Home

What happened to the Cowboys?

This is a discussion on What happened to the Cowboys? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #41
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: What happened to the Cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcurtain311
But given the hype they've gotten for the past three seasons, despite never being an elite team at any point, they're not so impressive. They shoudn't finish above third in their division, depending on what Haynesworth and Campbell do.
"not at any point in the last 3 seasons"?...The Cowboys DID win the NFC East a couple of seasons ago. That was "elite"

Of course, they choked in the playoffs and the Giants won the SB, but the Cowboys were an "elite" team that season. I doubt they will be "elite" this season though. I agree with 3rd place in the NFC East.

Last edited by ZB9; 09-10-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #42
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Lightbulb Re: What happened to the Cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcurtain311
The hype machine on this team and especially their QB and RB is just downright ridiculous. Romo can't play under pressure. And he's not a very good QB. I see a guy who looks completely lost out there at times, who constantly tried to force the ball to TO or Witten. Marion Barber isn't a very good RB at all, and is going to spend his career injured constantly if they seriously think he's an every down back.

I think their management is a big part of it. Jerry Jones is an idiot. How do you trade a first rounder for Roy Williams, mid season? It's mind boggling. Williams did nothing at all for their offense. Absolutely nothing.

The reason everyone is sour on them this year is because they've done nothing to get significantly better this off season. While the Eagles did, and the Giants are bringing back a good team from last year already, and could be even better this year. The Cowboys lost their only good WR this offseason, and now Romo is going to be throwing to Crayton and Williams alone. Although Witten is awesome, you can't expect THAT much offensive production from a TE. If you're relying on a TE to carry your offense, you have some serious problems.

So how can a team who were mediocre at best last year, who crumble under pressure every year, who have arguably gotten worse in the offseason (or at least, haven't gotten better), not be picked behind the Eagles/Giants, who were not only better teams than the Cowboys last year, but have gotten better this offseason?

To play devil's advocate here, Felix Jones is the real deal and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as the Cowboys feature running back, taking over for Marion Barber by season's end.

As for Roy Williams, he's a very good receiver who is capable of being the #1 guy if he plays with more consistency and not occasionally drop what should be a routine catch. Plus he has to get better at getting off the line quicker and beating defensive backs in press coverage, which has always been a major weakness in his game. It's unfortunate for Roy that most cornerbacks in the NFC East teams like to put their hands on wide receivers. So Roy will have to prove he can make them all pay for doing this or else teams will be able to effectively take him out of the Cowboys offense. No matter what happens, I wish him well.

Kruza
Old 09-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #43
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
How have the Giants and Eagles improved? Both have instability on defense and the same WR problems as the Cowboys. The Eagles OL won't just instantly gel because they added the most inconsisten LT in the game.
I guess you ignored my lengthy reply to you a page or two back...

How?

Eagles: Added a stalwart LT, a solid RT, get back former PB RG Shawn Andrews, have a healthy Curtis, a greatly improved DeSean Jackson, Maclin has looked good in the preseason and figures to factor into the offense, LeSean McCoy is as solid a back from the '09 draft class as any other back AND plays the same style as Westbrook. PHI adds a capable run-blocking FB in Leonard Weaver who's also a threat in the flats, and good in short yardage (A MAJOR problem for us last year). Not to mention the addition of one of the premiere weapons in the NFL pre-dogfighting scandal...who has flashed that same ability in limited playing time.

Quote:
Isn't it a tad early to call Romo a choker? He's played in two playoff games ever. It's not like he's pissed on his leg in four NFC Championship games or anything. Romo still has time to improve.
He hasn't dispelled that notion of choker...besides...to play at a high level in the reg. season only to fumble a snap that cost Dallas their season, and follow that up w/ completeing 50% of your passes and an INT to RW McQuarters to end the game in your subsequent postseason appearance...Chooooookerrrrrr.

Then...while in the hunt @ 4-2. Romo misses 3 games due to a "pinky" injury. One of which was a loss to the 2-14 Rams, where Brad Johnson throws 3 INTs, and had Romo played we can pretty much have expected a win...but no my pinky hurts...

THEN...in wk17...win and your in for Dallas, Romo throws a key INT, AND get's sacked by Dawkins, fumbles, and Clemons takes it to the house for 73 yd TD.

Franchise QBs rise to the occasion in games like these, not falter.

Romo is nothing more than a fantasy football boxscore. Give me Eli Manning when the game is on the line...over Romo AND McNabb. He's proven himself worthy in BIG games.

Quote:
The idea behind saying the Cowboys got better is that without TO they won't have the personnel to air it out like Garret likes to. They'll have to stick to a running game that, on paper, is top five in the NFL.

I'm not saying the Cowboys are the favorites in the division. All I'm saying is that the Cowboys won't be the laughing stock of the NFC East.
Who called Dallas a laughing stock? They'll be a good team, but compared to the NFC East...they're 3rd best in the division...deservedly so.

The OP prefaced this thread by saying that a once 13-3 team, favored to represent the NFC in the Superbowl last year, has fallen from grace if you will. Deseveredly so too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong7777
Being a Skins fan, I hate Dallas to the fullest, but they do have talent. If it's not the talent, it must be the coaching and game planning.
Every team has talent, utilizing it is the key...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Yeah, as if last year has anythign to do with this year. While your stuck in the past, how many SB's have the Eagles won in the last 10 years? That's right the same as the Cowboys. And how many SBs have the Eagles won as an organization? Yeah, get back to us on that one.
A 44-6 loss in a win and your in game is a lot more recent than a 1996 40-15 Wildcard win...that being the last playoff win by the Cowgirls. -or- Superbowl victories featuring some of the game's greatest teams, coached by one of the eras greatest.

The Eagles Superbowl success, or lack thereof wasn't the topic...IMO a wk17 win and your in loss by the Cowgirls... w/ virtually the same team entering this year, albeit minus one of the games best WRs is substantially relevant.

All the Eagles ever faced in the Superbowl were perhaps 2 of the best teams of those respective decades...but whatever.

Last edited by JBH3; 09-10-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #44
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

The Cowboys can potentially be a dangerous team this year if they utilize all three of their running backs, if Roy Williams fulfills his potential and comes remotely close to justifying his trade value, and if the guys we've developing for years finally step up to the table (Austin, Hurd, Carpenter, Spencer). We've got enough good-to-great core talent to make noise (Romo, Barber, Ware, Witten, etc.)

The Cowboys certainly weren't splashy this offseason, but if the team plays as well as I think they can then they won't lose anything for not being splashy. I understand reasoning behind the predictions of third or worse in the NFC East, but (call me a homer) I don't agree with them. I don't think we'll win the NFC East, but I expect a Wild Card berth.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #45
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
Just a year ago they were the top pick in the NFC by most experts.

Now those same experts are picking them 3rd and some 4th in their division. What happened?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/team?team=dal

The "experts" aren't really experts. That is the problem. Anyone who didn't see the Cowboys as being over hyped year in and year out must not watch must football in the NFC East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
WR isn't the Eagles' problem anymore. And they have a prototypical #1 receiver.

Everything else you said is on point, though.
Oh really. Those three slot receivers you have me shaking in my boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
they have a wussy as their "franchise" QB, a soft coach, and a below average GM...that is what happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
They aren't that good of a team. Every year they are hyped up and every year they fail, I guess some people finally got sick of picking them to go to a superbowl.
You fooled me once. You'll fool me twice. Dman do these medoits ever learn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
Riiiiight. A QB who can't play past a pinky injury, and a #1 WR who has played a full season once over a 5 yr career. Coupled w/ really nothing behind him in the WR corps, and an inept 2008 Marion Barber.

The defense hangs its hat on hoping veteran Keith Brooking doesn't lose a step, and that someone replaces the production of Chris Canty and Gregg Ellis.

The O-Line looks good on paper, but had it's share of injuries and managed to get their QBs sacked 31 times...tying JaMarcus Russell.

All that and more, and I haven't even gotten to the release of a top5 WR/all-time great.

"In flux"? No my friend...Buffalo...Washington...those are O-Lines in flux. The proper word here would be revamped. Runyan and Tra Thomas were stalwart tackles, but Runyan showed his age and Thomas has forever had back issues. They moved forward w/ Peters, and signed Shawn Andrews brother to man the right side. If Shawn Andrews is healthy and ready to play then there is one of the best RGs in the league back in action. Otherwise, the Eagles have always had depth on the O-Line, one of Reid's strong points he addresses through the draft.

Dawkins is gone, and yes he meant a lot, but it falls under that let him go a yr early instead of a yr late mantra. Besides, the Eagles filled the FS position w/ a stop-gap measure in Sean Jones who can make plays (11 sacks in '06). Also...Quinton Demps is no slouch either. And Quinton Mikell is an up and coming SS.

MLB since Trotter left town has always been a revolving door. Omar Gaither, who held it down respectively when our DTs were still wet behind the ears can step in there. However, Joe Mays has looked good in camp, and the Eagles also signed a serviceable Matt Wilhelm.

As for RB, rookie LeSean McCoy is poised for a big year as a rookie, and RB is a position where rookies can come in and flourish. Especially in a good system like ours which will take advantage of his pass catching skills much like the Eagles have done w/ Westbrook.

Our running game is actually looking like the best it's been in years...much like the 2003 Eagles who amassed almost 2,000 yds between Duce Staley, Westbrook, Buckhalter, and McNabb.

As for our smurf receivers. Speed kills. DeSean Jackson hasn't shown any reason to not excel regardless of his size, and w/ a year under his belt things will only get better. I'm not expecting much from Maclin, but he should factor into things given there are A LOT of other weapons to account for. Kevin Curtis has speed on the outside, and Jason Avant is a good possession receiver who can go over the middle along w/ TE Brent Celek.

All that...and we still have the wildcard in Vick. I'd say it's ridiculous to not consider Philly a favorite in the East.

Domenik Hixon is a very good WR. #1...well that's TBD, but he's very good. The Giants will lean on the run, and do just fine doing it. Ahmad Bradshaw can step right in for the departed Ward as a change of pace back, and Brandon Jacobs is a beast w/ an even more beastly offensive line in front of him. The Giants are a deadly team, and I can't seperate them from the Eagles. They'll be there to the end.

I watch A LOT of Redskin football being that I live here in NOVA. Campbell has issues going downfield, just as much as the Skins have issues calling plays for him to do so.

If any one team in this division has questions on the O-line it's the Skins. After suffering injuries to LT Chris Samuels, G Randy Thomas, & T Stephon Heyer and little to no depth at any of those positions...should an injury occur again which is highly likely...this is an Oline in flux. If you followed the team, and/or had an ear to the ground on Redskins radio you'd know just that.

Their defense is solid and should keep them in games, but if the offense can't amass more than 20 pts/gm the Skins will be in the same predicament they were in last year.

I was agreeing with everything you said until you went on your Eagle pride speech about your put together O line. Then doubting the Skins line just because we don't have depth. We actually have more depth this year but no team can afford to have a start lineman go down. I am more worried about how long our line can last. They are getting older and can't hold up through the whole season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarcia
Its fun reading all these posts by Cowboy haters. Hatin just 2 hate, lol. Look everybody despite what you may think the Cowboys are a very talented team, Tony Romo has rare abilities that maybe only 2 or 3 QBs in the league may have. They have 2 starting running backs and a burner. All pro TE J. Witt Dogg (c. cooley) an above average O-line, good WRs watch out for K. Ogletree.

Defense is gonna shut it down this year too.
iLL REMEMBER THIS THREAD WHEN WE R KICKING YOUR TEAMS ***
Woo hoo. Ride em cowboy.... You showed them.lol ..........Ogletree isn't doing a damn thing and I laugh at the fact that you think Romo is something special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruza
To play devil's advocate here, Felix Jones is the real deal and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as the Cowboys feature running back, taking over for Marion Barber by season's end.

As for Roy Williams, he's a very good receiver who is capable of being the #1 guy if he plays with more consistency and not occasionally drop what should be a routine catch. Plus he has to get better at getting off the line quicker and beating defensive backs in press coverage, which has always been a major weakness in his game. It's unfortunate for Roy that most corner backs in the NFC East teams like to put their hands on wide receivers. So Roy will have to prove he can make them all pay for doing this or else teams will be able to effectively take him out of the Cowboys offense. No matter what happens, I wish him well.

Kruza
That story made me feel bad for poor old Roy. You mean Corners in the NFC East like to manhandle a huge uncoordinated receiver at the line. Who would of thought? To think is Felix Jones is full time back even though he hasn't made it through a full season yet is a bit of a stretch.

I think it is pretty obvious why the Cowobys have finally lost their medi hype. Losing TO is big to the media and the team. They will miss him and their draft this year was horrible becuase of injuries/choices/ and because of the Roy Williams Trade. OF course they will be competitive and might beat the SKins even though their season is going no where. That is just the way it is in the East. As skins fan all I can hope for is Dallas to fall apart, the Ealges to relive the TO saga now with Vick . And for Eli to be more worried about getting drunk around NY then putting his team on his back. Then for us to surge through the play offs only to beat the undeafeated Patriots in the SB sending Bill Belacheat and Brady into hiding forever. I can't wait.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #46
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake44np
These are not good drafts at all!
To only get 1 or 2 starters from each draft is horrible, hell someone has to start.
To only draft 3 Pro Bowlers in 6 years is pretty pathetic. I know you list Hester as a Pro Bowler but come on he only made game as a returner.
That "horrible" GM (Jerry Angelo) was not far behind the "great" Parcells in terms of solid players drafted. And Angelo's talent got his team to a Super Bowl.

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...
Old 09-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #47
Isildur's Heir

McLite's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
A 44-6 loss in a win and your in game is a lot more recent than a 1996 40-15 Wildcard win...that being the last playoff win by the Cowgirls. -or- Superbowl victories featuring some of the game's greatest teams, coached by one of the eras greatest.

The Eagles Superbowl success, or lack thereof wasn't the topic...IMO a wk17 win and your in loss by the Cowgirls... w/ virtually the same team entering this year, albeit minus one of the games best WRs is substantially relevant.

All the Eagles ever faced in the Superbowl were perhaps 2 of the best teams of those respective decades...but whatever.
This exemplifies what this forum has become. The fans vs. the haters. Let's call another team a name (because that's mature), downplay history (because it doesn't benefit us), and just keep preaching our rhetoric louder and louder (while ignoring everyone else).
Old 09-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #48
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu Man Ching
I was agreeing with everything you said until you went on your Eagle pride speech about your put together O line. Then doubting the Skins line just because we don't have depth. We actually have more depth this year but no team can afford to have a start lineman go down. I am more worried about how long our line can last. They are getting older and can't hold up through the whole season.
"Put together" is a rather loose statement. You've got arguably one of the best left tackles in the league entering Philly, AND has him a new contract. Yes...he had a bad year in Buffalo in '08, but there was also an equally bad O-line as a whole there, and they've only gotten worse now.

If your someone who follows the NFC East, and especially a div. rival than you know that Andy Reid is pretty adept in plugging in personnel at the O-Line.

Projected Starters:
LT-Jason Peters: 55 Games Started; 65 Games Played
G/T-Todd Herreman: 50 GS; 50 GP
C/G-Jamaal Jackson: 56 GS; 56 GP
RG-Shawn Andrews: 50 GS; 50 GP
RT-Stacy Andrews: 32 GS; 62 GP

Bench Experience:
C-Nick Cole: 6 GS; 48 GP
LG-Max Jean-Gilles: 11 GS; 16 GP

The injury to G/T Todd Herremans, whose not expected back until after wk4, cuts into our depth but at least we've got someone who's started 11 games (admirably) to fill in.

Which is more than you can say for Washington who hangs their depth on a comeback from OT Mike Williams and really nothing else to speak of.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »