Home

Steve McNair: Hall of Famer?

This is a discussion on Steve McNair: Hall of Famer? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is Air McNair a Hall of Famer?
Yes 17 25.00%
No 51 75.00%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #33
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Steve McNair: Hall of Famer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsb84
1. On one, thats a fair point. That was his best year, i don't think he deserved MVP considerations though. Looking at his statistics, again I don't see MVP there and I believe there were a number of QBs ahead of him in a few key categories. He did throw a low amount of INTs but he didn't have a lot of attempts either compared to other top QBs. He was also sacked an awful lot compared to the top tier QBs that year.

2. My point there was that, for as much of a "warrior" as he was, those two guys did it better in the same time period. In no way am I comparing their statistics, there would be no point in that. If I dug a bit more, I'm sure I could find a LOT of players who played through injuries and started just as many if not more games then him. Being that he gets the ball the most, it's plausible that he should have sat a few games and let Volek (who did well off the bench) come in while he healed.
Not going to argue with you too much because I do agree that he doesn't deserve to be in the HOF. You can't just look at stats though. He wasn't asked to throw the ball all that much, and that year I believe whenever he was asked to put the team on his back he did put up some nice numbers anyway. The low interceptions and big plays at key times had more to do with the MVP honor than anything else. As for the second point, lets assume he was HOF worthy. There's no reason all 3 couldn't be, right? That's what I was saying. I wouldn't rank him ahead of Favre or Manning but that doesn't really matter. As for other players playing through injury, his consideration for the HOF isn't just because of that. He barely practiced and still played at a pro bowl level every week.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that bc I do agree with you, he won't (and shouldn't) make it in.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #34
Pro Sports Handicapper

bababooey76's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Steve McNair: Hall of Famer?

Not at all. Was a tough player, had a few good years, but other than the co-mvp year, was never really one of the top QB's in the league.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »