Home

Farve to Stay retired.

This is a discussion on Farve to Stay retired. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #57
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Farve to Stay retired.

This kills the Vikings. The players were counting on him being there, and now they've got two backups whose confidence has been shot through all this.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #58
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

The only thing they wasted their time on was on sending people down there back and forth and communicating with him on whether or not he wanted to come back and when Childress set a deadline for Favre to make a decision and then only to back out of it less than 24 hours later.

You forget that in the WCO, you don't have to be the most athletic QB out there and if reports were true that the offense would be the same as ours(which I personally didn't believe it was)then he wouldn't have had any problems. That's not to say he wouldn't struggle out there as far as INTS are concerned because those were going to come anyway but it wasn't like Coaches had plays already made for him and now they have to trash all of those plays and come up with new ones for Jackson now.

As far as TC was concerned, he was more than likely only going to be practicing once a day on a few occasions anyway just so Coaches would be able to conserve his arm for the Season. As for the players, that's something none of us will know because we aren't there to measure their thoughts on it and if they were still behind Jackson but we do know that there were more players that came out and said they wanted Jackson to be their QB and believed that he could succeed out there whereas with Favre, it was still the same thing being said: "If Favre comes back and joins us then great but if not then we're still going to go about our business as a team and continue to support the team's decision as far as QB is concerned."
Old 07-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
The only thing they wasted their time on was on......
I respectfully disagree. I think its fantasy to think they would do all they did to see if he was coming & yet still go about their planning as if he didn't matter one way or the other. They had to make contingency plans for his arrival, or else they were wasting their time the other way around. They wouldn't be doing their job.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
I don't disagree with those numbers because those are the facts but to say he is THE reason we lost in the playoffs is far from true and once again people just overexaggerating themselves to get their point across.

Again, if you want to say he is THE reason we lost in the playoffs then acknowledge the fact that he is also THE reason we even made the playoffs.
Absolutely. 13 years with 3500+ yards, 14 years with 20+ TDs... The guy was a gunslinger. Plus while the list is not short, thats 8 different playoff years -- Most guys don't go to the playoffs 8 years in their career :-)

Last edited by MattieShoes; 07-29-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #61
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Apparently, this is another one of those "For Now" moments Brett is having:
Quote:
The amount of Brett Favre stories will hopefully decrease in the coming weeks, but they aren't going to stop. At best, the volume will go from unbearable to aggravating.

Favre and his agent Bus Cook made sure of that in their comments made in the aftermath of Tuesday's decision to stay retired. For now.

Cook appeared on Sportscenter Wednesday and would not rule out Favre possibly returning to play for the Vikings at some point this season.

Cook said he "doesn't foresee any of that happening right now." (Our italics, since you can't italicize while speaking out loud.)

Cook also spoke about what type of situation would attract Favre: "I don't think he'd go to a team unless it was a contender. In fact, he probably wouldn't go to a team unless its the Minnesota Vikings."

Cook recognized that door might be closed and confirmed that Favre would continue to work out, which Favre spoke about with SI's Peter King. Favre says not to read too much into it.

"I'll toss the ball around, but I ain't tossing it to keep in shape to play," Favre said.

But how can we not take it as a sign when Favre says he's hurt and possibly surprised by his own decision to turn down the Vikings?

"I passed up the greatest chance I could have had right now, and it hurts,'' Favre said. "By saying no, I know I'm leaving an incredible opportunity on the table, and that opportunity is not coming back.''

Favre knows that's not exactly true. Things change fast in the NFL, and there is no telling what situation could arise that would inspire him to play.

"I really believe this is it. I truly, truly believe it's over. But if someone calls Nov. 1, who knows?''
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #62
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Favre doesn't want to go to training camp plain and simple. I would not be shocked if he's down there reading the playbook.

I'm still betting he ends up in purple.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #63
Banned

OVR: 17

Good riddance.............until he decides to come back just before pre-season. It's funny, this guy has unraveled 3 teams in 1 calender year and he didn't even play for one of them. Not even Terrell Owens can say that. Most over-rated QB ever IMHO. It's easier to rack up stats when you're allowed to hang around for years longer than you should be just because you're the "face of the Packers" and management is too afraid to tell you hit the road.......even though you haven't won jack in years. And it's easier still when you don't miss any games, even if playing hurt harms your team more than it helps it. Brett Favre's legend was a creation of the media.

- Since Brett's only Super Bowl victory 100 years ago he's 5-7 in the playoffs with 21 TD's to 21 INT's

- In the final 3 games of seasons 05 - 08 he threw 8 TD's to 24 INT's.

- In his last 5 playoffs losses he threw 8 TD's to 15 INT's.

- 3 of the last 4 seasons he threw at least as many INT's as TD's.

I'm still wondering where the media ever got the idea this clown was supposed to transform the Vikes into a Super Bowl favorite. He's done and has been done for years. The numbers don't lie, 07 was a total fluke.

"T-jack" outperformed Favre down the stretch last season when it counted. And let's not blame the arm injury, as the numbers indicate Favre has performed poorly far more often than not down the stretch in recent years......especially when it matters most. Bye bye Brett. Don't let the door hit you in the backside on the way out.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #64
Banned

OVR: 15

this disappoints me greatly. I was looking forward to him ruining the Vikings season, and getting to see the Bears tee off on him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »