Home

Franchise Player?

This is a discussion on Franchise Player? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #49
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Franchise Player?

I'd pick Joe Thomas before I chose Jake Long, personally.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:10 PM   #50
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

I would too, OSU.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #51
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
Yeah, he'll probably get injured. No denying what history shows.

You keep coming back to the schedule. It's not like the Dolphins were playing college teams or anything. There weren't alot of great teams on the schedule, but at the end of the day they're still NFL teams.

Pennington played bad in the playoffs this year, but let's not forget that the Fins' OL was without both starting guards and that there were only 3 WRs active for that game. It's not like the running game even existed. The Ravens were just the perfect mismatch for the Fins. To pin every playoff loss on Chad's physical limitations is ridiculous. Dan Marino couldn't have looked good in that situation. Sometimes your TEAM just isn't good enough to beat the other TEAM.
Ah, so you guys had a lot of injury issues. That definitely hurts, but you can also say that every team has injury issues. I think the Steelers were without Marvel Smith, the Colts lost their RT in the Super Bowl, the Giants lost their C right before the start of their Super Bowl run, etc., but injuries always hurt, too.

Chad can totally prove me wrong, and if he does then that's great because stories where players come back from injuries are always nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
Bush, Shockey, and Colston all missed significant playing time. Shockey was catching passes from the greatest passer since Dan Marino and couldn't get a single TD. He had a terrible season.

True, there is more to a receiver than his draft status. Though he was an undrafted free agent rookie, Davone Bess played as good as any WR drafted ahead of him, but at the end of the day he just isn't a particularly talented player. He's slower than molasses and undersized. Lance Moore is a similar type of player. Drew Brees literally has looked good no matter who he was throwing to. If Lance Moore and Devery Henderson look like good WRs catching passes from Brees, it might just mean that Brees is that good.

I'd still like to hear why you put Rivers and Ryan in your top five but not Brees.
Well Brees is pretty darn good. I don't really have a problem with him being in the top 5. The reason I picked Ryan and Rivers over him was probably because Ryan was able to lead his team to the playoffs in his rookie season and is the most physically gifted of the three. Rivers is really tough, led the league in a number of stats last year, and has been maturing into a clutch quarterback. He's only ever gone one-and-done once and has had some pretty good games against my Colts. Last year Rivers kind of torched the best defense in the league in the playoffs, unfortunately the Chargers D got beat up on the ground.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2009, 01:41 PM   #52
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

What makes Ryan better than guys like Rodgers, Hasselbeck, Romo or Warner for that matter other than help getting his team in the playoffs?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #53
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
I would too, OSU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
I'd pick Joe Thomas before I chose Jake Long, personally.
Jason Peters?

Still would take Ware though.

You need a game changer like him on the defensive side of the ball.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #54
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
What makes Ryan better than guys like Rodgers, Hasselbeck, Romo or Warner for that matter other than help getting his team in the playoffs?
Warner has Fitzy and was actually pretty bad before he found Fitzy if you can remember his New York days. Hasselbeck is okay, but he's rather old and might be ending his career soon. He didn't play particularly well in the games he did play in last year, anyway. Romo is pretty good, but he has yet to have a good playoff game. Also, he's been helped by a terrific offensive line and receiving corps that I don't know if Ryan has had access to.

Rodgers could very well be on par with Ryan, but they were both first-year starters last year and Ryan's team went to the playoffs with arguably worse overall group of players and in a tougher division. About the only thing Rodgers has on Ryan are some stats, and even there Ryan averaged more yards per attempt and got sacked far less often. Rodgers was pretty far ahead in TDs, though. He might have been more polished last season, but Ryan will have the better career and may be better this season, IMO.

In case you can't tell, I'd want Ryan to be my QB. I'd also like Mario Williams at pass rusher (4-3) or DeMarcus Ware (3-4) and Jake Long at LT.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 08-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
Jason Peters?

Still would take Ware though.

You need a game changer like him on the defensive side of the ball.
Jason Peters is a strange case. He's been good at both tackle spots, but was arguably a bottom 5 LT last year because he held out of Bills training camp in an attempt to get more money. If a guy lets money get in the way of football, I'm not sure I want him on my team. He's got freakish athletic ability, but he's not consistent enough. Then again, neither Thomas and Long have been in the league long enough to make a sincere judgement.

I'm surprised no one has said Ed Reed yet. He's the greatest defensive back I've ever seen.

Based on potential, Ryan definitely is a viable pick in this situation, but Vince Young looked promising as a rookie, too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #56
Banned

OVR: 17

I really don't consider Kurt Warner a top QB. When has he ever been good without elite weapons? He had maybe the greatest offense ever in St Louis. He has the best WR combo in the NFL, including the best WR in general, who can make any catch on any throw he makes. He had his stopover in NY, without these awesome weapons, and he was horribly bad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »