Home

Derrick Mason Retires!

This is a discussion on Derrick Mason Retires! within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 19
Re: Derrick Mason Retires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Well I know you hope you're wrong so I won't feel bad when I get to say "I told you so" .

They might have the worse WR corp in the league. It was thought to be down there (along with the QB) back in 2000 too. It could be very ugly too, but they should still win at least 10 games. If you think White and Mason are why these kids are good, then you don't think that highly of them. They're certainly a big help but Brady, Brees, Rivers, etc. took the next step without big time WRs. As a Ravens fan, I'd rather have one (or two) but it's not the end of the world.
I absolutely think that White and Mason are a big reason as to why these guys were so highly acclaimed last year. It doesn't mean they aren't good, it means that two solid vets played an integral role in helping them to become very good very early in their career. So, I'm supposed to sit back and hope that Flacco turns into a Brady or Brees his second year, and that the Ravens will be fine with no offense because the 2000 defense won a superbowl with no offensive help? I'm sorry man, but I just can't be as optimistic as you. Say what you want, but the loss of Mason is huge.

BTW, you are right, I pray that I am wrong.

Last edited by Adam Dayton; 07-13-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #42
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I'm not concerned with Flacco. I'm concerned with WR's. Think of it this way. The Giants were the s**t with Burress. When Burress left, Eli Manning died. Not because he sucks, but because guys were dropping passes. Guys could not get open and all of a sudden that Giants run game got a lot easier to deal with. Boss was easier to bracket, it was easy to just roll to cover 0 and blitz them like crazy.

Now Mason is no Burress, but he knew how to get open and he always stayed with the QB and for the most part caught just about everything thrown to him. Think about some games we had to win last season in order to make the playoffs and I'll say without Mason we would not have made it. Dallas. Even with those big runs at the end, Mason did so much earlier in that game to propel the offense. The Titans playoff game, Mason caught our only TD pass and played tough the entire game. When McNabb had Pinkston, Mitchell and Thrash, he could only take the Eagles so far. The QB can be good as he wants to be, but sometimes without that help .....
Last year we're probably 8-8 at best without Mason. That's also factoring in that Flacco was a rookie that was supposed to be 3rd string coming into the season. The entire secondary was healthy for maybe one game... all 3 RBs for maybe 3. If we're going to expect all the issues we had last year, we'd be lucky to make the playoffs even with Mason. This year there's reason to be optimistic about some of those areas. Losing Mason just brings us back down closer to last year.

McNabb's Eagles have lived in the NFC championship game almost his entire starting career. They have problems when Westbrook is hurt. They've gone through WRs like crazy and continue winning.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #43
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

From Mike Duffy (one of the better Raven's writers) Twitter:

Don't buy the Mason retiring hype just yet people.

Seems as if this could be a ploy by Mason to get some more money out of Baltimore.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #44
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

I hope it is but I'll have to drop my respect for Mason down a notch if that ends up being true. He'd still be the man, but not a move I'd expect from who I think he is.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
From Mike Duffy (one of the better Raven's writers) Twitter:

Don't buy the Mason retiring hype just yet people.

Seems as if this could be a ploy by Mason to get some more money out of Baltimore.
Like I said, classy guy that Derrick Mason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #46
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I hope it is but I'll have to drop my respect for Mason down a notch if that ends up being true. He'd still be the man, but not a move I'd expect from who I think he is.
This is the same guy who complained about his number of receptions and weak stats the week before we faced the Colts in a playoff game. In game Mason= Classy. Non in game Mason= Closet diva.

If the rumors are true, I wouldn't be sad if Ozzie showed him the door.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #47
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

To quote Grunt, "All WRs are divas." I didn't think he was one of the few who wasn't, but would've never thought he'd go this far. I still think McNair's death had a bit to do with his decision, either way.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #48
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52
He's Back

This didn't take long...Derrick Mason un-retires.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=4371282

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »