Home

Who Are You 5 Current or All Time Best/Worst Coaches in the NFL.

This is a discussion on Who Are You 5 Current or All Time Best/Worst Coaches in the NFL. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #33
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Who Are You 5 Current or All Time Best/Worst Coaches in the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
Lombardi was a great coach, but much of his legacy only exists on NFL Films.
Football coaches, heck of all sports, at all levels look at how lombardi motivated and prepared his teams. Its too bad fans forget so soon. Too bad for them because he is a top 5 coach of all time.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #34
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

I went back and found my post to this subject from June. I didn't want to contradict myself.

Re: The OS "Who's The Best" Thread

1. Paul Brown
2. Vince Lombardi
3. George Halas
4. Don Shula
5. Bill Bilicheck

But there are so many other great ones. Knoll, Walsh, Curly Lambeau, Landry, Bud Grant, Sid Gilman.

Worst NFL Coaches:
Well, there is going to be a lot of discrepencies here. How do you analyze this? Is it a coach taking winning team and turning them into a noncontender, or is it the coach of a team with no talent? Well, I will do my best, but hopefully you guys give me some more names so I can learn about ineptitude.

In no particular order:
1. Rich Kotite
2. Ray Rhodes
3. Mike Tice
4. Ray Handley
5. John McKay
Old 07-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #35
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnuskis
Football coaches, heck of all sports, at all levels look at how lombardi motivated and prepared his teams. Its too bad fans forget so soon. Too bad for them because he is a top 5 coach of all time.
His accomplishments pale in comparison to those of Landry, Walsh, and heck even Dungy did some things that were revolutionary. Ditka was a great motivator too, that doesn't make him one of the top 5.

My revised list:

Bill Walsh
Paul Brown
Don Shula (even though I hate him for the 1978 rules changes)
Chuck Knoll
Tom Landry

Parcells and Dungy are just outside the top 5.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #36
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
I went back and found my post to this subject from June. I didn't want to contradict myself.

Re: The OS "Who's The Best" Thread

1. Paul Brown
2. Vince Lombardi
3. George Halas
4. Don Shula
5. Bill Bilicheck

But there are so many other great ones. Knoll, Walsh, Curly Lambeau, Landry, Bud Grant, Sid Gilman.

Worst NFL Coaches:
Well, there is going to be a lot of discrepencies here. How do you analyze this? Is it a coach taking winning team and turning them into a noncontender, or is it the coach of a team with no talent? Well, I will do my best, but hopefully you guys give me some more names so I can learn about ineptitude.

In no particular order:
1. Rich Kotite
2. Ray Rhodes
3. Mike Tice
4. Ray Handley
5. John McKay
John McKay was a great coach, and I would have loved to play for him. He took the MOST TALENTLESS TEAM EVER in the 1976 expansion Bucs and made them playoff contenders in less than 3 years. They hosted the NFL Championship game in 1979. That's an amazing accomplishment. He took a tidal wave of hate for making Doug Williams his franchise QB, but he made it work.

John McKay was a great coach and man, he does not deserve to be on anyone's "worst" list.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #37
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

Quote:
His accomplishments pale in comparison to those of Landry, Walsh, and heck even Dungy did some things that were revolutionary. Ditka was a great motivator too, that doesn't make him one of the top 5.
9 years as Packers head coach, 5 championships, .736 winning %, 9-1 in playoffs. Took over a 1-10-1 team and went 7-5 first year. Never had a losing season, even though he took over two pathetic losers. Those accompishments don't pale compared to anyone. (Do you want to look at those winning % again and the teams he took over?)

As far as revolutionary, he developed the "Lombardi sweep" or the "Packer power sweep", which ever you want to call it. The zone blocking schemes of today start with him. The end result is running to daylight.

Coaches to this day still keep and reread his books What it takes to be #1:Vince Lombardi on Leadership and The Lombardi Rules:26 lessons from Vince Lombardi_the Worlds Greatest Coach. Show me who conciders Ditka(a good coach who I like) in the league of Lombardi?

Those coaches you named are all excellent coaches and accomplished a lot. But the only way to explain how you downplay Lombardi is through pure ignorance. You really do need to brush up on some history. You say a lot of controversial things, but you loose a lot of credibility with this one.

edit-You compare Lombardi to a coach who is named on the all-time worst list and one who we have to have a thread to discuss if he is hall of fame material, becuase if it was as clear cut as Lombardi the question wouldn't have to be asked. Wow.

Last edited by shnuskis; 07-21-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #38
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
9 years as Packers head coach, 5 championships, .736 winning %, 9-1 in playoffs. Took over a 1-10-1 team and went 7-5 first year. Never had a losing season, even though he took over two pathetic losers. Those accompishments don't pale compared to anyone. (Do you want to look at those winning % again and the teams he took over?)

As far as revolutionary, he developed the "Lombardi sweep" or the "Packer power sweep", which ever you want to call it. The zone blocking schemes of today start with him. The end result is running to daylight.

Coaches to this day still keep and reread his books What it takes to be #1:Vince Lombardi on Leadership and The Lombardi Rules:26 lessons from Vince Lombardi_the Worlds Greatest Coach. Show me who conciders Ditka(a good coach who I like) in the league of Lombardi?

Those coaches you named are all excellent coaches and accomplished a lot. But the only way to explain how you downplay Lombardi is through pure ignorance. You really do need to brush up on some history. You say a lot of controversial things, but you loose a lot of credibility with this one.
I only named one Steelers coach. So yeah, I may lose cred with you Pack fans, but not with Dallas, Miami, Cleveland and Frisco fans.

Is he better than Shula, Knoll, Landry, Walsh and Brown. Case by case, tell me why Lombardi is better than each.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 15

I don't know how there could be any GOAT other than Shula. Two losing seasons in three decades is unfathomable. Shula took camp casualties like Larry Little, Jim Langer, and Bob Kuechenberg and molded them into the greatest offensive line of all time. Shula didn't cling stubbornly to one philosophy. His philosophy was winning whatever the cost.

Guys like Noll, Walsh, Madden and Lombardi that only had at most 15 years of dominance can't compare. They had a corp of guys that made up their team for the majority of their careers. Shula coached possibly the least talented team to ever make it to the SB in the 1982 Fins. He willed a team QB'd by Don Strock and David Woodley all the way to a SB.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #40
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

Quote:
John McKay was a great coach, and I would have loved to play for him. He took the MOST TALENTLESS TEAM EVER in the 1976 expansion Bucs and made them playoff contenders in less than 3 years. They hosted the NFL Championship game in 1979. That's an amazing accomplishment. He took a tidal wave of hate for making Doug Williams his franchise QB, but he made it work.

John McKay was a great coach and man, he does not deserve to be on anyone's "worst" list.

John McKay was a great man. That doesn't constitute a great coach. 2 winning seasons in 9 years, more imporantly 7 losing seasons in 9 years(unlike the Fischer arguement of 6 winning seasons in 15 years because he only had 5 losing seasons) When we discussed this in June, I did some research and don't know where it is now and don't really care to find it again. But I found that in that 76 season he gave up on the team. I mean completely gave up. He didn't talk or interact with a player for the last few weeks of the season. For this, he deserves a spot on my worst list.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »