Home

One of the great debates: Rod Woodson or Deion Sanders?

This is a discussion on One of the great debates: Rod Woodson or Deion Sanders? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: One of the great debates: Rod Woodson or Deion Sanders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Not really fair to hold that against him. As Deion got older he was moved to nickel. Can say it was all the injuries or lack of being able to make a change to extend his career as well as Rod did, but that should be a plus for Woodson, not an excuse to be used against him since we're still talking about DBs.
Precisely. What made Deion great was his athletic ability. What made Rod great was his athletic ability and his football intelligence/instincts. Also why he was able to make the move to FS and be an all-pro there as well. Along with his ability tackle and bring the pain.
71 carrer INTs (#3 All-Time), 12 ret for TDs (#1 All-Time), 1483 Int Return Yards (#1 All-Time)
Member of NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team (Along with 5 other Steelers)

http://www.nfl.com/history/legends/75th-anniversary

Last edited by BlackNGold; 08-21-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #58
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalutationsNJ
This will probably has/will be repeated several times: Deion Sanders.
My favorite player growing up, and would probably own the NFL INT record if teams weren't scared s***less to throw to his side. Rod was great (official HOF'R) but we all know PRIMETIME IS GOING TO BE A SHOO_IN!!
Rod was a shoo in too. 1st ballot HOF as everyone knew he would be.
71 carrer INTs (#3 All-Time), 12 ret for TDs (#1 All-Time), 1483 Int Return Yards (#1 All-Time)

Old 08-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #59
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

5 posts in a row! You'll go that far to defend a Steeler. Wow.

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...
Old 08-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #60
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ2320
Deion $anders hands down!
"Show me a corner who can tackle and I'll show you a corner who can't cover"-Deion $anders
He should tell that to Dick Lane, Mike Haynes, Mel Blount, Mel Renfro, Herb Adderley, Willie Brown and Darrell Green.

All in the Hall.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #61
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKoz26
5 posts in a row! You'll go that far to defend a Steeler. Wow.
LoL. I just got in to the discussion late and had a lot to say. And yes. Been bleeding Black&Gold for over 30yrs. I've seen them play in 5 Super Bowls and win 4 of them.

Last edited by BlackNGold; 08-21-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 9

^F'sho, f'sho. You mentioned Night Train and Wilbrown. Plus, Rod ended his career as a Raider. As a result, you gets MUCHO PROPS. lol.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #63
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold
He should tell that to Dick Lane, Mike Haynes, Mel Blount, Mel Renfro, Herb Adderley, Willie Brown and Darrell Green.

All in the Hall.
All of whom can't even compare to Deion $anders. You wanna no why tackling for a corner is so overrated just look at Rod Woodson trying to tackle Barry Sanders. He never touched Barry Sanders and got his knee shook out of place! Only to come back in the superbowl where he got beat on I think a forty five or fifty yard pass play to none other than Deion $anders. Receivers and quarterbacks respected Rod Woodson, but those same quarterbacks and receivers "FEARED" Deion $anders. Despite all that Rod Woodson couldn't do half the things Deion $anders did. For example playing defense and offense for an entire game as well as playing an entire different sport on top of that! Deion $anders had more impact on an offensive scheme than Rod Woodson ever had. Woodson had all of those interceptions because like I said no one feared Rod Woodson to the point that they wouldn't throw the ball to his side of the field for an entire game. To Woodson's credit though he made them pay for throwing to his side.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ2320
All of whom can't even compare to Deion $anders. You wanna no why tackling for a corner is so overrated just look at Rod Woodson trying to tackle Barry Sanders. He never touched Barry Sanders and got his knee shook out of place! Only to come back in the superbowl where he got beat on I think a forty five or fifty yard pass play to none other than Deion $anders. Receivers and quarterbacks respected Rod Woodson, but those same quarterbacks and receivers "FEARED" Deion $anders. Despite all that Rod Woodson couldn't do half the things Deion $anders did. For example playing defense and offense for an entire game as well as playing an entire different sport on top of that! Deion $anders had more impact on an offensive scheme than Rod Woodson ever had. Woodson had all of those interceptions because like I said no one feared Rod Woodson to the point that they wouldn't throw the ball to his side of the field for an entire game. To Woodson's credit though he made them pay for throwing to his side.
Michael Vick had more impact on a defensive scheme than any QB, yet he always was a terrible quarterback. I don't really think that's a very good measuring stick.

Deion Sanders was undoubtedly a phenomenal DB and a phenomenal athlete but I think you guys are putting him on a bit too much of a pedestal. There are LOTS of phenomenal DBs throughout history and Deion wasn't head-and-shoulders above them when you look at their entire careers.

I grabbed approximate value numbers from PFR for 5 guys -- Deion, Rod, Paul Krause (the career INT leader), Ronnie Lott, and a simply "good" DB, Walt Harris for comparison.

DS - RW - PK - RL - WH
20 - 21 - 17 - 18 - 9
16 - 19 - 16 - 17 - 7
15 - 18 - 16 - 15 - 7
15 - 18 - 16 - 14 - 7
14 - 17 - 14 - 13 - 7
13 - 17 - 14 - 13 - 6
13 - 14 - 13 - 11 - 6
13 - 12 - 13 - 10 - 6
8 - 12 - 12 - 10 - 6
7 - 11 - 10 - 9 - 6
4 - 9 - 9 - 8 - 6
4 - 7 - 7 - 8 - 5
3 - 7 - 6 - 7 - 3
2 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 0
0 - 4 - 5 - 0 - 0
0 - 2 - 2 - 0 - 0
----------------------
114 142 126 117 59

The career numbers are not simple addition -- They weight things so players with long careers don't dominate. A career number in the neighborhood of 80 seems to be about the lower limit for HOF candidate, and 100 is pretty much a lock. Clearly, both Rod Woodson and Deion dominated. To say anybody could do what Woodson did is pure hyperbole.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »