Home

ESPN: Usain Bolt Could Go to the NFL

This is a discussion on ESPN: Usain Bolt Could Go to the NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: ESPN: Usain Bolt Could Go to the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
You're actually right, I had the wrong time. I forgot that I saw that stupid youtube vidoe that said he ran a 3.75.
There is no way he ran a 3.75. The dude who is starting and stopping the stopwatch messed up. Usains 40 time would be in the 3.9s. A track and field expert has already converted it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 12

not saying it will happen but anyone saying it's totally out of the question should Google the name Renaldo Nehemiah
Old 08-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #27
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I don't see this happening mainly because Bolt makes tons of money right now. Why would he want to take a pay cut AND get a beating in the process?

Besides, we've seen multiple track guys go into the NFL with varying levels of success and other then Bob Hayes who more or less revolutionized the vertical game for WRs most have been fairly average guys.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 25

There is a lot more to being a receiver than just speed. Jerry Rice averaged around a 4.65 and was still the most dominant receiver ever IMO. Route running, hands, technique of how to fight off a DB at the line, being able to position yourself while in the air to avoid DBs and catch the ball, being able to defend a DB from an INT if it's a bad throw, adjusting on the run to where the ball is going to land, ability to take a hit and still hold on to the ball, awareness at all times about where you are on the field and being able to get two feet down on sideline catches, etc. It's more than just throwing the ball deep and hoping the guy will out run everyone and catch it. These guys have played football for years and trained for years to be in the NFL for a reason. There are plenty of freak athletes out there who would love to play professional sports, but just being an athlete doesn't cut it. I'm sure people would love to experiment with him, but unless he has any football skills at all then I think he would be a complete bust. Not to mention he would be a target of interest amongst defenses.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 7

They reported the same thing after he crushed the field at the olympics.

Maybe colleges will start scouting young kids from the Caribbean paradise.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

To answer everyone's question......

40 yds = 36.576 m

So you just set up a ratio to find the "equivalent" time. I use quotation marks, because 100m time is not actually how fast he would run 40 yds. The 1st half of a sprint is always slower than the 2nd half.

So multiply his record time (9.58 seconds) times 40 yds (36.576) & divide by 100m. That gives us 3.504 seconds. Again, its 100% likely his 40 time would be a little bit slower than that, because you have to give him time before he reaches his top speed. At his 200m time, its 3.51.

My guess would be his 40 time is definitely under 4.0, but not lower than 3.65.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!

Last edited by J0nnD0ugh; 08-20-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmst30
There is a lot more to being a receiver than just speed. Jerry Rice averaged around a 4.65 and was still the most dominant receiver ever IMO. Route running, hands, technique of how to fight off a DB at the line, being able to position yourself while in the air to avoid DBs and catch the ball, being able to defend a DB from an INT if it's a bad throw, adjusting on the run to where the ball is going to land, ability to take a hit and still hold on to the ball, awareness at all times about where you are on the field and being able to get two feet down on sideline catches, etc. It's more than just throwing the ball deep and hoping the guy will out run everyone and catch it. These guys have played football for years and trained for years to be in the NFL for a reason. There are plenty of freak athletes out there who would love to play professional sports, but just being an athlete doesn't cut it. I'm sure people would love to experiment with him, but unless he has any football skills at all then I think he would be a complete bust. Not to mention he would be a target of interest amongst defenses.

Agree 100%, exactly what I was going to say.

Speed is not everything for a receiver.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #32
MVP

OVR: 29

can he block? doubtful

does he understand route concepts and settling zones? doubtful

can he catch? doubtful

can he move laterally? possibly, but doubtful that hes great at it

even if you only ran go routes when he was on the field, if the defense played anything other than cover 1 or cover 0 they would have safety help over top to nullify his speed

if the bears are actually interested in signing him then they are absolute morons

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »