Home

Brandon Jacobs on Tony Romo: "He's Not That Good"

This is a discussion on Brandon Jacobs on Tony Romo: "He's Not That Good" within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Brandon Jacobs on Tony Romo: "He's Not That Good"

Add Brandon Jacobs to the list of people who don't think Romo is any good:

Quote:
Tony Romo has endured his share of critics this offseason: Terence Newman, Terrell Owens, and uh, Eminem.

It's time to add Brandon Jacobs to the list.

In an interview with Brandon Tierney on ESPN 1050 in New York (via the Blue Screen), the enjoyably honest Giants running back admitted he's not impressed with the Cowboys starter.

"I don't think he's that good a passer, to be honest with you," Jacobs said.

Jacobs believes that Romo can't survive as a pure pocket passer. Much of Romo's success comes while improvising on the run.

"I'm not a fan of Tony Romo, no. Keep him in the pocket, he's not that good. . . . His luck will be gone sooner or later. If you were to keep Tony Romo in the pocket he's not that effective."

Romo's sudden status as the league pinata, among Cowboys fans and others, has probably gone too far. (Yes, thanks, I'm aware the Cowboys haven't won a playoff game under Romo.)

While he's not Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, Romo has consistently produced at a high level since taking over as the Dallas starter in 2006.

Romo is fourth in NFL history in career yards per attempt with an 8.1 average. The three names in front of him: Otto Graham, Sid Luckman, and Norm Van Brocklin. (Although none of them have ever dated Jessica Simpson.)

Romo won't have to wait long to try to prove Jacobs wrong: The Giants will help open the Cowboys' new stadium in Week Two.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Brandon Jacobs on Tony Romo: "He's Not That Good"

I don't think that's pure hate though, at least he gives a real opinion on why he doesn't think Romo is that great and let's face it, Romo is hugely overrated if you listen to Cowboys fans talk about him. I think Jacobs actually has a point here, Romo does struggle when there's a decent pass rush going up against him and he's in the pocket.

We've seen him making ill advised throws and looking pretty bad at times when most other QBs would be a little more cooler under said pressure.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

At the same time, SPTO, as many of those times that Romo has panicked and messed up, just as many times he's pulled something out of his butt and helped his team make a play on offense by buying his receivers time to get open.

More to one Brandon Jacobs' comments: Romo has nearly a career 2:1 TD-to-INT ratio, completes passes at a 60+ precent clip, has a career passer rating of 94.7, and is 27-12 as a regular season starting quarterback. I realize numbers don't tell the whole story, but the description "not that good" does not fit those numbers. The description "not that good" does not fit the guy who I've watched for 2+ years as the Cowboys quarterback.

Is Romo the be-all end-all at the position? No. Is he deserving of criticism for his recent leadership shortcomings as well as his historic struggles in December? Yes. Does he make some bad throws? Yes, and more than he should. Does he fumble too much? Yes. All that said, is he deserving of being the league's pinata, as the article put it? No; he's a good player. Not a great one right now, but a good one; you could do much worse at starting quarterback in today's NFL than Tony Romo.

I fully realize I'm beginning to sound like a broken record as much as I'm harping on this across this board.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I don't think that's pure hate though, at least he gives a real opinion on why he doesn't think Romo is that great and let's face it, Romo is hugely overrated if you listen to Cowboys fans talk about him. I think Jacobs actually has a point here, Romo does struggle when there's a decent pass rush going up against him and he's in the pocket.

We've seen him making ill advised throws and looking pretty bad at times when most other QBs would be a little more cooler under said pressure.
Also, Jacobs would easily whoop Romo in a fight, so he has no reason to not talk trash
Old 07-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
Also, Jacobs would easily whoop
anybody
in a fight, so he has no reason to not talk trash
Fixed it for you!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislimb
Fixed it for you!
I wouldn't go that far. I'd be REALLY surprised if anyone could beat James Harrison in a fistfight. REALLY surprised.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

Romo is a nice player and he has a decent arm, good legs, good vision. But what he lacks is that killer instinct. Same deal with Mcnabb...Mcnabb is supremely talented, but he folds when the going gets rough. Romo is one of the most mentally fragile QBs in the league. One mistake means more is to come because his lack of mental toughness will create that snowball effect.

I'd rather have Eli Manning as my QB. Ya he might not be as physically gifted as Mcnabb or maybe not even Romo, but the guy is ICE and definitely cooler under pressure compared to his more gifted big brother. Same with the late Mcnair, not overly talented, but when the going gets tough, he steps up.

I remember the playoff game 2 yrs ago against the giants. Cowboys were still in striking range to take the win, but the game was hard on Romo. He acted like a whiny kid when there were flags, drops, etc.

THAT to me is his most glaring flaw. Same deal with D-Mac.....when he has a good series and has a nice lead, he smiles from ear to ear, has a lot of fun the commentators say....but in a close game late....he just won't deliver.

Last edited by phillyfan23; 07-09-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Romo is the NFL's version of A-Rod. Regular season production outperforms his late season work.

I don't think he's unskilled @ all. I just think he doesn't have the mental makeup, as of yet, to lead a team to a title. Does anyone have any hint that Romo is a leader in the locker room or the huddle? I get the same exact vibe from A-Rod. Instead of Tony the Tiger, Romo is Tony the Timid. When he stops trying to be the All-America QB, stops trying to be liked by everybody, & starts taking charge & ownership of the team, no matter the hurt feeling & criticism, he'll become a complete NFL QB.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »