Home

The HoFer "Doug Flutie"

This is a discussion on The HoFer "Doug Flutie" within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 42
Re: The HoFer "Doug Flutie"

I'm not coming down on the career of Flutie per se but somebody has been smoking their Flutie Flakes if you think he's getting into the HOF.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Not in football
Who let you guys be a country?
Old 07-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #19
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Actually he threw for 40k+ yards in Canada and I think that ranks him about 6th or 7th all-time here. I'd have to double check but the numbers have been seen a lot during CFL broadcasts lately because Anthony Calvillo is climbing up the all-time lists. (He's now 2nd to Damon Allen)

Can't compare that, it's two totally different talent pools. Compare stats gathered in the CFL to the ones gathered in NFL Europe not with the NFL. Hell compare 'em to the XFL just not THE LEAGUE, and I actually found someone who watches the CFL (Currently I live really close to Canada) and he said it's pretty pass happy, is that true or false??
Old 07-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #20
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalutationsNJ
Can't compare that, it's two totally different talent pools. Compare stats gathered in the CFL to the ones gathered in NFL Europe not with the NFL. Hell compare 'em to the XFL just not THE LEAGUE, and I actually found someone who watches the CFL (Currently I live really close to Canada) and he said it's pretty pass happy, is that true or false??
The CFL like it or not is the 2nd best pro league in the world. It's just that the rules are very different which promotes passing over running. The gap between talent was a lot closer from the '50s through to the early '80s on the whole.

As to your friend he's right, it's an extremely pass happy league but isn't a bastardization of football the way the arena game is as there's also been some good RBs who've been around. Granted, most of the CFL's greatest RBs have been small scatback type guys with the exception of Mike Pringle who was small by NFL standards but was a pretty standard style runner.

That being said the CFL goes in cycles where the offense is a lot better then defense and vice versa. I'd say right now the league is in a transition stage as both offense and defense are closer together. You tend to see more blowouts in the CFL at times but the close games are REALLY entertaining. There are also at least a couple teams that try to use the run on a par with the passing. Right now we're seeing Edmonton trying that out as well as Winnipeg.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #21
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalutationsNJ
Yep (three downs, remember), though not as much as when Flutie played. The NFL record for passing yards in a season is what, 5084 by Dan Marino? Flutie had 6 seasons of 5500+ passing yards (albeit the CFL season is 2 games longer), including a ridiculous 6619 in 1991. The CFL featured a very high-scoring, entertaining style of football in the 80s and 90s. Not so much anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 15

There isn't an NFL Hall of Fame. The Hall in Canton is for Pro Football. If any CFL player deserves to get into the Pro Football Hall of Fame it's Doug Flutie.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
There isn't an NFL Hall of Fame. The Hall in Canton is for Pro Football. If any CFL player deserves to get into the Pro Football Hall of Fame it's Doug Flutie.
:a ppl:

And for the comments about the talent pool in the CFL, that is a dumbfounding statement. Thats why Ricky Williams went to the CFL AND GOT SHUT OUT!!! He wasn't good enough for the CFL...
Old 07-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #24
Please don't go.

cooldude's Arena

OVR: 15
Location: One of The World's Leaders in Crude Oil: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
I'd put Damon Allen ahead of him on that list, but I agree he deserves to get into the PRO(not NFL) HOF.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »