Home

Greatest NFL Defense of all time!!!!

This is a discussion on Greatest NFL Defense of all time!!!! within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Greatest Defense of All Time!!!!!!!!
91 Philly 6 5.94%
72 Dolphins 1 0.99%
85 Bears 39 38.61%
00 Ravens 31 30.69%
70's Steelers 24 23.76%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2009, 05:10 AM   #49
MVP

OVR: 42
Re: Greatest NFL Defense of all time!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
Marino was only 14 of 27 in that game. The Dolphins were aided by 4 turnovers from the Bears. Though I can't remember every detail from that game, seeing that the Dolphins had a low completion percentage, yet still had 10yds per pass attempt, I don't think Marino was using a WC style.

Again, big plays were the only way you were getting anywhere. You simply didn't drive the ball on the Bears that season. It was a short field or a long bomb.
What part of a ten yard average on pass plays makes you think they were long bomb attacks?

He chipped away at the man coverage in the flats with short slants/hook patterns that didn't require a ton of protection time and maximized his quick release.

4 turnovers didn't HELP, but even as a Bears fan, I don't minimize the smartness of the Dolphins game plan that night.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #50
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaduck
What part of a ten yard average on pass plays makes you think they were long bomb attacks?

He chipped away at the man coverage in the flats with short slants/hook patterns that didn't require a ton of protection time and maximized his quick release.

4 turnovers didn't HELP, but even as a Bears fan, I don't minimize the smartness of the Dolphins game plan that night.
According to the box score, 175 yds came on 5 passes. 65% of their passing yards came on 5 throws, averaging 35 per play. All receptions went to the wideouts. Not one to a RB or TE. Dolphins weren't using a dink & dump attack.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 07-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #51
MVP

OVR: 42

Get a replay and watch those passes...the yards were mainly after catch yards.

The 46 often isolated the corners on man to man coverage in the bet that the rush would get there. Marino just ditched it on quick slants and let the Miami WR's work across the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #52
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by six
Yea, that amazing Ravens Defense in 2000 sure looked great giving up 300+ yards to the Titans in that playoff game. They should all think Al Del Greco for that Super Bowl because if current Titan's kicker Rob Biranos or even Joe Nedney was the Titans kicker in that game, the Titans win that game. The Titans Defense gave up like 135 yards and 5 first downs that whole game...yea, the Ravens defense and team was clearly better that game and that year...not.

I'm not denying they dominated the Raiders and Giants...because they did, but the Titans also had a great all time defense in 2000 that no one talks about because their stupid kicker missed 3 field goals including one ran back for a TD and their all pro runningback literally...handed the ball of to Ray Lewis for an interception for a score to clinch the game for the Ravens.
A little bitter, eh? Wasn't it a Ravens defender that ran back a missed fg for a TD... doesn't Ray (the guy that got the int and ran it back for a score) play D? I guess from your perspective they don't count as great defensive plays though. Ok.

BTW, the Titans did have a great defense in 2000. You can bring them up if you want... I wouldn't put them above the Ravens that year but you can try to make the argument. May want to do better than your attempt here to discredit the Ravens.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #53
Banned

dopeboy206's Arena

OVR: 18

I voted for the 85 bears second choice would of been the Ravens that won a SB with Dilfer as their QB.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by six
Yea, that amazing Ravens Defense in 2000 sure looked great giving up 300+ yards to the Titans in that playoff game. They should all think Al Del Greco for that Super Bowl because if current Titan's kicker Rob Biranos or even Joe Nedney was the Titans kicker in that game, the Titans win that game. The Titans Defense gave up like 135 yards and 5 first downs that whole game...yea, the Ravens defense and team was clearly better that game and that year...not.

I'm not denying they dominated the Raiders and Giants...because they did, but the Titans also had a great all time defense in 2000 that no one talks about because their stupid kicker missed 3 field goals including one ran back for a TD and their all pro runningback literally...handed the ball of to Ray Lewis for an interception for a score to clinch the game for the Ravens.

YES!!! The Titans DID have a defense nearly as good as the Ravens that year. But since they were playing in 2000, they never get mentioned. But that defense was outstanding.

RIP Steve. You will always be my Hero.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #55
six
Banned

OVR: 6

Dude, spin it anyway you want, we gave up 135 yards and 5 first downs. The Titans offense shredded you for over 300...and if not for our idiot kicker missing 3 chip shot field goals would have won. Even if Lewis still scores, its 19-17 Titans win. I would take the Titans defense over the Ravens, the Titans were number 1 in defense that year in case people forget, not the mighty Ravens.

I cannot fathom how lucky the Ravens are when they play the Titans. I thought we had finally ended the pathetic curse you guys have on us last year when we scored to beat you 13-10 in the regular season in your house...but alas you guys beat us by the same score in the playoffs because LenWhale White and Alge Grumpy old man Crumpler forgot how to hold on to the football, and we can't forget your friend the ref that made one of the worst non calls in NFL playoff history by not calling a false start on your game winning field goal drive.

Yea, I'm bitter man, you guys have robbed my team of two Super Bowls IMO, I seriously doubt the pitiful Giants would have beaten the Titans and I know we would have taken Arizona to the woodshed last year as well beat Pitt something your team couldn't seem to master in 3 chances last year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #56
Banned

OVR: 18

THE 85 BEARS'

for one reason is that well the front seven and we had one hell of a safty and he was WHITE .... amazing! BUT imagine being a QB and you have to try to not get injured or hurt by these list of players

1.) mike singletary
2.) ottis willson
3.) richard dent
4.) the FRIDGE
5.) dan hampton
6.) steve michmicheal
7.) wilber marshall

and well lets look at our DB

1.) Gary Fencik FS

AND THAT IS IT !!!! NO MORE QUESTIONS ... THE PASS RUSH WAS JUST TO MUCH!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »