Home

Unsigned 1st Round Picks

This is a discussion on Unsigned 1st Round Picks within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Unsigned 1st Round Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865
Well that's not cool if he's getting low balled by the Bengals, but by the same token, he doesn't necessarily deserve more than last year's #6. He should probably get a better contract than this year's #7 though obviously.
I agree, last year's number is more of a guideline that shouldn't be firm, but this year's #7 AND last year's #6 is a pretty solid base for his complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
If the 7th pick is a Quarterback it could very easily happen, but that is the only time. Now that being said DHB was drafted by the Raiders who overpay players all the time, which is probably the Bengals' logic.
Still doesn't make much sense unless he got a ton more than last year's #6 AND the Bengals offer also ignored last year's pattern. They're low on both sides.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Poor Bengals fans, their owner is just so darn cheap.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Crabtree's holdout sends me all the red flags I need. Yes, you were a better WR in college than Heyward Bey. Now go prove that you are a better NFL receiver. Let's not kid our selves you sign the contract if in 3 years you feel you are underpaid, then you can make extension demands and have a track record to back you up. In a situation like this I would let him sit. It would look bad on the niners, but This kid isn't going to be in a position to help you for what 3-4 weeks into the season, but you will have to pay him 3-4 game checks for nothing. I mean I'm sure than 95% if not more of your offensive installation is done and you are fine tuning right now. He is so far behind the 8 ball, his rookie year is almost a waste.
That's certainly a valid opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
If the 7th pick is a Quarterback it could very easily happen, but that is the only time. Now that being said DHB was drafted by the Raiders who overpay players all the time, which is probably the Bengals' logic.
Certainly. And that's the situation. How Smith or anyone else could not understand this is beyond me.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:48 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 8

Assuming Hill is named starter, I really don't think Crabtree would be a huge step up in terms of production. They've already got two good route runners and I think that's Hill's bread and butter -- a short, control passing game.

It'd be great if he signed but I really don't think the niners success or failure depends on him. I'm beginning to think their biggest issue is at safety. They've got two ball hawks at CB -- with good safeties to shut down the run and help in coverage, they could let loose and really try and pick defenses apart. Without good safeties though... Might see a lot of big passing plays against em... :-/
Old 08-23-2009, 09:20 PM   #21
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

Could SF trade the "rights" to Crabtree to another team if they can't sign him and another team was willing to pay his ransom? Is that legal in the NFL or do they just have to sit on it until next year? I agree with the school of thought that says I wouldn't even go that hard to sign him now, he's held out so long that he won't even be able to contribute for several weeks probably, plus you've got your camp and preaseaon depth chart setting up. If Crabtree has been studying the playbook, than maybe it's a little different, but even then, how much can he do THIS YEAR? If I was the SF GM, every day he held out I'd offer less money for Year One.

Another question, if they don't sign him at all, would they get a 1st round compensation pick like in MLB?

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #22
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteykirch
I just find it funny that McShay lambasted Kenny Britt for being a diva and not a team player, and on the other hand Crabtree was the gentleman and a scholar of a human being. McShay will never take those words back, which spread around the NFL and lead to Kenny Britt dropping to the Titans, when he easily could've been the third WR taken overall.
Kenny Britt was never going to be the third WR in the draft. He was taken a round or two too high as it was.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #23
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieShoes
Assuming Hill is named starter, I really don't think Crabtree would be a huge step up in terms of production. They've already got two good route runners and I think that's Hill's bread and butter -- a short, control passing game.

It'd be great if he signed but I really don't think the niners success or failure depends on him. I'm beginning to think their biggest issue is at safety. They've got two ball hawks at CB -- with good safeties to shut down the run and help in coverage, they could let loose and really try and pick defenses apart. Without good safeties though... Might see a lot of big passing plays against em... :-/

Rookie WR's rarely produce anyway.

That being said, this sure puts more validity to some of the questions that caused him to drop like a rock in the draft. Personally I would never take a Texas Tech, WR based on the offense they run, but I certainly wouldn't take one with off the field and character issues as well . If Debartolo was still running the club no way they take that guy.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #24
Banned

peteykirch's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Kenny Britt was never going to be the third WR in the draft. He was taken a round or two too high as it was.
LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO

Yes, that's so accurate. Out of all the First Round WR's, he had the best NFL Body, and spent 3 years in a pure Pro-Offense...

Crabtree....Gimmick Pass 75% of the time = Insane Numbers
DHB.....What was he 3rd Team Honorable Mention ACC? So there were what 9 WRs better than DHB?
Maclin...I would say he was one of the more complete WRs in the draft.
Harvin...Injury concerns, once again gimmick offense where he padded his numbers mainly on bubbles screens, dinks, dunks, only looked highly on due to playing in SEC
Nicks...One catch against WVU = HOLY GOD WE NEED HIM, poor work out ethics.
Robiskie...was another some what well put together WR.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »