Home

The best WR of all-time not named Jerry Rice?

This is a discussion on The best WR of all-time not named Jerry Rice? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: The best WR of all-time not named Jerry Rice?

IMO Marvin Harrison

Small extracts on an article on Marvin Harrison some years ago (2004 i think) when he was in his prime.

"I've coached 17 years in the NFL and I was in the NFC West when Jerry Rice was in his prime, and I think he's a better receiver than Rice was in his prime," says Texans defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, an assistant with the Saints from 1986 to 1994. "He's much tougher to cover 1-on-1 than Rice was. I'm not knocking Jerry Rice; I'm just telling you how good Marvin Harrison is."

A report card on Marvin Harrison by an NFL scout whose team has played the Colts this season.

[check] SPEED: Outstanding. As soon as the ball is snapped, he's at full speed. It doesn't matter what route he runs. If you're even with him, he's by you.

[check] ROUTE RUNNING: Outstanding. He never tips what he's going to do. You don't know if he's going to run an out, run an up or run inside. Some guys run and chop and dip a shoulder. The way he plays, everything is so smooth and effortless. He runs at you, he plants and, the next thing you know he's five yards away from you.

[check] HANDS: Outstanding. You don't get as many catches as he's had the last five or six years and not have good hands. They're just very dependable. He doesn't drop many balls.

[check] READING/ADJUSTING TO DEFENSES: Outstanding. He's always open. He knows the defensive backs he's going against, and he knows what he can and can't do.

[check] BLOCKING: Average. If you're looking for something to fault him on fault him on that. He's not going to sit there and hammer anybody.

[check] OVERALL: Outstanding. His game does not vary. It's always at a high level. He does it in all conditions, in all settings, at all times. He's just so dependable. It's beyond steady. It's reliable, it's production. All those things you want in a receiver, he is.--D.D.

I would still keep Rice at N°1 though
Old 08-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 12

Lance Alworth belongs in this discussion.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Should we really be having "all-time" discussions amongst people that have watched football for 30 or less years?

Nobody knows anything but numbers. And numbers don't translate through eras.

I would limit a question like this to say 20 years.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
Should we really be having "all-time" discussions amongst people that have watched football for 30 or less years?

Nobody knows anything but numbers. And numbers don't translate through eras.

I would limit a question like this to say 20 years.
It's an open-ended question. To me, the discussion behind it makes the thread better. So there is no right or wrong answer. And if you want to say that this WR is the best in the last 20 years then I'd love to hear the explanation. It's ok when you just rattle off names like Irvin, Moss, Harrison. BUT it makes the discussion better when you say why.

And your right, numbers don't translate through eras. But I think people who respond to this thread already have that understanding. There are already votes in this thread for Don Hutson. If you looked at his numbers, he wouldn't even stack up to TO. BUT if Hutson played in TO's era and adjust Hutson numbers to the modern time, Hutson's number would dwarfs TO's.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #13
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Paul Warfield, They didnt call him "Poetry in Motion" for nothin.It was said the post pattern should be renamed "The Warfield"He had terrific hands,body control,balance,tough in the middle,Blazing Speed,Ran Perfect routes.He was a great wr of years past and one of my favs for sure.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...-Paul-Warfield

Last edited by ANDROMADA 1; 08-14-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 5

rrrrrrraaaaaannnnndddyyyyy moss, is the next best thing as far as big play receivers he is number. not even jerry rice cn compare as far as tds. randy cme into the league wit 17tds. jerry only surpassed tht once. randy 3 times and more to come. if randy, got more receptions nd yards, he would be closer to jerry rice if not better.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph
IMO Marvin Harrison

Small extracts on an article on Marvin Harrison some years ago (2004 i think) when he was in his prime.

"I've coached 17 years in the NFL and I was in the NFC West when Jerry Rice was in his prime, and I think he's a better receiver than Rice was in his prime," says Texans defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, an assistant with the Saints from 1986 to 1994. "He's much tougher to cover 1-on-1 than Rice was. I'm not knocking Jerry Rice; I'm just telling you how good Marvin Harrison is."

A report card on Marvin Harrison by an NFL scout whose team has played the Colts this season.

[check] SPEED: Outstanding. As soon as the ball is snapped, he's at full speed. It doesn't matter what route he runs. If you're even with him, he's by you.

[check] ROUTE RUNNING: Outstanding. He never tips what he's going to do. You don't know if he's going to run an out, run an up or run inside. Some guys run and chop and dip a shoulder. The way he plays, everything is so smooth and effortless. He runs at you, he plants and, the next thing you know he's five yards away from you.

[check] HANDS: Outstanding. You don't get as many catches as he's had the last five or six years and not have good hands. They're just very dependable. He doesn't drop many balls.

[check] READING/ADJUSTING TO DEFENSES: Outstanding. He's always open. He knows the defensive backs he's going against, and he knows what he can and can't do.

[check] BLOCKING: Average. If you're looking for something to fault him on fault him on that. He's not going to sit there and hammer anybody.

[check] OVERALL: Outstanding. His game does not vary. It's always at a high level. He does it in all conditions, in all settings, at all times. He's just so dependable. It's beyond steady. It's reliable, it's production. All those things you want in a receiver, he is.--D.D.

I would still keep Rice at N°1 though
Good points,Now if "Shooter" could just stay out of the headllines I'd appreciate him even more
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #16
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

I would say these modern guys all have arguments of following up Rice:

Michael Irvin - look at yards per catch. For a four year span he was comparable to Rice and in some cases compared favorably. Didn't score as many touchdowns as other great receivers. Blame Emmitt Smith.
Randy Moss - Spectacular but sure had some head scratching seasons right in the middle of his prime. If he worked as hard as Irvin or Rice could have been the greatest ever.
Terrel Owens - 139 tds for his career, amazing, but not as amazing as 197 for Rice.
Marvin Harrison - excellent for a long time, much like Rice.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »