Home

Brett Favre=Mr. Overrated (Now officially back)

This is a discussion on Brett Favre=Mr. Overrated (Now officially back) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Pro

dragon4ever's Arena

OVR: 9
Brett Favre=Mr. Overrated (Now officially back)

Nine Pro Bowl selections. Seven division titles. Super Bowl champion in 1996. Most Valuable Player in three consecutive years. Most touchdown passes in NFL history. 283 consecutive games played. 164 wins as a quarterback—40 of them coming from behind. A lock for the Hall of Fame.

Bottom line: Favre ranks first all-time in every single major passing category, including yards, touchdown passes, and wins. He earned three consecutive MVP awards and led the Packers to a Super Bowl victory in 1996. He played through more injuries than almost any player in history.

And yet he is still overrated.

He flat-out choked in the playoffs in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2007. His '96 Packers were 1,000 times better than the New England Patriots, and it would have been considered an enormous disappointment had they lost the Super Bowl. The Pack was heavily favored against the Broncos in 1997 and did lose, costing Favre a second ring.

He forces way too many passes and has set interception records that may never be broken. The last 11 years of his career have not matched his first six seasons, and some of his full seasons have been flat-out disappointing for a quarterback in the NFL.

Favre is a fantastic quarterback, and probably the greatest in team history. But he is nowhere near number one and struggles to crack my list of the top 10 quarterbacks of all-time.

.99 for you thoughts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
MVP

Kriech23's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Brett Favre=Mr. Overrated

I agree with almost everything you said. Who's in your top ten if Favre isn't?
Old 08-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
Pro

bucksfan07's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4ever
Nine Pro Bowl selections. Seven division titles. Super Bowl champion in 1996. Most Valuable Player in three consecutive years. Most touchdown passes in NFL history. 283 consecutive games played. 164 wins as a quarterback—40 of them coming from behind. A lock for the Hall of Fame.

Bottom line: Favre ranks first all-time in every single major passing category, including yards, touchdown passes, and wins. He earned three consecutive MVP awards and led the Packers to a Super Bowl victory in 1996. He played through more injuries than almost any player in history.

And yet he is still overrated.

He flat-out choked in the playoffs in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2007. His '96 Packers were 1,000 times better than the New England Patriots, and it would have been considered an enormous disappointment had they lost the Super Bowl. The Pack was heavily favored against the Broncos in 1997 and did lose, costing Favre a second ring.

He forces way too many passes and has set interception records that may never be broken. The last 11 years of his career have not matched his first six seasons, and some of his full seasons have been flat-out disappointing for a quarterback in the NFL.

Favre is a fantastic quarterback, and probably the greatest in team history. But he is nowhere near number one and struggles to crack my list of the top 10 quarterbacks of all-time.

.99 for you thoughts.
I'm a die hard Packers fan and I agree with you; Favre was terrible in just about every big game and his decision making made you want to pull your hair out. He's not top 5 of alltime, but definatley top 10 IMO.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

I need another beer.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

I guess the phrase, "the QB gets all the credit for the win and all the blame for the loss" holds true in this case. Especially the ladder part of that quote.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 17

I think he's over-rated as far as all the "best ever" talk. When you start every game for 17 years you're going to rack up stats. He's lucky Mike Martz wasn't coaching the Packers because Favre would've been run out of Green Bay 5 years ago. And I don't even rate Pro Bowl awards, it's a popularity vote. Favre had no business being given a Pro Bowl nod last year. He was certainly a great QB for alot his career and I wouldn't try to take that away. But personally, he would have a hard time cracking my top 7-10 all time. To me, saying Favre is the greatest QB of all time because he has the stats is like saying Emmitt Smith is the best of all time because he has the most yards. Niether is the case IMHO.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 89

Farve is the reason they lost the Super Bowl against the Broncos, he missed the easiest throw in the world on 4th down, man was wide open, Brett threw a pass my grandma could have thrown better...

Brett = Classic Choker
Old 08-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 27

Brett Favre was a great QB. One of the all-time greats. But "best ever" is a tag that's almost blasphemous to put on him. I cringe when people attempt to talk him up there.

I'm going Joe Montana, then perhaps Johnny Unitas, and I may even hear an Elway argument or two, but after that it's just all reaching.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »