Home

The best WR of all-time not named Jerry Rice?

This is a discussion on The best WR of all-time not named Jerry Rice? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #41
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: The best WR of all-time not named Jerry Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox1994
Who's a better route-runner: Marvin Harrison or Rod Smith?
Harrison was the better route runner.

Smith was better after the catch and more physical with defenders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I hate to break it to you. But Harrison's not even in the same league as Jerry Rice. It's not even close and has nothing to do with longevitiy.

There is simply no comparison.
alright, tell me why.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #43
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The15thunter
alright, tell me why.
Rice had no weakness. He was the best receiver in the league for over a decade. He changed the way defenses play. He changed the way WR's run routes,and train.

He had no peer as a route runner, he had no peer as an after the catch guy, and he also had the ability to get behind the defense. No WR ever played bigger in Super Bowls, ever. No wide receiver ever ran that 8 route inside the hashes better than he, almost unstoppable doing that.

Watch the 1994 SB or the 1988 SB, Marvin Harrison never in his career had performances like that, nevertheless on the biggest stage in the game.

Harrison is a very good WR, but he's probably not even the best WR of his era. Jerry Rice is widely regarded as the greatest WR ever.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #44
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
You don't happen to be influenced by the fact you're a Packer fan do you?

For me Hutson is lilke Sayers. I know he was great. That's not arguable, but without seeing him play at all, and I have seen only a few clips of him, there's no way I can compare him objectively to say a Randy Moss.
LOL, maybe I am but there is no arguing he dominated the game when he played. I am sure I put more effort into looking into his career becuase he was a Packer.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 9

^Definitely. The thing I don't get about comparisons between Rice and Moss is that Rice wasn't quite as blessed athletically, I don't think. But Rice practiced well. He prepared himself. And he never quit.

Moss is a well-known quitter. He is super-blessed athletically. But he's not a hardworker. Not by a longshot.

It's like comparing Payton with somebody... but I don't know who. I haven't seen any RBs that are blessed athletically but don't prepare... Idk, maybe Duane Thomas?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Rice had no weakness. He was the best receiver in the league for over a decade. He changed the way defenses play. He changed the way WR's run routes,and train.

He had no peer as a route runner, he had no peer as an after the catch guy, and he also had the ability to get behind the defense. No WR ever played bigger in Super Bowls, ever. No wide receiver ever ran that 8 route inside the hashes better than he, almost unstoppable doing that.

Watch the 1994 SB or the 1988 SB, Marvin Harrison never in his career had performances like that, nevertheless on the biggest stage in the game.

Harrison is a very good WR, but he's probably not even the best WR of his era. Jerry Rice is widely regarded as the greatest WR ever.
No one is in the same league as Jerry Rice, no one. He was that good. He is the best WR of all time, and 2nd place isn't even close. Jerry has done anything and everything a WR could possibly do, and way more.

Anyway, yes I am a Colts fan, and I know that you're going to respond to this post with that comment. So I'll just get it out of the way for ya. But seriously, Harrison is just a "very good" WR? He's a great WR. Idk how you can say he's just very good, and not great. And please tell me who was better than him in his era, because I can't think of anyone other than maybe Randy Moss, but he had a horrible stretch of seasons in his prime. So I can't put him up there. Harrison was consistent every down, every game, and every season. I honestly think the fact that Harrison was so quiet and never really opened up to people and the media, hurt him and his legacy. I think us Colts fans actually understand and have a better grasp of how good he actually is, than people that don't get to watch him every game and hear about him on local TV/Newspaper.

But I've since moved to Florida for college, so I won't be able to watch Colts games every Sunday.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 08-17-2009, 12:26 AM   #47
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox1994
^Definitely. The thing I don't get about comparisons between Rice and Moss is that Rice wasn't quite as blessed athletically, I don't think. But Rice practiced well. He prepared himself. And he never quit.

Moss is a well-known quitter. He is super-blessed athletically. But he's not a hardworker. Not by a longshot.

It's like comparing Payton with somebody... but I don't know who. I haven't seen any RBs that are blessed athletically but don't prepare... Idk, maybe Duane Thomas?
athletically blessed but lacks preparation - reggie bush.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #48
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
No one is in the same league as Jerry Rice, no one. He was that good. He is the best WR of all time, and 2nd place isn't even close. Jerry has done anything and everything a WR could possibly do, and way more.

Anyway, yes I am a Colts fan, and I know that you're going to respond to this post with that comment. So I'll just get it out of the way for ya. But seriously, Harrison is just a "very good" WR? He's a great WR. Idk how you can say he's just very good, and not great. And please tell me who was better than him in his era, because I can't think of anyone other than maybe Randy Moss, but he had a horrible stretch of seasons in his prime. So I can't put him up there. Harrison was consistent every down, every game, and every season. I honestly think the fact that Harrison was so quiet and never really opened up to people and the media, hurt him and his legacy. I think us Colts fans actually understand and have a better grasp of how good he actually is, than people that don't get to watch him every game and hear about him on local TV/Newspaper.

But I've since moved to Florida for college, so I won't be able to watch Colts games every Sunday.
I've watched plenty of Harrison. You are correct he was great. As far as his era. I think Moss, and TO certainly have arguments at the very least. I am no fan of TO, and he gets the dropsies but in his prime you can not ignore the impact he has on a game.

I like Harrison, he's a techincian, I think he's in the running for the best of his era, but with a guy like Rice there's no question where he stands.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »