and Captain Kirk have the Will and Mike spots, respectively, I don't think it would hurt to have the veteran leadership of Derrick Brooks at the strongside. He might even be able to straighten-out Kelly and Sands.
Would be an ideal spot. He wouldn't have to worry about being the man either, just a cog in the LB corps.

I wonder if a team like Indy would take him. They have young LBs who he could mentor & teach the Tampa-2 defense. I'm sure Brooks will sign with a contendor for little money; something about his work ethic & love for the game would lead me to believe he'd want a shot at another Ring instead of money, but who knows.

Tennessee or Baltimore would also be a nice fit. The Bills would be excellent with Pouz & Mitchell and his selflessness would negate TO's selfishness. The Bengals might make some strides this year and he could help Mauluaga (sp) & Rivers step up their on-field awareness.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #32
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

I don't know Tennessee's situation but there's no way the Ravens would sign him. They don't need him and do need to get their young guys as many reps as possible.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »