Home

Watching NFL Replay: Fins/Birds Wildcard game: Pat White could win that job.

This is a discussion on Watching NFL Replay: Fins/Birds Wildcard game: Pat White could win that job. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #25
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Re: Watching NFL Replay: Fins/Birds Wildcard game: Pat White could win that job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnuskis
Are you still waiting for Drew Brees to make it in the NFL?

Overall I agree with you. But I think it comes down to the college coach not preparing the qb for those situations. Only coaching to win at the college level and not helping the overall development of his qb.
Touche. I must admit that I forgot all about Brees.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #26
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Watching NFL Replay: Fins/Birds Wildcard game: Pat White could win that job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
IIRC, we had zero turnovers out of the Wilcat last season. Once again, teams have only stopped it because there was no pass threat. Ronnie Brown's hadn't thrown the ball since his Pop Warner days. Pat White isn't a Pro Bowl passer, but all he'll have to do is throw to absurdly wide open WRs. Teams have NOT shown they can stop a pass/run threat in the Wilcat.

The only fear I have about the Wildcat is that Pat White is much smaller than Ronnie Brown. I'm not sure his frame could stand up to extended Wildcat usage. Honestly, Tim Tebow would be a better fit for the Wildcat.
That's a bit of a stretch. The Ravens actually ran a version of the wildcat with Troy Smith under center (I believe completed a nice long pass to Flacco against your Dolphins in the regular season... but it may have been against somebody else). If there's no protection up front those WRs either won't be absurdly wide open bc blitz packages aren't needed, or the 3rd string QB thrown in there cold probably isn't the ideal person to have behind center trying to run a trick pass play down the field. Plus I'd guess Ronnie Brown can take a pop from a sprinting NFL LB a little better than White.

White makes the wildcat better if he can quickly get to NFL speed, comfortable and start hitting WRs more than Parcell's golf cart. As of the beginning of the 09 season, I'd rather have Ronnie Brown making decisions on whether to run, pass or go down. And overall, I'm sure the Dolphins would rather have a standard offense that uses less wildcat than they did last year, but they were forced to use more smoke and mirrors with the personnel they had available.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #27
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
That's a bit of a stretch. The Ravens actually ran a version of the wildcat with Troy Smith under center (I believe completed a nice long pass to Flacco against your Dolphins in the regular season... but it may have been against somebody else). If there's no protection up front those WRs either won't be absurdly wide open bc blitz packages aren't needed, or the 3rd string QB thrown in there cold probably isn't the ideal person to have behind center trying to run a trick pass play down the field. Plus I'd guess Ronnie Brown can take a pop from a sprinting NFL LB a little better than White.

White makes the wildcat better if he can quickly get to NFL speed, comfortable and start hitting WRs more than Parcell's golf cart. As of the beginning of the 09 season, I'd rather have Ronnie Brown making decisions on whether to run, pass or go down. And overall, I'm sure the Dolphins would rather have a standard offense that uses less wildcat than they did last year, but they were forced to use more smoke and mirrors with the personnel they had available.
The point here is, if you made it more than a gimmick package then you could make it work. All you've seen up to this point is the gimmick package, so for you to dismiss it outright as a full-time option isn't really fair.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #28
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
The point here is, if you made it more than a gimmick package then you could make it work. All you've seen up to this point is the gimmick package, so for you to dismiss it outright as a full-time option isn't really fair.
Well we're talking about Pat White and this coming season. Honestly, you can look at it like the Ravens D (or Steelers D)... it works full time bc of the personnel in place. Miami introduced it (imo) mostly bc of lack of overall personnel for the base option. If they get to a point where they have the perfect personnel, sure they can run it full time. And yes, it's possible White could be the QB to lead that charge. It's not happening in 09 though, and I don't think that's an unfair assumption for many reasons that only start with White being a rookie who currently can't seem to hit an elephant standing in front of him. We can also consider the great season Pennington just had individually and helping the team go from 1-15 to 11-5, or the fact that Henne is still thought to be the QB of the future. The Oline still isn't all that great, though getting better. The WR core is VERY young and just being fast isn't enough for the many 2nd/3rd and long situations failed "wildcat" attempts would put them in.

You noticed in that game against the Ravens how few times they ran the wildcat? They couldn't do anything with it against the Ravens in the regular season either. If it weren't for Pennington actually doing a little in their regular offense, the Phins would've gotten completely crushed in that game.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #29
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Shotgun Styles = Skip Bayless?!?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 07-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #30
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiznetno1
Shotgun Styles = Skip Bayless?!?!?
Dear God no. Skip is a jackhole. He likes to say controversial things to get attention, not because he believes them. He's a hype machine. I don't get paid for my opinion, probably because everyone thinks I'm insane.

I'm not insane. And if I say that I'm not insane enough times, I might make myself believe it.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #31
Pro

OVR: 6

Good defenses usually make QBs look bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #32
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

The problem with making the wildcat work full time is you need a qb who can take the abuse of the running game in the nfl. Can Pat White take that abuse for a 16 game season? That is the one advantage Tebow would have over Pat White.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »