Home

The NFL "Really, He Played For Them?" Thread

This is a discussion on The NFL "Really, He Played For Them?" Thread within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #57
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: The NFL "Really, He Played For Them?" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnuskis
Bubba Smith: Oakland and Houston

Merlin Olsen: Denver Broncos(well, drafted by them)

Fred Dryer:Rams(also known for tv role Hunter)

John Matuszak: Houston, KC(Sloth from Goonies)

Lyle Alzado:Cleveland

Roosevelt Grier:NYG and LA Rams-Wow a real life Forest Gump! He appeared in (Man from UNCLE), I Dream Of Jeannie, Daniel Boone, Kojak, CHiPs, Quincy, Roots, and Love Boat. Oddly enough, also had a variety show called "The Rosey Grier Show" that lasted exactly one episode. He also appeared on Match Game, and in one episode of The Simpsons (as himself). Also known for espousing the masculine virtues of needlepoint. Rosey served as a bodyguard for Robert Kennedy during his run for president in 1968, but was guarding Ethel Kennedy, the Senator's wife, then expecting a child, the night that Kennedy was assassinated in Los Angeles in 1968. Grier and Olympic gold medalist Rafer Johnson heard shots fired ahead of them. Grier grabbed the gun of the assassin, Sirhan Sirhan, and jammed his finger behind the trigger, breaking Sirhan Sirhan's arm.(Kennedy's speach that day included the line,"Rosey Grier said he would take care of anybody who didn't vote for me." He also recorded 25 records on 14 different labels. He also counciled OJ Simpson in prison.

-"Grier's football career seems sort of incidental," observed the Sports Illustrated reporter. "Especially since Grier, in a shifting sea of involvements, seems to have led about six different lives since then. It's difficult even to think of him as a former athlete."
Is it really that shocking that Lyle Alzado played for the Browns? I mean, I know he was known for being the crazy Bronco/Raider, but he was still a big name when he was with the Browns for those years.

Anyway, one that I'm sure will shock most everyone is that Phil Simms was a Cleveland Brown for about half a day, then after he signed his contract and was on his way to the press conference, he had second thoughts.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 9

^lol. After he signed his contract and made his way to the press conference, he had second thoughts.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #59
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox1994
^lol. After he signed his contract and made his way to the press conference, he had second thoughts.
Phil Simms was never actually introduced, Bill Bellyache come out and told the media to go home, there was no announcement, even though the media saw him in the hallway.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #60
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
Is it really that shocking that Lyle Alzado played for the Browns? I mean, I know he was known for being the crazy Bronco/Raider, but he was still a big name when he was with the Browns for those years.
I think it's more because his time in Cleveland was associated with a slight decrease in his production (I think one year they actually had him play out of position) and the fact that the Browns were known more for their offense that people overlooked their defensive personnel. Alzado was also a bit unhappy with his time in Cleveland as well and wasn't nearly as animated as he was in both Denver and LA.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #61
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I'd say McCardell will be remembered most for his time in Jacksonville.
I dont even remember him in Jacksonville, i remember Tampa. Either way for the purpose of the thread, he played for Washington for a short time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #62
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
I dont even remember him in Jacksonville, i remember Tampa. Either way for the purpose of the thread, he played for Washington for a short time.
Hmm, maybe it's territorial. I didn't know he was a skin (and has a ring from that year!). The reason JAX is big to me is because he was Brown and when they moved to B'more they decided he shouldn't make the trip. So every time that crazy JAX offense torched my Ravens I thought about how that guy killing us probably should've still been on the team... years of not having a good WR after that didn't help either. I always liked him.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #63
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Here's one that really depends on where you're from

Bart Oates....I think of him as a Giant but i'm sure those on the West Coast remember him more as a 49er.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #64
MVP

sb24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Hmm, maybe it's territorial. I didn't know he was a skin (and has a ring from that year!). The reason JAX is big to me is because he was Brown and when they moved to B'more they decided he shouldn't make the trip. So every time that crazy JAX offense torched my Ravens I thought about how that guy killing us probably should've still been on the team... years of not having a good WR after that didn't help either. I always liked him.
It could be i dont have the best memory

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »