Home

Who is the best RB is the NFL?

This is a discussion on Who is the best RB is the NFL? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #73
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: Who is the best RB is the NFL?

For the most part Rb's either can run or they can't from my observation...All they need to do is RUN.They arent qb's which take sometimes years to develop so I'm not buying the "these guys arent the best argument yet" either.To me that doesnt make sense.Rb's don't regress in 2years or all of a sudden forget how to run.Usually they have a slight learning curve and then they explode onto the scene some year 1 most by year 2.So dont kidd yourselves.Most of the backs mentioned are there for a reason,cause they are that good.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #74
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
For the most part Rb's either can run or they can't from my observation...All they need to do is RUN.They arent qb's which take sometimes years to develop so I'm not buying the "these guys arent the best argument yet" either.To me that doesnt make sense.Rb's don't regress in 2years or all of a sudden forget how to run.Usually they have a slight learning curve and then they explode onto the scene some year 1 most by year 2.So dont kidd yourselves.Most of the backs mentioned are there for a reason,cause they are that good.
Since this sounds related to discussion I'm having, my point is McFadden deserves mention too IF that's how you look at it. It's not like he only has college highlights or that his time on the field in the NFL saw him being stuffed (even though he played hurt most of the year). If the other sophs are "that good" based on the little we've seen, then so is he.

Personally, I don't see it that way. What happened to Maroney? Cadillac is healthy now but he's still not expected to ever repeat his rookie year. We heard that Barber was going to be mentioned with some of the guys already named here as soon as he became the main back... where is he?

Lets also consider what a difference a year makes. Atlanta's schedule should be tougher this year and Turner destroyed weak run defenses last year but was average against better teams. What will that do to his overall numbers this year? Chris Johnson came out with a bang when teams were focused mostly on White. As the season went on his stats became pretty average (after week 9 he had 2 "good" games against DET and CLE). I'm not saying that any of these guys can't be the best, but right now I'm only considering players I've seen do it consistently for multiple years. And for me, that definitely includes Portis.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #75
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Since this sounds related to discussion I'm having, my point is McFadden deserves mention too IF that's how you look at it. It's not like he only has college highlights or that his time on the field in the NFL saw him being stuffed (even though he played hurt most of the year). If the other sophs are "that good" based on the little we've seen, then so is he.

Personally, I don't see it that way. What happened to Maroney? Cadillac is healthy now but he's still not expected to ever repeat his rookie year. We heard that Barber was going to be mentioned with some of the guys already named here as soon as he became the main back... where is he?

Lets also consider what a difference a year makes. Atlanta's schedule should be tougher this year and Turner destroyed weak run defenses last year but was average against better teams. What will that do to his overall numbers this year? Chris Johnson came out with a bang when teams were focused mostly on White. As the season went on his stats became pretty average (after week 9 he had 2 "good" games against DET and CLE). I'm not saying that any of these guys can't be the best, but right now I'm only considering players I've seen do it consistently for multiple years. And for me, that definitely includes Portis.
good points.Yeah I dont know what happened to Maroney either he has been disappointing.Barber has always been overrated in "my" book,he is what he is a 4th qtr bruiser.Not bad just not the best.There is something to be said for consistenly getting good yardage.Portis is a good back too even though I cant stand the Skins.He has performed at a high level for years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #76
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quite an interesting discussion once we include the second-year guys. I still say AD's the best. I'd put CP right behind him, as I overlooked him earlier.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #77
MVP

OVR: 15

1. AD
2. Clinton Portis
3. LT
4. Steven Jackson
5. Brian Westbrook

Then, you can mention one year wonders, rookies, and guys that have been above average for a while. Honestly, you can switch LT and Steven Jackson if you feel like it. Steven Jackson deserves a better team than the Rams. He'd rush for 2000 yards if you put him on just a decent team.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #78
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
1. AD
2. Clinton Portis
3. LT
4. Steven Jackson
5. Brian Westbrook

Then, you can mention one year wonders, rookies, and guys that have been above average for a while. Honestly, you can switch LT and Steven Jackson if you feel like it. Steven Jackson deserves a better team than the Rams. He'd rush for 2000 yards if you put him on just a decent team.
See we do agree. I honestly think it's a toss up between 2-5 listed there. Healthy LT/Jackson/Westbrook have been as good as anyone. I don't know if Westy can stay on the field but I think Clinton, LT and Jackson are going to all have big years. There are a lot of really good backs in the league right now.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #79
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
1. AD
2. Clinton Portis
3. LT
4. Steven Jackson
5. Brian Westbrook

Steven Jackson has top 5 talent, but he needs to stay healthy...

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 08-23-2009, 10:54 PM   #80
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I have no idea what that word is you made up. But I do know that if you've never watched the man play then your argument against him may be a bit more passionate than it should be. And if you go back to my exact quote, I have no idea where you get me comparing him to Parker or Gore. To be clear, if we're going to make sophs like Johnson, Slaton and Forte among the best backs in the league after just one year then McFadden deserves to be mentioned. I don't think any of them should be in this discussion. They all need to prove it over time, but I actually watched McFadden play with serious toe injuries on both feet and don't need to see stats to know he would've put up similar numbers to the other rookies had he been healthy.
Injuries or not, he didn't produce...It is not his fault, but he doesn't belong in this discussion..

But I understand the reasoning. It's different for everyone I guess. You're kinda basing it off what you think he might do, whereas I'm waiting to see what all that speed and power can do on the football field...

Bottom line, let's hope he is healthy because he's as skillful as they come at the position.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »