Home

Brett Favre=Mr. Overrated (Now officially back)

This is a discussion on Brett Favre=Mr. Overrated (Now officially back) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Brett Favre=Mr. Overrated

Translation...I really don't like Brett Favre.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #10
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4ever
Nine Pro Bowl selections. Seven division titles. Super Bowl champion in 1996. Most Valuable Player in three consecutive years. Most touchdown passes in NFL history. 283 consecutive games played. 164 wins as a quarterback—40 of them coming from behind. A lock for the Hall of Fame.

Bottom line: Favre ranks first all-time in every single major passing category, including yards, touchdown passes, and wins. He earned three consecutive MVP awards and led the Packers to a Super Bowl victory in 1996. He played through more injuries than almost any player in history.

And yet he is still overrated.

He flat-out choked in the playoffs in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2007. His '96 Packers were 1,000 times better than the New England Patriots, and it would have been considered an enormous disappointment had they lost the Super Bowl. The Pack was heavily favored against the Broncos in 1997 and did lose, costing Favre a second ring.
I'm a little confused as to how not anyone with credentials like these: 3 MVPs, a superbowl ring, 1 losing season as a starter, won 63% of his regular season games, holds virtually every passing record in the books, great 4th quarter QB, a consistent playoff performer with 39 TDs and 28 ints (10 of those came in 2 bad performances, in the other 20 playoff appaerances it was 35 TDs vs 18 interceptions).

I'd hate to see what it takes to crack your top 10.

Quote:
He forces way too many passes and has set interception records that may never be broken. The last 11 years of his career have not matched his first six seasons, and some of his full seasons have been flat-out disappointing for a quarterback in the NFL.
There are different styles of quarterbacks. Favre is a gun slinger, he is going to trust his ability to make the throw and more often than not he makes the play. With those chances comes the opportunity for defenses to make more picks.

I doubt we'll ever see someone break his interception records, but that is because most QBs who throw that many interceptions don't have the positives to go along with it (in Farves case those positives are many).

I don't know where this notion that he wasn't great in big games comes from. I guess this really is a what have you done for me lately. I think the memories of 2002, 2005, and 2007 playoffs just stick out in peoples mind where he a bad game in each of the first 2 seasons and then threw that interception in 2007.

There are a few I'd put ahead of him, but he's pushing top 5.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:06 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 15

QBs I consider better than Brett Favre:

Joe Montana
Dan Marino
John Unitas
Bart Starr
Roger Staubach
Sammy Baugh
Sonny Jurgenson
Otto Graham
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady

Well that's 10. I'd say he's on par with Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Warren Moon, Bob Griese if I feel particularly homeristic. He just had too many bad seasons when a QB should be in his prime. The way the modern game is so biased towards offense, there's no excuse for a good QB to throw more INTs than TDs in multiple seasons, much less in his prime.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #12
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I agree that Favre is not the GOAT but to completely diss the guy is a bit much IMO. I just watched the entire '96 season and Favre was just amazing. In a lot of ways that's the first year the whole "Favre is god" thing started to blow up. The man threw a fair share of INTs but made it up with some passes that no man would ordinarily make yet he got it done.

Also I wouldn't exactly lay all the blame for the SB against the Broncos on Favre. Elway was pretty damn good in that game especially after the rough patch at the start of the game. Terrell Davis played a good game as well. The Broncos exploited the top heavy Packers' D-line and got those guys tired and ineffective once the 4th quarter rolled around. You can't lay all the blame on Favre.

The other games that were listed....Yes you can legit say that Favre caused those losses but he wasn't alone.

Anyways he's in my top 10-15 depending on the day and mood i'm in.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 08-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #13
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4ever
Nine Pro Bowl selections. Seven division titles. Super Bowl champion in 1996. Most Valuable Player in three consecutive years. Most touchdown passes in NFL history. 283 consecutive games played. 164 wins as a quarterback—40 of them coming from behind. A lock for the Hall of Fame.

Bottom line: Favre ranks first all-time in every single major passing category, including yards, touchdown passes, and wins. He earned three consecutive MVP awards and led the Packers to a Super Bowl victory in 1996. He played through more injuries than almost any player in history.
And having all of these accolades to himself unequivocably proves he's one of the best quarterbacks, in some people's minds THE best quarterback (disclaimer: not me, I have him in my top 5 though), to ever buckle a chinstrap. End of story.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:14 AM   #14
We'll waste him too.

snepp's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
I guess the phrase, "the QB gets all the credit for the win and all the blame for the loss" holds true in this case. Especially the ladder part of that quote.
Latter.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 60

Are you serious? He's a legend.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2009, 01:29 AM   #16
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
QBs I consider better than Brett Favre:

Joe Montana
Dan Marino
John Unitas
Bart Starr
Roger Staubach
Sammy Baugh
Sonny Jurgenson
Otto Graham
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady

Well that's 10. I'd say he's on par with Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Warren Moon, Bob Griese if I feel particularly homeristic. He just had too many bad seasons when a QB should be in his prime. The way the modern game is so biased towards offense, there's no excuse for a good QB to throw more INTs than TDs in multiple seasons, much less in his prime.
That is an um...interesting(?) list. One guy who threw more interceptions than touchdowns in his career, another who played in the 40s and 50s, a few guys who lost a lot of games, and half the list is comprised of guys whose TD to Int ratio was worse than Favre's.

Everyone wants to forget about every other stat Favre has put up and only look at the interceptions. It seems like when it comes to Favre everyone throws out the MVPs, total and come from behind wins, playoff performances, etc... and only look at the interceptions. Seems like a double standard imo.

As far as him throwing more interceptions than touchdowns, that happened 3 times:
1993: 2nd season as a starter (definitely not his "prime")
1999: A bad season that was not helped by a total lack of a running game and a terrible defense
2005: He was 36, definitely not what one would consider a prime year for athletics, and the team was just down right bad.

Only one of those seasons could be considered in his prime.

At 38 years old he led a team that was 4-12 the year before to 8-4 before tearing a muscle in his arm and finishing 9-7

Something else to think about. Consider all the wins he had and records he put up as a passer. Now consider how succesful he was when he lacked a running game for much of his career. From 1992-2008 he played on a team that was in the top 10 in rushing 3 times, in the top 15 an additional 2 times, and 20th or worse 10 times. He had some really good defenses early in his career, but from 1999 on his defenses had an average ranking of 16th in the NFL.

One last very interesting fact. Of your top 10 the only QBs who go further between interceptions (pass attempts) are Montana, marino, Brady and Manning.
The only one of the comparable QBs you gave who did that was Steve Young.

Last edited by KSUowls; 08-09-2009 at 01:46 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »