Home

Steve McNair: Hall of Famer?

This is a discussion on Steve McNair: Hall of Famer? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is Air McNair a Hall of Famer?
Yes 17 25.00%
No 51 75.00%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #17
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Steve McNair: Hall of Famer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKoz26
Jim McMahon is very overrated. I'd put all of those QBs ahead of him.
Shocking statement from a Chicagoan.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 15

McNair needed to win one Superb Owl or get to multiple. He did neither. He's got a tough road to the HOF.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #19
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

If they had a way to easily measure impact other than statistics, I think he's a HOF'r. In other words, I think he was special enough as a player, rare enough, to be a HOF'r, he just didn't get all the required figures to back it up.

What made Steve great also in a way made his HOF prospects limited. Had he played less like a warrior and more like a guy who doesn't want to get that extra yard at the expense of his own health, maybe he's still even in the league right now. Of course, he wouldn't be nearly as special a player, but his stats and chance for a ring, and hence a HOF placement, would have been better.

I also think, had Steve been drafted to a pass happy team, his stats would have been a lot better. In his MVP season, Steve was passing like an elite QB on the Titans run first offense. For most seasons however, he wasn't given the weapons, the offense, or the respect as a passer from his own team that he deserved. Steve always had the tools to be an elite passer, but the Fisherball approach simply didn't embrace it.

I think there's a lot more Favre in McNair than many think. Given different conditions, this probably would have been a reality.

The lack of a ring ultimately does damage the HOF status the most unfortunately, even if he was clearly on a mission to win that SB on that final drive against the Rams and basically did all he could, and then just a bit more.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #20
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Steve was a real good football player and a tough one at that no doubt. But a hall of famer is a big ? mark right now. He had a real good carreer. But thats all up in the air for the next five years. But I would not make him a HOf just because he died at a early age from been murder. I got a lot respect for him. But it's all according to his lifetime stats and him not winning the SB agaist the Rams kind of hurts his chances of been a hof. So it's hard to tell.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #21
MVP

I think that a HOFer is a player that was one of the best at his position for the majority of his years in the league. I think McNair was that. Also, I think that a HOFer will have had some intangible elements in their legacy. With his toughness I think he has that. I think that McNair is put in maybe 10-15 years from now
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #22
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
I think that a HOFer is a player that was one of the best at his position for the majority of his years in the league. I think McNair was that. Also, I think that a HOFer will have had some intangible elements in their legacy. With his toughness I think he has that. I think that McNair is put in maybe 10-15 years from now
I like your criteria, and along with what Nza said I think McNair could've been one of the best at his position for the majority of his years, but the reality is he wasn't. He was when he needed to be, so one could think that he could've been whenever he wanted to but since that wasn't really the case, it'd be tough to vote for him.

I think a good comparison would be Big Ben. If we take everything he's done but take away the rings and say he only got to the SB once, we can still see the intangibles and general skill even though his role doesn't call for it as frequently as some others. He gets props for it bc it helped bring the Steelers two rings. I think if McNair had won even one ring he'd be in. As it stands, I think he's just on the outside looking in.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:33 AM   #23
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Nope.

Actually I don't think it's really that close.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:45 AM   #24
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I think a good comparison would be Big Ben. If we take everything he's done but take away the rings and say he only got to the SB once, we can still see the intangibles and general skill even though his role doesn't call for it as frequently as some others. He gets props for it bc it helped bring the Steelers two rings. I think if McNair had won even one ring he'd be in. As it stands, I think he's just on the outside looking in.
Good comparison. I'm going to steal that and use it in the future.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »