Home

ESPN: Usain Bolt Could Go to the NFL

This is a discussion on ESPN: Usain Bolt Could Go to the NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #65
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: ESPN: Usain Bolt Could Go to the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
And you would have nothing to destroy my accusation. Let's face it. **** slips through all the time in the Olympics. The Olympics are notorious for athletes getting caught.

Hey, dude could be be clean, but he's reminding me too much of Marion Jones.
Not to derail this topic any further, but:

I hear you that no testing system is foolproof, but the whole basis of modern society in general is that the burden of proof lies with the accuser. Just because I can't prove Bolt isn't taking PEDs can't be used as evidence by you to back up your accusation that he is in fact taking PEDs.

One could just as easily accuse other dominant individual athletes, such as Michael Phelps, Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, Rafael Nadal, etc. etc., of taking PEDs if you can't trust the systems that are in place to weed out the cheaters in each of their respective sports.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheRim
Usain Bolt going to the NFL is like saying Michael Jordan in his prime would go pursue a career in water polo its never going to happen. Bolt is the face of Track and Field and it will stay like that for the next decade (safe to say a decade because people are becoming faster and stronger).
Haha, perhaps a bad example? Jordan did retire in his prime to go play for a minor league baseball team. Though I agree he has no monetary incentive to go elsewhere.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #67
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieShoes
Haha, perhaps a bad example? Jordan did retire in his prime to go play for a minor league baseball team. Though I agree he has no monetary incentive to go elsewhere.
Yeah, I had a feeling it wouldnt be a great example since MJ did leave the NBA once. I was pretty much stating that Usain Bolt would be downgrading himself finacially if he were to go to the NFL. If he went to the NFL he would be the fastest with or without pads (most likely), but what else does he have besides un-normal levels of speed and acceleration? His whole legacy as a Track and Field Legend would be hurt if he were to go play in the NFL.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #68
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
Not to derail this topic any further, but:

I hear you that no testing system is foolproof, but the whole basis of modern society in general is that the burden of proof lies with the accuser. Just because I can't prove Bolt isn't taking PEDs can't be used as evidence by you to back up your accusation that he is in fact taking PEDs.

One could just as easily accuse other dominant individual athletes, such as Michael Phelps, Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, Rafael Nadal, etc. etc., of taking PEDs if you can't trust the systems that are in place to weed out the cheaters in each of their respective sports.
I'm not sitting here with evidence that Bolt is using. I'm just skeptical. Being skeptical doesn't mean I am outright accusing. I just wonder, that's all.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #69
MVP

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheRim
Yeah, I had a feeling it wouldnt be a great example since MJ did leave the NBA once. I was pretty much stating that Usain Bolt would be downgrading himself finacially if he were to go to the NFL. If he went to the NFL he would be the fastest with or without pads (most likely), but what else does he have besides un-normal levels of speed and acceleration? His whole legacy as a Track and Field Legend would be hurt if he were to go play in the NFL.
Was going to jump all over the Jordan thing but got beat to it.

And I'll ask agian, why is everyone assuming he knows nothing about football or has no other skill set besides flat out speed? Did he do an interview or something?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #70
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieShoes
Speed only makes a difference in Madden. Bolt may be the fastest guy in the world but he doesn't get up to that speed for 50 yards. Neither does anybody else. In football you're rarely running more than 10-20 yards in the same direction. I doubt Bolt accelerates significantly faster than the guys already in the league.
Boy is that a wrong statement. Speed may not be the only requirement, but to say it makes no difference is completely false.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 08-23-2009, 01:22 AM   #71
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaduck
Was going to jump all over the Jordan thing but got beat to it.

And I'll ask agian, why is everyone assuming he knows nothing about football or has no other skill set besides flat out speed? Did he do an interview or something?
Well Usain is from another country, so I guess that is the answer to your question. In Jamacia people only care about Track/Field, Soccer, and cant forget Bobsledding.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 01:31 AM   #72
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Bolt has no monetary reason to go to the NFL

http://blogs.smarter.com/sports/2008...e-money-later/

$1.8 million in the bank from 1 sponsor alone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »